The Cost of Mescaline?

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by ancient powers, Apr 2, 2008.

1. ancient powers

ancient powers Member

If 1 gram of alkaloid salt = 1 foot of pachanoi. that is a sufficient dose. If your 1 foot cutting = $25. Then 1 gram of mescaline (pachanoi extract) should = $?

2. Mike_Mel

Mike_Mel Member

hmm.... to me it would really depend on who your selling to and what other dealers are charging at the time.

if there are no real dealers in your area then you could in theory charge as much as you want. But then some people my end up going to LSD which would be cheaper. A hit of LSD in Aus is like $18-$23....but cactus is like $25 for a foot of San Pedro

Im not really sure what the process of extracting the salts involves, is it very time consuming? are the chemicals and equipment expensive?

if it is then mark up a good amount so you can afford to start making it in larger quantities and then lower your price as you get more business.

If it were me, in sydney....i'd probably charge around $35 - $40 per gram

Not sure whether im really being much help :p

3. C123-473

C123-473 Member

Not economical.
    Trust me, you're not going to be the Tony Montana of mescaline.

4. polymer

polymer Senior Member

indeed. definitely not a profitable venture.

if you were to synth it from vanillin, on the other hand...

5. ancient powers

ancient powers Member

I agree. You have knowledge of synthesing from vanillin. Post up the recipe. The fact I can even make this extract is amazing. The total alkaloids prucured perfetly blend. If it is diffrent in any way then synthetic mescaline. It is perfect just the way it is and doesn't taste like shit (the bridge of crossing). I wouldn't be able to make any sort of profit at all using the rules of my technique. The test was done to see the strength of the extracted batch. knowing that 2.5 ft of san pedro would be safe and strong. now i know the average weight of procured extract is 3 g with my set up. Next experiment will involve the use of 1 g extract doses. $40 is solid for one dose for friends and family. $50 to outsiders.

6. polymer

polymer Senior Member

3,4,5-Trimethoxybenzaldehyde Synthesis
    by Hest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5-Bromovanillin
    Add 15,2g vanilin and 17,6g Br2 to 75ml AcOH, let the solution stir 1 h. Pour out the solution in 250mL ice-water. filter off the product. Dry and recrystallise from ethanol. mp. 162°C. TLC Rf 0,47 EtOAC:p 1:1

3,5-Dimethoxy-4-Hydroxybenzaldehyde (Syringaldehyde)
    In a two-necked round-bottomed flask equipped with a Claisen, and a thermomether into the solution, is dissolved 4.9g Na in 100mL dry methanol. After distilling off 30ml methanol, a solution of 17,9g bromovanilin and 3g Cu(I)Br in 50mL DMF is added in one portion. The distillation is continued until the reaction mixture reaches 100°C (takes app. 1-1.5 h. total methanol distilled off is 80mL). The reaction mixture is poured into 200mL 3M HCL/ice, extracted with 2*75mL EtOAc, the EtOAc is washed with 2*50mL water, dried with MgSO4 and evaporated. Mp.108°C (rec. from ethanol) TLC Rf 0,35 EtOAc:p 1:1

3,4,5-trimethoxybenzaldehyde
    10g 3,5-dimethoxy-4-hydroxy-benzaldehyde, 13.5g K2CO3 and 8.3g dimethylsulfate is dissolved in 80mL dry DMF, the solution is stirred for 2h and then poured into 800mL ice/water, the product is filtered off and xtalised from cyclohexane.

None of these reactions gives below 80% yield after the xtalisation.

The condensation with MeNO2 and Ethylenediammonium diacetate gives ~30% yield.

Reference: Synthesis 308 (1983)

7. polymer

polymer Senior Member

3,4,5-Trimethoxy-nitrostyrene.

A solution of 40 cc of nitromethane and 100 g. of trimethoxybenzaldehyde in 200 cc alcohol is cooled to 0 deg C and while it is stirred mechanically there is introduced a solution of 45 g. pure potassium hydroxide in 45 cc water and 90 cc methanol at the rate of about one drop per second, care being taken that the temperature does not rise. Fifteen minutes after the addition is completed the solution is poured into 500 cc concentrated hydrochloric acid mixed with sufficient fee to assure its presence throughout the slow addition and to maintain the temperature of -10 deg C. The precipitated nitrostyrene is separated by filtration and washing and may be purified by recrystallizing from 700 cc alcohol. The pale yellow plates which melt at 120-121 deg C are obtained in a yield of approximately 78% of theory.

Mescaline.

[A] APPARATUS

A cell of porous porcelain (PC) (external dimensions 75x160 mm) with a glazed rim is placed in a glass jar of 500 cc capacity, surrounded by a cooling bath. The anode is a lead or carbon rod, surrounded by a glass coil; the cooling water flows through the coil and discharges into the cooling bath. The cathode is a sheet of lead (220x90x2 mm.), which previous to each experiment is electrolytically coated with lead peroxide, in a bath of dilute sulfuric acid.

REDUCTION

The cathode liquor consists of a solution of 30g. 3,4,5-trimethoxy- nitrostyrene in 100 cc glacial acetic acid and 100 cc alcohol, to which 50 cc conc. hydrochloric acid has been added. The anode compartment is filled, to the same level occupied by the catholyte, with a solution of 25 cc conc. sulfuric acid in 175 cc water.

The reduction requires 12 hours, using a current of 5-6 amperes; the cathode current density should be about 3 amperes per square centimeter. The temperature is regulated by the flow of the cooling water and the catholyte should be kept at 20 deg C for the first six hours; the temp is then allowed to rise until it reaches 40 deg C at the end of the reduction.

