The British Royal Family And Gay Marriage?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jimbee68, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Something I just thought of, actually.

In the UK, gay civil unions are legal. And so is gay marriage, or at least it soon will be. Even the Tory prime minister supports it, in fact (consider that, 20-30 years ago).

So how far up does this law go and reach? Does the Church of England have to perform gay marriages now (or soon to be)?

And what about the royal family? What if Prince Charles suddenly decided to marry a man (okay, he won't--this is just a hypothetical legal question)? But could he pass off his new "husband" as the official Prince Consort? How would that even work? And would it even be allowed that way?

(BTW, I wholeheartedly support civil unions and gay marriages. It is truly a fundamental right, in my opinion at least. Gays have been marginalized in our culture for decades, if not centuries. Why the heck not, I ask?)

But back to my original question: How would it be handled? And what would the Archbishop of Canterbury have to say about the matter? He would perform the marriage, wouldn't he?

:crowngrin:[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Guess He May, If He Wasn't Too Busy With His Fave Choir Boy At The Time...... ;)

Cheers Glen.

1 person likes this.
  3. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Honestly, I don't think it would be allowed to happen. Even in this day and age, the political establishment would not countenance the idea of gay royal wedding. They'd impress upon the royal the importance and responsibility of their role as monarch, and strongly advise them to pursue their romantic ambitions in private, or suggest a "straight" marriage of convenience for them to retain their "cover".

There is nothing "stopping" this from happening, just as there is nothing "stopping" the queen from speaking out on political issues, but the royals would never do it, and would probably be prevented if they tried.

4. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

The problem is that when the '?Hippie Prince" - a named given for his championing of Environment and all faiths received such criticism and belittling that he was always going to be thought of as a bit weird.
    As far back as 2006 ( this was still the case.

Then in January = http://www.standard.co.uk/news/charles-hopes-of-multi-faith-coronation-dashed-by-church-7194390.html
    Until the Church (of England) recognises the legitimacy of Gay marriage - the conflict between king / Queen of the land of which one is "Defender of the faith" there is going to be conflict
    However,
    Maybe when/if Charles does accede to the throne, he may decide to take a leaf out of his ancestor's book -and start a New Church of/ for - a New England - hmm - Food for thought ;)

5. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Gay marriage is now legal here in the UK .It's been legal since 2014.(in Northern Ireland it's not legal) The Church of England won't do gay weddings though, so it's a civil ceremony.Some other religious groups such as Quakers do accept it. My guess is that within a few years the church will be offering gay marriage, but at present they are very divided over the issue.

My guess is that if a royal wanted to marry someone of the same sex, it would be controversial, and I don't know how they'd deal with it. Probably a series of cover ups, denials and ultimately even violence if that was the only way. Once the Queen is gone though, I think attitudes may well change. The next generation of royals will perhaps be more open to the idea.