The blonde judgement

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Ber-Limey, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Ber-Limey

Ber-Limey Member

Have you ever dyed your hair from one extreme to the other? I used to be blonde, I loved it. It felt like I go loads of attention. Not always good attention and mostly from men, but I thought I would take the rough with the smooth. Now I am really dark brown and women actually smile at me on the street now. It is really nice. I feel like part of a sisterhood that I was excluded from for so long. In shops women are much more likely to speak to me about their purchases or just to shoot the breaze.
    I really shouldn't do it but I have noticed that I look the other way or don't smile when I see a pretty blonde girl. I subconsciously don't want to make her any bigger for he boots than I suspect she already is. But what am I basing this on?
    Are you blonde, do you notice how other women look at you? Do you care? Why do we do this to eachother when we should be sticking together.

2. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

I've been blond ,and like you I currently have brown hair. I guess I haven't witnessed the judgement that you've described but I don't doubt that it exist. There are a ton a women who are catty out there and when they see a blond, whether it be a bottled blond or natural, I'm sure claws come out. It's rather silly if you ask me. It just shows insecurity and I can't imagine how any guy or gal could possibly be attracted to that.

3. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I was a platinum blonde for several years. To be honest, I get more attention now than I did with the blonde hair, but I don't feel any more accepted by women with my natural color as opposed to blonde, I still get attitude and coldnes. [​IMG]

4. sugarmaggie

sugarmaggie ~Green Eyed Devil~

I've never dyed my hair before, so I'm not sure how I'd be treated as a blonde. I'm like Hippychickmommy though..I still get coldness from women for the most part. Women can be so evil sometimes..

5. Bacchanalia

Bacchanalia Member

I'm sure that in most cases, the coldness is based almost solely on jealousy of some sort. sugarmaggie and hippychickmommy -- you're both bloody gorgeous, which is probably why you're bringing out the not-so-niceness in other women. They don't like the feeling of being "one-upped" by you.

By the way, I'm not in any way condoning that kind of behavior, merely trying to figure it out!

6. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

My hair has been every color and more....i notice a big difference with each color.
    When my hair was natural, I looked way younger, and people treated me that way (my natural color is a dark ash blonde...almost brown). I bleached it recently and I noticed I either was treated much nicer or wouldn't be talked to. When I would have black hair, people looked at me weird....they thought I was strange or something.
    I'm thinking about going brown again real soon....oddly enough, the sight of my blonde hair right now triggers my morning sickness......REALLY weird....and brown is the only color that makes me feel at ease. Even other blonde girls are making me sick (no offence to anyone wjo is blonde, this is entirely invoulentary)...it's mainly the bleach blonde color, but yeah.....BLECH!!!!

As for how I treat other blondes....I try not to be judgemental....but it's mainly those girls that are the paris hilton type I aviod. But then, I don't think that has anything to do with hair color as much as it does their attitude.
    Most women in general are just mean...I try to aviod them....most of my friends are older women or men...or very manily women.

7. indian~summer

indian~summer yo ho & a bottle of yum

i've had my hair lots of different colours...i had the funnest with pink hair...and red hair suited me best in regards to getting dates :D
    this blonde that i have right now i really dislike so even when people compliment me on it i kinda ignore it...
    basically i'm oblivious to how people act around me...unless it's like right in my face i don't really notice or care...

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

my hair has always been it's natural color and I get avoided, unless I make the first move.
    But if a woman is with her mate, I see her step clser to me to move "her" male away.

I think i'm a bit frumpy, no dressing up THAT much to go out. I am a touch frummie (modest in dress). AND I'm wearing a wedding ring. oh, yeah, some guy is going to go for the almost 40 married chick over Available (barely post) Adolescent Audrey! (rolls eyes)

9. allegedly

allegedly Member

I've always had dark brown hair and I've always gotten looks from other girls, so I don't think being blonde is always the case.

People who feel threatened by blondes are ridiculous ffs.. you are not your hair.

10. DeathRowDisco

DeathRowDisco Member

I have dark brown hair... it's really curly and does whatever it wants, so I ALWAYS get funny looks, hmmm...

