the difference between hippies and bohemian/beatniks

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by beatniksik, May 21, 2004.

1. beatniksik

beatniksik Member

well i take the original post back, but i want to know what's the difference?

2. Edward G.

Edward G. Edwardson

Oh gimme a break... -_-

3. beatniksik

beatniksik Member

it's true i think

4. kier

kier I R Baboon

's bullshit....no...its just shit, otherwise im giving bad publicity to bulls

im fed up with all this classing crap

we are all indevidual...you may hang around with similar people, as you'll have more fun with them....but you are all, every one of you, even those who are considered posers, all with no exceptions are individual

5. beatniksik

beatniksik Member

i don't like posers.

ghandi said it himself, "a man is only as good as his actions"

6. kier

kier I R Baboon

question:

why do you do what you do?

7. beatniksik

beatniksik Member

what do you mean, when i'm old enuff i'm definitely going to africa to help out. well what would you say to a person who say's "ima hippy ima hippy" but still talks trash about celebrities that they watch on some entertainment channel and gossips behind people's backs, and loves expensive clothes and is rude, etc... that's a wannabe hippy or a poser to me

8. SunFree

SunFree Member

You know, it's more referring to the social movements than anything else, the beat generation coming in the late fifties with Kerouac and Ginsberg and being carried over to the early sixties by Kesey and Cassady, until it was taken over by those wacky hippies that we love so dearly.

Or maybe I'm just out of the loop here.

9. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Don't know and don't care.

Actually I've always thought Bohemians were just intellectual free spirits, hippys with class. They make me think of Victorian poets for some reason.

The beatniks were a diffrent thing all together. A sort of fore runner of hippys. They seemed to dig the freedom and expression thing more than peace and love. Read Kerouac and you'll understand.

TTFN

Sage

10. thepixies

thepixies Member

the difference is the people who belong to that social group. you can never sort people into groups bnecause everyoen is different. im sure some people who call themselves hippys share the same views as the bohemians and beatniks; and vice versa

11. uriah

uriah Member

i think the actual answer is more complex than anything anybody has said so far, clearly the most obvious theroy on the difference between hippies and beatnicks hasn't been stated, its all in the length of their noses, thats it. you have a long nose you are a beatnick and you can never be yourself becasue your nose will classify you.

12. RandomObsession

RandomObsession Member

From a Bohemian, to whomever - we're not necessarily hippies with class, we're just overly artsy - usually an artist of some kind (re: music, painting, film, dancing, scultping, etc...). Think East Villiage NYC, Venice Beach Cali, something along those lines.