The Dutch Create the Real Big Brother

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by skip, Sep 14, 2005.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Looks like the Dutch have gone and done it now.

It wasn't enough to create Big Brother the TV series.

Now they have made Big Brother, for real.

And it seems they haven't a clue what they've wrought.

I like the way they make it seem so innocuous.

Forgive them for they know not what they do.

Too bad this wasn't setup before the Nazis occupied Holland. Would've made their lives a lot easier, and NO ONE would've escaped.

So who is raising the red flag about this in the Netherlands?

From AP newservice
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050913/ap_on_re_eu/netherlands_child_files_1

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - The Dutch government plans to open an electronic file on every child at birth as a tool to spot and protect the troubled kids of the future.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2007, all citizens will be tracked from cradle to grave in a single database — including health, education, family and police records — the health ministry said Tuesday.
    As a privacy safeguard, no single person or agency will be able to access all contents of a file. But organizations can raise "red flags" in the dossier to caution other agencies about problems, ministry spokesman Jan Brouwer said.

The intention is to protect troubled children, Brouwer said. Until now, schools and police have been unable to communicate with each other about truancy records and criminality, which are often linked.

"Child protection services will say, 'Hey, there's a warning flag from the police. There's another one from school. There's another one from the doctor," Brouwer said. "Something must be going on and it's time to call the parents in for a meeting."

Every child will get a Citizens Service Number, making it easier to keep track of children with problems even when their families move, said Secretary of Health Clemence Ross.

"Safety, guidance, education and supervision are incredibly important for the development of children," Ross said.

All Dutch births are currently registered with local authorities.

2. consolidated

consolidated Banned

The whole child protection service is a mess right now here.. Due to government cut backs and this whole right wing politics.. I'm actually attending a lecture about how to protect children of 'bad parents' on september 26.. I'm curious if they say anything about this..

3. skip

I would agree that this could help a child who would normally fall through the cracks of the bureaucracy, but that's HARDLY enough reason to impose Big Brother upon the entire population.

No, it's not kids in trouble that all this is about. That's probably the only decent selling point their spin doctors could come up with.

It's about anyone who MIGHT start trouble.

It's about the definition of trouble itself.

It's about those who get to set the definition of trouble.

It's about those who have access to this data.

It's about the power of those who have access to that information to control, manipulate, coerce, falsify, leak, delete, sell, extort, corrupt, blackmail, violate, steal, misuse and abuse in so many ways.

Yup, the Dutch are gonna go for this, just like the TV show. I'm sure it'll be successful in ensuring that no Dutch stray from the MASTER program.

They gonna brand that database number onto the ass of every baby soon as it pops out of the warm security of the womb into the cold arms of Big Brother?

Once the Dutch traded in slaves...

So how do ya Dutch like being the slaves now?

Your government OWNS YOU, baby!

4. lovelightlisa

lovelightlisa Senior Member

it is really scary, i hate this. i'm a bigbrotheriswatchingyaschizoid, i've always been scared of the whole 'big brother' idea, and it's getting pretty real. i don't want my kid to be owned by the government.

5. wizarddrew77

wizarddrew77 The Wiz

What you gonna do when Big Brother comes around
    Askin' for the young one's name
    And lookin' for the print of his hand for the files in their numbers game
    I don't want his chance for freedom to ever be that slim
    Let's not tell 'em about him --
    Go for Home Birthing!

6. lovelightlisa

lovelightlisa Senior Member

yay for home birthing!

7. jasonspaceman

jasonspaceman Member

Sadly, nationalism is so entrenched in the psyche of the netherlands at the moment (especially in the youth), that this will just glide on through.

8. skip

Hey, if it ain't Dutch, it ain't much... ;)

9. TheLizardKingMike

TheLizardKingMike Members

I sure hope this doesn't reach the states. But it will, in time.

10. consolidated

consolidated Banned

I beg to differ.. Don't think this will ever become a law.. Because the government is walking on egg shells right now and when the elections come those people will be punished for their policy.. The current government only have 19% of the dutch people behind them so..

11. jasonspaceman

jasonspaceman Member

I hope you're right, although it looks like this one is already well in the works.

12. skip

"The current government only have 19% of the dutch people behind them so.."

Really? That would mean they are completely ineffective, unable to make any policy.

Why isn't there a no-confidence vote?

13. consolidated

consolidated Banned

I wonder about that myself.. Allthough the people are really fed up..
    I think it's kinda sweet you guys worry about our country so much.. maybe instead of complaining on this forum you can come join us and help overthrow this harry potter regime.. 24 september there is a big protest gathering in The Hague.. So come join us :)

http://www.keerhettij.nl (site is in dutch)

14. skip

Wish I could be there! But if the Dutch are now acting like the Aussies, I might get deported for participating in a protest and voicing my views in public.

Good luck with dumping your shit. Flush him down a canal, please!

15. consolidated

consolidated Banned

I don't think you can get deported for that here.. We still value freedom of speech..
    So australia is that bad? Nice country you come from Jason..

16. jasonspaceman

jasonspaceman Member

I am not going to get into a debate here defending Australia's constitutaional issues (which are numerous and complicated). But since you asked, Skip is referring to some new laws which enable the government to expell foreign visitors who are deemed to be a threat to national security.

These laws are currently being used to send a US activist back to the US. While sending him back is disgusting and worthy of public condemnation, it is not in reality an issue of free speech. He isn't technically being sent home because of what he has been saying here. The real issue that people should be pissed about is the fact that the completely unjustified, reactionary anti terrorism laws are being manipulated in his instance. This is why people should be against the 9/11 type laws, because the definition of terms like 'terrorist' and 'national interest' are all to easily stretched to catch people like this activist.

I guess I'm tryly screwed. My country of birth is revoking visas and the other country in which I am also a citizen is one small step away from microchipping the entire population. At least the aussies are friendly for the most part and the weather is good!

17. skip

Eggzactly! It's just like banning someone from this site because you don't like their politics.

When they manage to silence everyone out of fear (just like Karl Rove has done with democrats and the media), they will have succeeded in creating the ultimate Big Brother.

18. jasonspaceman

jasonspaceman Member

And that day is drawing closer and closer. We're already 70% of the way there.

"In Germany, first they came for the communists and I did not speak out because I was not a communist.

Then they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics and I did not speak out because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me."

--- Pastor Martin Niemoller (1892-1984) ---

19. guest1234

guest1234 Visitor

nah, youve other - maybe even worse - policies to worry about.

this government has gone completely mental, but thank God i heard on the news that the majority of the people wants a more left cabinet.

20. guest1234

guest1234 Visitor

zaterdag he? jaaaa dan kan ik :D