The 70's: Best Decade For TV

Discussion in 'Classic TV' started by Motion, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Motion

Motion Senior Member

The 70's is my favorite decade for Tv shows. The difference I've noticed is how "real" they were compared to 50's and 60's shows. Shows from the 50's and 60's were good but they seem to be more idealistic. The 70's marks the period when Tv shows became more realistic. Look at 70's shows like Good Times,All In The Family,Mary Tyler Moore,One Day At A Time for examples and see if any 50's or 60's shows can compare to their realism.

2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

You're probably right with such favorites as:

Sanford & Sons
    The Jefferson’s
    Baretta
    Six Million Dollar Man
    Kung Fu
    Kojak
    Charlie’s Angels
    SWAT
    Fantasy Island

But being a big Sci-fi fan the 90s rule

X-Files
    Star Trek: TNG
    Star Trek: DSN
    Babylon-5
    Buffy the vampire slayer
    Stargate SG-1
    Roswell
    Charmed
    The Pretender

Hotwater

3. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

In a warbly whiney female voice,

"Can't you see that, Mr. Grant? The 70s had the best TV shows. Don't you understand, Mr. Grant?!?

:)

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Ok, overall the 70s had the best shows :( but I'm sorry, the original Battlestar Galactica and Space 1999 just doesn't do anything for me [​IMG]

Hotwater

5. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Space 1999 seemed boring. It came about 10 years after Star Trek, yet they couldn't seem to manage to do special effects as good as Star Trek even with much better technology at their disposal.

6. waukegan

waukegan Member

you're right.although i don't know if the shows were better really.in some ways yes.there was a trend toward realism.although there was shows of great variety continuing to be made.did you notice this in movies also.one genre was the westerns.i liked alot of the westerns in the 70's.a certain grittiness to them.although i like movies that have a glorified look to them also.room for both kinds.

7. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

The 1970s were definitely a great decade for American television.But the 1950s and 60s were equally as great.The list of great shows from this period is endless.As far as realism goes shows like the 1960s version of "Dragnet' were real and entertaining and there were a few more.But yes the 70s added more realism on top of great entertainment.The 1950s-70s were the Golden Age of television,3 networks putting out the best tv shows the world has ever seen.In the 1980s tv slowly started to decline.NOW it is such rubbish,I don't even watch the junk they make now.----A sidenote:they used to regulate the amount of commercials allowed to be shown,so they actually had about 1/3 of the 'amount' of adverts they do now.

8. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

The 70s were also THE LAST TRUE PURE DECADE!!!!!!!

At the end of the 70s this digital trash came in and started ruining things,etc.....

The other day I say a fleetwood mac DOUBLE ALBUM from 1979 that they digitally compromised...... I COULDNT BELIEVE IT - 1979!! (I was gonna get that album also BUT WHEN I SAW THAT I SAID NO WAY!! (I dont buy ANALOG RECORDS to hear crap i can hear on the radio,etc))

9. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Sid Caesar, Milton Berle, Jack Benny, Twilight Zone, Burns & Allen,etc----from the 50s were good. Others too that I don't remember. (how do I know if I don't remember? None a'your beeswax.) ooooo---remembered Groucho Marx too, with the little duck that dropped down upon a contestant saying a secret word. " What do you do mr -----? I'm in congress. Oh. How long have you been incongruous?