When the reduction is complete, the catholyte is filtered, evaporated in vacuum and the residue taken up in 300 cc water Unreduced nitrostyrene is extracted sucessively with ethyl acetate and with ether. The crude mescaline hydrochloride solution in a separatory funnel is then treated with a cold concentrated solution of 100 g. of sodium hydroxide and the liberated base exhaustively extracted with ether. The somewhat concentrated and dried (potassium carbonate) solution is treated with a stream of dry hydrogen chloride and the separated hydrochloride twice recrystallized from absolute alcohol. The pure mescaline hydrochloride, thus obtained in 77% yield, forms white leaflets melting at 184°C.

8. ancient powers

ancient powers Member

Thanks for the synthesis post. someday when i have my psychem lab built. I will try this recipe.

9. polymer

polymer Senior Member

np

once i get the right fittings for my hplc pump, I'll be able to do some analysis on free bases. I have a column which is well suited to separate nonpolars, and a uv-detector with a microbore flowcell (excellent resolution) :)

10. rollontheground

rollontheground Member

ancientpowers, just sell it for like $5 per 100 mg's, than u make $125 off of 125g dried peruvian which u can prolly get for like $40 or $50, so yea your not gonna be tony montana but u can still deff tripp for free....

11. Geneity

Geneity self-proclaimed advocate

I did some cost calculating awhile back when I was trying to decide which psychedelic to do first out of a list I created (chose shrooms =P).

Anyway the mescaline part was:

[font=&quot]Mescaline
    [/font]
    [font=&quot]Dried Skins - $50
    Hydrochloric Acid - $20
    Xylene - $16
    Eyedropper/Turkey Baster - $4/$1
    Sodium Hydroxide - $6

Time – 3 hours
    Total - $100ish (after taxes)
    Total Yield – 175-1000 milligrams
    Dose – 400-600 milligrams
    Doses - .3 to 2

Keep in mind I made this awhile ago, and am a bit wiser now. I used reserach to calculate the yeild based on mescaline content of cacti (I think it was somewhwere on erowid, and another place as well). These prices are pessimistic and rounded up to the nearest dollar or two. Always better to overestimate with money. Was probably 2 ounces of dried Peruvian Torch or San Pedro skins.
    [/font]

12. ancient powers

ancient powers Member

Thank you guys for your info. I have a new batch of mescaline drying (actually san pedro extract) I scraped up just the clean crystals. then last nite I thought about c123. realized that if i did use more citric acid. i could pull more mescaline crystals out of the extract. but for now the pure extract is perfect as is. and $40 a gram for pachanoi is good. I think with peruvian I could get $60 a gram. Plus I could always use more citric acid when i salt the water to add some extra weight. This stuff is still drying so i haven't got the dried weight yet. :)

[​IMG] :drool:

13. IDL

IDL Banned

How much cactus did you use for that amount of extract? How much does it weight?

14. ancient powers

ancient powers Member

15. rollontheground

rollontheground Member

im confused...if the extract is almost pure mescaline, why would a gram of pachanoi be half the price of a gram of peruvian if its the same chemical and just as strong???

16. C123-473

C123-473 Member

If you used less citric acid and made the twice-linked acid/mescaline molecule, and collected just the crystals that precipitate out, the products from either cactus should be the same potency.

But, if you let everything evaporate together, your potency will indeed vary from batch to batch depending on the amount of excess acid and potency of cactus.

17. rollontheground

rollontheground Member

i thought the extract contained mostly alkaloids? wouldnt it differ like max 5%, or could one batch really be twice as strong as the other?

18. ancient powers

ancient powers Member

Yeah I will admit. I need a lab to do all the fancy work. what i do know is im yield 3-4 grams of this residual powder. It dried into a maroon colored powder. there is a common occurance where two types of powder constantly remain in a seperated state. the maroon powder never fully breaks down and if left to sit it sets. always underneath this maroon powder is a light orange powder that is really fine. and from lookin through the bottom of the jar i can see tiny sparkling crystals. im sure this is the mescaline. but since i used such a small amount of citric acid ( 1/2 tsp for 6oz of distilled water) i dont think i crystalized all the mescaline. i do believe some of it still remains in a semi basic form of a resinous oil. The extract taken with the 1/2tsp was definetly more organic feeling then the 3/4 tsp per 4oz. but less crystaliztion action. not that the 3/4 tsp wasnt perfection in its own right. but i think another thing to consider with the excess amount of citric acid your body chemistry is altered by the vit-c rush and the body becomes extremely acidic. this has to in some way affect the experience. the less citric acid used the more natural feeling of just more cactus alkaloid body chemistry with less of an acid body ph. I do think later on i will get into more fancy teks. but for now i got the cactus magic powder. no crossing the bridge of potion drinking. even though the partaking of the juice is fantastic in its own way. this powder makes it easier. now on to lsa and the mythical lsh.

19. ancient powers

ancient powers Member

oh and btw i cant sell this stuff. i dont even know people wo would ever do this stuff. I am all alone. i like to make it to have on hand for a good time. my experiments are for my own organic psychedelic medicines. kept with my magic herbs and such. I still need to test the dosge curve. like i said before man the whole amount of extracted powder from 2.5 ft of san pedro is to much all at once. maybe if i halved it out. but i do need to try a lower dose on my next trip. eventually i will get to it. its comforting to know its there and i dont have to wait on it. or buy it. i know its pure and good. thanks to c123 this work is finished.

20. ancient powers

ancient powers Member

oh and another thing if san pedro is .12% +,- mescaline fresh weight. and peruvian is .2% +.-. then suppossedly i would get more mescaline per extract and less companion alkaloids when doing a peruvian extract instead of san pedro. so instead of san pedro extract of 1 gram = 500mg mescaline the peruvian should yield like 750mg + mescaline per extract gram.