The Earth doesn't care about global warming

Discussion in 'Global Warming' started by wahoodoggydoo, Oct 27, 2011.

1. wahoodoggydoo

wahoodoggydoo Guest

Please do your homework before you flame me. First, I am a use less, reuse, recycle person.

I have recently been studying the history of the Earth, and it is apparent that current global warming will have inconsequential effects on life on Earth. Current CO2 levels are 390ppm up from 280ppm before the Industrial Revolution. In the short term, the spike in CO2 is exponential and cause for much alarm. But you can't judge the impact of CO2 levels in the 'blink of an eye' of a few centuries. NatGeo shows that CO2 levels were 1500ppm 56million years ago. Wikipedia shows that CO2 levels were 3500ppm 49My ago before the Azolla Event.

The current CO2 level of 390ppm is 9 times less than millions of years ago. And life thrived back then. Life thrived on Earth for millions of years with no ice at the poles. If the current global warming event ultimately results the complete melting of all ice at the poles, life on Earth will thrive as it has before.

Humans have the ability to change the Earth, but we do not have the ability to ruin Earth. Because life on Earth has endured and thrived in conditions radically different than what we meek Humans can dish out.

Study the history of the Earth. Keep an open mind. And you will realize that Humanity is just a speck, and life on Earth just yawns at our self-proclaimed power to change it. 3500ppm CO2 on a thriving Earth. We are at 390ppm. Humans can cause another 3110ppm increase in CO2 and life will keep on humming. We can cause the poles to melt completely, and life will keep on humming.

Conserve the environment because it is the right thing to do. But stop worrying about global warming. Humanity isn't as influential as we would all like to think.

2. walsh

walsh Senior Member

Congratulations! You have won the "Dumbest Post on HipForums" award for the month of October. Please collect your award of a month's worth of free thinking classes at your local elementary school.

3. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

good idea.. that is one of the beautiful things about earth.. whatever falls on the earth, the earth absorbs and transforms it. however, i think it is still a good idea to be concerned about anthropogenic global warming because we still must take care of the earth so that life can continue to exist without conflict.

4. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

It seems you contradict
    - if it is not big a problem why do you bother to recycle?

- I'm afraid that humans can ruin the Earth - or does the cutting down of Rain Forests not matter? The environment is changed because of the actions we take.
    - Nature has a balance and at the time that you suggest 'humans' were not in any, or have as much powere as they do now.
    - Look at the wiping out of species through man-made disasters (oil leaks, mining and warfare consequences)
    - More radically, exploding a nuclear bomb in Yellowstone, the San Andreas fault line or Manila Trench would ... not be good
    Hunanity is influential and guarding against those who belittle it - is a danger for which there will be consequences my friend

5. SapphireNeptune

SapphireNeptune Member

"Because Humans/global warming can't annihilate all life on Earth it's not a real problem"

Oh is this the debate?

No kidding global warming isn't going to annihilate the Earth, early life on Earth survived even during Snowball Earth when the whole Earth was covered with ice. It's the destruction of habitat, endangered species becoming even more endangered, farm land drying up, more destructive storms and flooding, and climate change in various areas that threaten to disrupt entire food chains, all in a time frame neither human or simpler animal can adapt to quick enough.

6. cass_jenner

cass_jenner Member

CO2 isn't the problem. It has become what people talk about - the big boogeyman because - they cannot bring themselves to talk about whatthe real problem is because that is way too contentious.
    And that is people. Too damn many of the fuckers. Using up stuff, turning fertile land into desert wasteland, putting their trash everywhere and generally making life miserable for every single other animal species on the earth. We dont own this place. We just live here.
    But population control is taboo because people believe its their "human right" to have as many children as they like, and of course because of fucking religion - Catholics esp,,,and general ignorance.

7. walsh

walsh Senior Member

We need to remember that humans aren't concerned about "life" - they are concerned about humans. If we knew that global warming would have no threat to humans or our way of life, but would wipe out millions of species of insects and microorganisms, we would take no notice at all.

8. SapphireNeptune

SapphireNeptune Member

Probably has more to do with the fact when people say "population control" it's generally people talking about sterilizing people in the third world when the vast amount of carbon releases among other trash being produced is from extremely wasteful first worlders, so it creates a bit of a double standard.

9. wahoodoggydoo

wahoodoggydoo Guest

Did I say I didn't care? No, you infered that I didn't. I'm talking about the facts. Humans can't ruin Earth. Cutting down the rain forests is less of an impact than other events life has endured throughout time. Nature does not have a balance, unless you consider ancient asteroid impact as 'balanced' nature. Mass extinctions have happened over-and-over again in Earth's history. A nuclear bomb in Yellowstone, what another supervolcano event? Like the many supervolcanos life has endured throughout time? You miss my point. Humans can't snuff out life because life is so much more powerful than we are. We do not need to 'Save the planet' because life will live on no matter what we do. Radical climate change is an integral part of the Earth's history. I am trying to open minds to the 4.6 billion year history of the Earth and what an insignificant flash-in-the-pan humanity is. I agree with the guy who states that human overpopulation is the problem. In that respect, I'm glad I had no children. I'm trying to put a positive spin on this. Live your life. Do the right thing. But stop freaking out over global warming because we humans simply don't amount to squat.

10. walsh

walsh Senior Member

You don't get it, do you? We're not talking about saving 'life' - we're talking about saving humans. You think mankind cares about some obscure species of mosquito in the Amazon? Not at all, humans only care about humans - and as long as global warming threatens our comfort, we will worry about it.

11. The_Phantom

The_Phantom Member

You might also want to check and see just how much of the "Global Warming" is caused by the increasing brilliance of the sun. There is a point in the future when, no matter what we do, the earth will be so warm that water will no longer exist in liquid form. Before we get to that point, all life on earth is likely to have been extinguished. That is because the sun is constantly getting warmer.

Do we bottle up all the CO2 and aim it at the sun in an attempt to keep it cooler?

But, then... If we were to survive that, the Andromeda Galaxy is on a collision course with the Milky Way. Coming at a speed of 472,000 miles an hour.

No hurry. We've only got about 1.5 billion years to think about it.

12. ghonadz

ghonadz Member

Hey, troll, why are you posting this irrelevant bullshit on several different threads? Don't you have anything better to do than waste everyone's time with this drivel?