the absolute beginner-got a guitar for my birthday thread

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by drumminmama, Nov 22, 2005.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Actually, I 'm doing this for Arlo.
    I put a yamaha 6-string on layaway and he is a RANK beginner. What are the cool online places REALLY worth visiting for guitar info?
    I love www.madolincafe.com
    Does something along those lines exist for guitar players, or wannabes?

tjr1964 and Bayer Sanyo like this.
  2. brandonveg

brandonveg Member

cyberfret.com is cool if you are trying to teach yourself stuff...i havent been there in a couple of years so i dont know what it is liek now......as far as merchandise goes i like zzounds.com for all of my needs....

Bayer Sanyo likes this.
  3. drumminmama

mil gracias

Bayer Sanyo likes this.
  4. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

www.guitartabs.cc is where i learned most when i was starting.

youll (hell) stay interested much more if you (he) learns songs he likes compared to getting lessons and learning the "proper" techniques.

Bayer Sanyo likes this.
  5. ripple

ripple Member

Bayer Sanyo likes this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

agreed, plus its probally the best tab site on the net

Bayer Sanyo likes this.
  7. Radicalicious

Radicalicious Member

8. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

9. high_down_under

high_down_under Member

ultimateguitar, definatly
    except i got banned from there forums:(

10. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

Don't know any good websites, but have you considered lessons? I really loved taking guitar lessons. Finding a good instructer is a big hard, but if you talk to someone at any local music store, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

My guitar lessons were once a week, a half hour, $15, and he'd let me bring in any song I wanted to learn and he'd figure it out (really fast, it was pretty impressive to watch) and teach it to me. He taught me all different genres. He taught me how to improvise with another musician. And, you know, all the necassary theory crap. It was really helpful. Lots of people can teach theirselves, but most can't (and most who can still end up with a very narrow understanding of the instrument), and it's really helpful to have an instructer who can suit your personality and the way you learn.

11. drumminmama

Jesi, the person I want my son to learn from is near his dad's place, so I though I'd get him some very basic info before getting him hooked up with a local teacher. the custody will change this summer (so he can get into a great Science school) and I will become summer parent, so I need to find a local teacher who is cool with that. I've got a couple lines out on that too.I'm positive Arlo won't be the ONLY person getting a guitar in the next couple months...so I thought pulling all the Net references would be cool.

And theory is NOT crap. That's why I want Arlo learning from Travis Linville: young, energetic, laid back, knows guitar and theory inside and out.
    That and we live too far from Fareed for lessons ;)

12. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

I know, I know. It's really important and is a lot of work and quite difficult. And the type of thinking it requires I have found to be oddly helpful in math class. I was mostly just being a smartass. [​IMG]

13. drumminmama

ahh you discovered the math pattern connection.
    Read Godel Escher Bach for a longer discussion of the phenomenon.....

14. winter skye dream

winter skye dream Member

hey man i remember when i first started playin and i found a tab thought it was right and then a few months of playing i noticed that they wernt so i went thou a shit load of shit tabs and i finaly found a place that i like that dsnt have as much as everyother place......its www.powertabs.net......you have to dl software (its free) and its amazing.......and if u ever start making your own songs u can tab it w/ the software.........its nt the best music software out there but its also free so....

15. drumminmama

that's why I'm hoping he'll really LEARN, not get by on tabs.

16. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

thats cool, i used to post on mandolin cafe a bunch.
    you should really try, therhombus.com its a bunch of phish kids, but they are mostly very knowledgeable musicians, who are kind, know a ton of theory, and are good at explaining things, plus they are always willing to help. try it mamma.

17. scents&subtlesou

scents&subtlesou Member

you say "ahh" as if this is not extremely obvious.

18. teh-horace

teh-horace for your pleasure

19. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

On the old forums, somebody came by advertising their site...Guitar Knowledge Net. Just Google the name and it'll come up :)

It has listings for scales, chords, a progression builder, all sorts of stuff. It doesn't actually have any TAB to learn, but it's definitely useful for a beginner who sees a chord name and thinks "Huh?" :)

20. teh-horace

teh-horace for your pleasure