The Bee Movie...it destroyed braincells

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by verseau_miracle, Jan 3, 2008.

1. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Just needed to rant about The Bee Movie, aimed at kids and families...which claimed to have a sound moral message to bring along with the fun animation

I thought it was trash

Any children viewing the Bee Movie will surely have a very messed up vision of what a bee is or does.

Basic plot outline: (oh yeah, SPOILER for anyone excited to see this themseves)
    Bee decides he doesnt like working all the time and goes outside the hive. Starts talking to humans and discovers theyve been stealing their honey to sell in supermarkets. Bee manages to sue humans and they stop taking their honey. Victory and celebration. The result then, according to the Bee Movie, is complete devastation. Flowers dying, lazy and dying bees...as they now have "too much honey"...:rolleyes: Humans start taking honey again, all is well, flowers bloom, bee accepts that hes bottom of the pile and everyones smiley. Much talk of Gods "natural order". Jokes also made about dairy cows. Oh please. You can clearly see why this one vexed me

Now i realise its just a bit of fun...and the animation, in parts, was cute. But i still think we should be careful what ideas we feed into children and the fact is the whole film had no relevance to reality whatsoever. Their facts about bee society were wrong. Clearly no research at all had been done before making this film. Using the image of a diary cow in the context they did was pure tasteless

And now ive run out of words, so there be my rant. Basically, i wouldnt recommend it:) But then im guessing not many of you are wanting to see it anyway!:D I always see the kiddy films

Hmm, thats all
    :leaving:

2. IlUvMuSIc

IlUvMuSIc Senior Member

Hmmmm doesnt sound so great....

3. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

hmm on one side I think you are treating it with a radical bias
    and on the other I think it's fucked up to teach kids misinformation as such
    and yet another is saying it's just a movie (whoever said I'm two dimensional was dead wrong ;))

so I guess I should see the movie before forming my own opinion :)

4. Moon_Beam

Moon_Beam zaboravljas

I liked the film.

5. ESRUOS ENO

ESRUOS ENO Senior Member

Yet theres no mention in the movie how cellular communication devices that emit microwaves are whats screwing up the Honey Bee population.......

6. RollingCake

RollingCake Members

Tbh they truly didn't do the researching on it. So, Ken is a secondary antagonist, sure he dislikes honey (most of the crap in the stores are fake tbh) but we can live without honey, but really what makes me feel wrong about some things is that they treat bee allergies are willy nilly like it's not a big deal. Depending how serious Ken's bee allergy is, I can totally see why he wouldn't want him in the room with the bee, since bee allergies can be fatal if the symptoms become life-threatening and I don't see an Epipen on Ken and we don't know if there is one in the house or not.

The research part comes with the bees. The bees in the movie are the Western HoneyBee (of the Apis genus) which the movie bands as "vital and needed as important pollinators or else everything will wilt". That whole sentence is a lie essentially. See, Western HoneyBees aren't native to North America (where the movie takes place yes?) they were brought over to America by the European settlers, and are an Invasive Species. As you know most of the time invasive species usually are bad for the environment. There are researchers that state the environment would be far off better without HoneyBees. Who would pollinate the plants then? Other insects that are actually native. There are butterflies, ants, wasps and beetle species that are pollinators and can get the job done. Bumblebees can pollinate as well. There are at least 20,000 bee species that exist.

You can apply that HoneyBees are cattle since we only needed them for their honey, not their ability to pollinate. And do we need honey? No. Yes, honey is delicious, but most in the stores are fake. DWV (deformed wing virus) tends to be higher in HoneyBees, and shared flowers cause that to be spread to other bees, they crowd out important species as well. North America wasn't a barren wasteland before the Western Honey Bees arrived, it was thriving yet in the movie the environment starts wilting when the bees stopped pollinating in the movie. This is what SHOULD have happened: everything in the environment remained the same, because honey is banned in consumption, humans no longer are raising honeybees for their honey, thus they lose their biggest survival advantage as beekeepers stop raising bees, and based on current world activities they should either die out as a species/or at least their numbers diminish or nothing changes, and maybe a spike in native insect populations is seen.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Ah well, it was cute still. :)

8. morrow

morrow Visitor

Can this not be moved to random thoughts? Haven't a clue what it's got to do with the UK.. :D

9. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

back in the olden days, UK was basically random thoughts for people who lived in the UK. similarly, the stoners lounge was random thoughts for stoners, and young hippies was random thoughts for idiots.

if i were a mod and was going to move this thread, i would probably put it into movies at this point.

morrow likes this.