The Electic Kool-Aid Acid Test

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by charbono, May 23, 2004.

1. LaurelBayTree

LaurelBayTree Senior Member

Read it. Loved it. Apparently Wolfe is still alive for he was on The daily show a bit ago and is from North Carolina...I never knew that and he just came out with a new book.

2. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

I too love this book, I love the style of the writing , very free and easy for me to understand, kinda like a Kerouac book. I loved how everyone in the EK-AAT met with a large number of important people from that generation, the inception of the grateful dead, Neil, Hunter S. Thompson, Timothy Leary, its a veritable who's who of the psychedlic age.

Get on the bus!

(That sounded like a reading rainbow review.)

Duh du Duh!

3. guitarslinger

guitarslinger Schwa

Very good and indepth story of kesey and the whole atmosphere

4. Acorn

Acorn Member

sounds good. is it all about the acid tests?

5. blu raven

blu raven Member

I read it in january of 1970 and by summer all kinds of people had read it here in st paul mn. which is always behind the west coast on things. I think the book had an enourmous effect on us kids back then and really did a great deal to further the hippie movement, which I think is the best thing to happen I ever heard of. Somewhere I was reading something by Timothy Leary and he was saying that they were hopping to get like a million people turned on by such and such a date and he was really pleasently surprised by all the people that did he said, "we did'nt count on the high school kids" Ram Dass, says "never under estimate what the acid movement did", good luck and happy trails

6. deserttraveler

deserttraveler Member

I am reading that book right now, it's by Tom Wolfe. It is by far one of the best reads ever, it explains Ken Kesey's life (writer of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) and his acid trips with his group the "Merry Pranksters" in the most interesting non-fiction book I've personally read. Awesome read, just suggesting it for all!

7. The Acid Queen

The Acid Queen Member

This is one of my favorite books, if not my very favorite. I love it!! :)

8. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

9. Acorn

Acorn Member

i want to read that book.

10. Koolaid

Koolaid Member

Hooray ...One of my favourite books of all time..I even called myself koolaid after it....

Is like it is written in technicolour.....

11. guitarslinger

guitarslinger Schwa

Yeah its a really good book. I coulndt write a book now let alone write one after hanging out with all those crazy folks. I recomend it to everybody that i think is in to the things im into.

12. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

oh cooool i jus 'requested' it from my libary...so ill prolly read it starting next week! i hope i stick 2 it..it sounds good but it takes a good book for me 2 stick 2!

13. goldmund

goldmund Member

Loved the book, esp. the historical info on the dead. The end kinda bummed me out.

14. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

try reading _kesey's garage sale_ or _the further inquiry_ for some other viewpoints, eh?

15. mart_182

mart_182 Member

im reading it atm as well, only a little way through so far though, i will endevour to read loads more tonight!!

16. SpAcEdDeadhead

SpAcEdDeadhead Member

that book is mind blowing! Definately my favorite book

17. SpAcEdDeadhead

SpAcEdDeadhead Member

I havent read Kesey's Garage Sale yet but Ive got The Further Inquiry...thats an amazing book! You cant go wrong with Kesey.

18. lildeadheadash

lildeadheadash Member

Yeah it is a really great book. :) I have Tom's new book called "I am Charlotte Simmons." It's about college life. Haven't started it yet, because it's over a 1000 pages.

19. goldmund

goldmund Member

I heard Wolfe is pretty conservative nowadays.

20. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

Anybody read Wolfe's new novel yet, what's it called, about deccadent college life?