The Dead!

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by AoXoMoXoA420, May 12, 2004.

1. AoXoMoXoA420

AoXoMoXoA420 Member

hey older hippies...

I just got tickets to see the dead. im excited... it'll be my first dead show.
    any memories to share with me?

2. sonik

sonik Member

To stoned to remember, I think it was good.....

;)

3. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

My life change in a big way after my first show.You will love it have a great time.

4. AoXoMoXoA420

AoXoMoXoA420 Member

nice..

my dad told me something similar, and that he didn't want to leave when the show was over. im excited...

5. freakwentflyer

freakwentflyer Member

Just let loose and have a good time.

I haven't seen the Dead since '93. Spent many years going to shows on the west coast and always had a great time.
    My girlfriend at the time had a brother-in-law who became a good friend of mine, and he was a casual friend of Bobby Wier. I was lucky enough to get back stage several times, and even smoked out with Jerry and Bobby once.
    Be smart. Lots of undercover cops at the shows. Too many hippies sitting in jails these days. Don't be one of them.
    Enjoy

6. SunFree

SunFree Member

Holy.... whoa. You...WHOA.

Haha...I feel like these are the only kind of comments I ever make in this section :p

7. cotter builds

cotter builds Member

thats fucking awesome to toke with jerry! hes a fucking angel for christ's sake!

anyway, i went to a dead show last year, and that was the biggest cloud of marijuana smoke ive ever seen....and when we were leaving about a half hour before the end, about 15-20 cops were marching in as we were leaving.....i felt bad for the fellas still in there

8. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

They're coming to my town. It'll be my first time seeing them, too. I'm only hoping that they do "Sugar Magnolia", "Jack Straw", and/or "Dark Star", during the night.

9. TerrapinRose

TerrapinRose Member

I just wanted to say it's so beautiful to see young people begining their journey. Be careful and smart out there and take care of each other,remember what you put in is what you get back.You really are the future,and can decide what kind of world you want to make to live in. Sorry if I sound like some old mom,but hey,that's where I am now. Love and Light to you all!

10. sunshinedaisy11

sunshinedaisy11 Member

I'm seeing them for the first time this summer too! Can't wait man!!!! :D

11. Althea

Althea Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Ahhhh.....to see the Dead for the first time *memories* :) Think I was 'bout 14 when I saw my first show. I'll never forget it (especially the part when my dumbass boyfriend got on the off ramp instead of the on ramp on the way home :eek: ). The show was unbelievable though. Goin' to see the Dead isn't like going to any other concert.....it's an experience. There's a certain vibe in the air (come to think of it, there's more than just a "vibe" in the air *lol*). I've been to a bunch of shows, but I think the most memorable was the last one they had with Jerry here in Chicago. My hubbie and I went with some friends and I remember so well at one point during the concert we were all dancin' and havin' a blast when my hubbie suddenly said to me "Enjoy this show.....Jerry's not gonna be with us much longer". I got a chill when he said it at the time....and a bigger one when Jerry passed shortly after. I've been to shows since (really enjoyed last year with Joan), but I'll always miss ol' Jer. :(

This year my hubbie and I are takin' our two eldest son's (12 & 14) to see the Dead. They're soooo excited, and I can't wait to be there with 'em for their first show. Plus, with my hubbie and I there I know they won't be gettin' into any trouble ;)

As others have said, be careful and smart. With the relaxed atmosphere it's easy to let yer guard down. *End of "Mom" talk*

Enjoy the show guys!

12. Terrapin Flyer

Terrapin Flyer Banned

the words "the bus came by and i got on, thats when it all began" will take on a new meaning for you.

i grew up on dead tour with my mamma dukes. i dunno i guess the dead mean somthing different to everyone while still tapping in to the same vibe and energy. my only advice to ya'll younger folks venturing out to see the dead is to watch for wrecking crew and to keep on dancin' till the daylight. lovin' yall.

~shine on in love and light~
    Sundance

13. lildeadheadash

lildeadheadash Member

i saw the Dead for the first time in Holmdel, NJ. To tell you the truth I didn't really remember alot of it because I was trippin. All I remember is the music was really good and I knew after my first show I wanted to go again.

14. blackriverlily

blackriverlily Member

im going to my first this summer. to say im excited is one hell of an understatement! one question, how long before should i get there..with all the cops around, will the pre party be as big?

15. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I am going at least to the Detroit show. I would like to catch the Bristow and Raliegh shows too, but $$$ is an issue.

16. HersheDog_BananaCat

HersheDog_BananaCat Member

Anyone going to Denver?..

17. Terrapin Flyer

Terrapin Flyer Banned

see ya there. i love red rocks.

~shine on in love and light~
    Sundance

18. Experience Haze

Experience Haze Member

Im going aug. 15, YAY! im relitivly new to the whole Grateful Dead and to this board.

19. PeaceLuvinHippieTaz

PeaceLuvinHippieTaz Member

Gosh reading through all these threads is bringing back such good memories. My oldest son just turned 21 and he's been raised by a hippie Dead Head He literally grills me about those haze day's. I've seen The Greatful Dead 3x's and, Yes it was a life altering experience. I think I've told him the same story's 20 x's. We watched the closing of Wonderland together on DVD. Then 2 wks ago when The Dead came on at Bonnaroo I couldn't find him (so many people, so much rain) I was so sad that he wasn't there with me but then I went into that familiar trance and forgot everything for awhile. (They were totally Awesome!!!) After my son found me, he had been right at the front of the stage and he said it was the best concert he had ever seen and we have been to many fest's and concert's.
    I still have chill's!!! Peace and love, Taz

20. Evie Snatch

Evie Snatch Member

my first concert was the dead. i was 3 years old, in san francisco. my mom was pregnant with my little brother, and i hear i was dancing with my dad in the aisle. i can't tell you how much i wish i remembered it in the greatest detail, but i like to think this early exposure shaped me at least a little bit ;)