The Art of Tea

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by ethereal, May 27, 2007.

1. ethereal

ethereal Member

Here is a little tribute I wrote about one of my most favourite pastimes, the art of drinking tea.
    Hope you enjoy!

My favourite tea is Dilmah’s cinnamon spice. If you have not had the pleasure of tasting it, I would describe it to you as an ordinary black tea with just a hint of chai. It’s perfect – I get my small caffeine buzz (just the way I like it) as well as a sensual experience of smell, taste and aura. After all, the purpose of life is to indulge the senses, wouldn’t you say?
    What would life be without beautiful music to caress your ears, delectable food to savour, delightfully natural scents to permeate your surroundings, a visual feast of images to ease your eye’s hunger, and, most of all, a smooth body next to you in the morning for your fingers to discover?
    Many people say the preparation and the drinking of tea is an artform. I would have to agree. To me, art equals the indulgence of the senses. What could be more sensually indulgent than tea?
    Here, try it for yourself.
    First, you listen for the water to boil, and the unmistakable whistle of the kettle. You pour the steaming water into your teapot, add the tea leaves, and watch the water change from crystal clear to a deep amber, the colour of a river. As you wait for the flavours to infuse, the scent of spice drifts towards your face, and you breathe it in. Aaahhh. At this stage, your tastebuds tingle with excitement, eager to get in on the action. Gently, you tip the tea into your teacup, finding it impossible to resist wrapping your fingers around it, its warm touch soothing your whole body through your hands. You bring it to your lips, and, ever so carefully, so as not to scald your tongue, taste the steaming aromatic liquid. Finally. This is it. With just one sip, one two three four five senses indulged and fulfilled. Welcome to heaven.

2. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

That is excellent. I used to collect books with information like this and not just information about how to prepare stuff but how the author felt about it.
    I really like little paragraphs like that is such an excellently homely glimpse into what people are really like.

3. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

Welcome to the Writers Forum, Ethereal. Very nice sample of your writing. I hope to see more of it in the future. I like the happy tone, something which is a bit lacking in here of late. We need as much variety of writers in here as possible if we are all to progress and evolve. Recommendation: If you can get hold of Dan Rhodes's "Gold" I think you will enjoy the characters, and the author will suit your style.

4. ethereal

ethereal Member

thanks everyone!
    Hahaha nacht, i dont think my tea-drinking sessions are that well-planned... any time is tea time i say!