But no, really. My hair is usually the last thing to really draw attention.
    People assume that we'll be bad parents because we're heavily pierced/tattooed.
    Some people ask if we're going to take out our piercings when we have kids. Right. Some people ask if we take them out when we're around our parents/other family, or actually have the nerve to ask if any of our family has DISOWNED us because of it... right.
    Some people EVEN assume, because he's big and rottie-coloured, that we're going to get rid of our dog when we have kids. Or just assume that he's vicious when we're out for walks, etc.
    I certainly can't see us being bad parents just because we have piercings/tattoos. And I can't imagine setting that kind of example for my kids, taking my piercings out just because everybody else thinks I should. My family and my husband's family loves us, piercings or not (I'm my grandparents' favourite grandkid, but 'shh, don't tell the others'). And last I checked, my dog's absolute favourite playmates are little kids and little dogs, he's never bitten anyone, and he's well aware of his size and he's fairly careful about it.
    People are just plain silly, especially about looks.

11. Crystalsatreehugger

Crystalsatreehugger Member

personally I always found red hair to be the most beautiful hair color. So this blond brunete war is silly to me. I'm a strawberry blond and proud of it. The blond sterotype always annoyed me so much. It's just cuz they get soo much attention and alot of times I don't get it. Who cares if your hair is blond or whatever

12. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i come from the land of ten billion blondes: southern california. i was the only non-blonde in a 3 block radius. i've never particularly noticed blonde hair except that for the most part i don't really see them at all. i've been conditioned to NOT notice over a vast majority of my life. even all my family members were blonde, expect for me. i find most blondes bland and unattractive. that isn't to say that there aren't some that grow in exceptional looks trough some other feature. just that blonde hair is not my thing.

13. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

reread Bonfire of the Vanities last week. Wolfe calls the young blond trophy partners "lemon tarts."
    Took a second for me to get it, but I laughed so loud the neighbors' dog started barking.

14. mynameiskc

oh! i DID get incredibly annoyed with my sister in law every time she'd dye her very very dark brown hair blonde, simply because she looked so glorious and sultry with her natural hair color. i've got nothing against coloring hair, it's my thing. but her going blonde was like, just plain wrong. but her mother looks better blonde, as does my baby sis. neither one of them look good brunette.

15. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

I don't have a problem with blondes, but I do have a problem with super-materialistic, prissy, trendy, narcissistic young females....and a LOT of them happen to BE blonde. So with this I suppose does come a bit of prejudice, for when I see a bleached blonde, I may suspect her to meet such criteria.

I don't understand why SO many women lighten their hair when most of the time their natural dark color is so much more flattering. I have always envied those born with rich, brown (or black) hair with dark brows and lashes, and I can’t fathom why they’d want to change it. They seem to be buying into the hype of being blonde “just to be blonde” without questioning whether or not it even looks good. To be honest, I feel like a lot of the “lure” surrounding being blonde is a result of marketing by salons—keeping a natural brunette looking blonde can require a lot of upkeep and pricey salon visits.
    OK, end of rant.

16. shaina

shaina No War Know Peace

i have dark brown hair and girls still don't like me so i dont think it has to do with hair color really. i think natural blondes are beautiful and don't have a problem with them at all. now fake platinum blonde hair is a different story

17. mynameiskc

a fake platinum is good with the right attitude & style.

18. Ber-Limey

Ber-Limey Member

Thanks for participating in ma thread gals. Nice to know I'm not alone.

19. bansidhe

bansidhe Member

Never noticed any difference, I am a natural dirty blond, but like it really light, the most response I have had was when it was red, and boy the women were mean about that, I used to get really dirty looks for that one, the most negative thing about being a bleach blond is that men automatically assume you are either a slut or incredibly unintelligent!

20. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

Maybe you just looked better with blonde hair. I've had hair every color of the dye family and never noticed a difference in how people treat me.

Annnd...you seem to have sort of an attitude about this whole situation (not being negative...just saying maybe subconsciously you're giving off vibes.), so maybe THAT has more to do with how you're treated than your hair color.