The college life!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by UltraChi, Feb 10, 2009.

1. UltraChi

UltraChi Member

Soo I am moving into an apartment with some friends next year and we finally signed the lease and of course with our luck we hear bad things about the manager AFTER we sign it....

We heard that they like to charge the tenants for any tiny amount of damage when the lease is up and don't follow through with fixing things and so on....

I thought that one way to save our asses was to walk the unit with the manager and write down all of the wear and tear that was already there before us.

Got any ideas/advice or problems anyone has had with apartment managers?? Anything would help!

2. Mr. Mojo Risin'

Mr. Mojo Risin' Senior Member

3. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

just write the management a letter detailing all the "imperfections" when you moved in. if things need repaired and they won't do it, you can sue them. or just do it yourself. and when you move out, and they're doing a walkthrough with you, anything they point out that you "damaged" you can say no, that was on the list i mailed you a copy of. or if it was you, depending on what it is, it should be considered normal wear and tear if it's something minor.

4. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Member

most landlords don't take highly to damages to their apartments.

they are pretty much all like that.

5. nesta

nesta Banned

welcome to life in an apartment.

6. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member

Take pictures before moving in as proof it was a rattrap to begin with [​IMG]

Hotwater

7. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy Refried Hippie

when we moved into our appt we got this check list to fill out about what was wrong with our place the day we moved in.

8. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

Oh and always get a receipt when you pay your rent, so that you know and they know that you paid it. Would suck to have to pay for the same month twice.