The 60's!

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by Two Spirits Dancing, Jan 1, 2005.

1. I would much rather live back in the 60's than the 70's. I mean, the Beatles were together and it was definately times of change. I would have loved to be a mod rocker/hippy type gal. So, since I obviously wasn't able to live back then...... anybody care to share their experiences?? What was it like then? What did you think about the Beatles when they first came to America? Were you apart of the Beatlemania? How was it like? I have so many other wonders...What were the new inventions? What was the fashion like? How were the 60's different from today? What was the schools like? Ohh.. and so much more that I'd like to know...

Tiff Lennon

2. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

yeah cmon id like 2 know too! i only know so much about it..i mean from like what ive read and heard from my dad! he was like a surfer dude tho but he had some hippie friends haha!

3. Little flower

Little flower Member

SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wanna live in da 60s 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Donna

Donna ***BABUSKA***

who doesn't? :)

5. Little flower

Little flower Member

6. same here, the 60's seem way awesome, thier way of life to ours now.. to go thru the whole beatle-mania, see jimi hendrix, go to a marley concert.. the whos.. janis.. expirementing alot.. i definalty would have been one of those free-spirited chicks you could never find cause i would always be on the road, going to every concert possible

7. Little flower

Little flower Member

i wanna go 2 woodstock!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Well, isn't someone going to come and explain to me???????????? LOL

Tiff Lennon

9. Donna

Donna ***BABUSKA***

me 2!!!!

10. Little flower

Little flower Member

11. Little flower

Little flower Member

12. phoenix88

phoenix88 Member

this has been asked many times, i'm sure people are getting tired of telling their stories. search for answers to your questions using the search tool please.

13. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator Super Moderator

I remember when I first got to Haight Street in 66', I was 16. My first immpression when I stepped off the bus across the street for the infamuse Droug Store Cafe.
    The street was lined with muliclad hippies. There were people standing in the street and sitting on the sidewalks. As I passed through the crowds I could smell pot in the air. I ducked into a dooway and set on there in the stair well and watched in wonderment. The was music playing everywhere, out of windows out of cars out of the sky it's self. My stair well filled with people and bottles in brown bags were being passed and doob's were being passed, people were dropping acid and snorting PCP. The wine flowed and the music got louder and the crowd larger. It was a mass of brightly clothed hippies from Ashbury to Stayon all the way in to Golden Gate Park, where the park was filled with more hippies and musicians playing, singing and dancing about half naked on Hippie Hill. Every body called each other brother/sister and smiles were plastered on everyones faces. There were piles of food and drink and all different kinds of drugs being used and shared freely. I wasn't afraid or alone. It was like a dream with me in the middle of it. I stayed in the Haight many years and saw the changes that it went through. I lived in a commune where everybody shared everything and lived happily together and became a family. I went to the concerts at the Filmore West and The Avalon Ball Room and saw all the greatest bands play, Eric Clampton, jefferson airplane, Steve miller band, The Doors Van Morrison, CCR, Grateful Dead, Big Brother, they all came through the Haight at one time or another. The Airplane had a sound studio in the neighborhood. We had the free clinic where you could go get free shots for the clap..lol.. and the oracal and kaliflower newspapesr, the Fish n Chip place where you'd get a ton of fish and fries wrapped in newspaper for a dollar. There was a poster shop and a headshop where everyone hung out. The chinaman's store where we bought beer and wine with food stamps. The Hungarian resturant where we'd eat priroskis and borst. There was Love Bugers where the biker hung out and The Straight Theater when The Dead played. The donut shop where Debbie Donut worked.
    So many many memories. The best memories are on Hippie Hill and the wonderful music that was created there and later became, what moved so many and the LOVE LOVE LOVE that brought everyone there.. Blessed Be.

14. Speak for yourself.

15. shameless_heifer, thank you for sharing that groovy story with us :)

Tiff Lennon

16. Goddess Om

Goddess Om Member

I was only 16. I had a poster of the Beatles on the wall by my bed and I kissed each of them goodnight every night. I listened to the transistor radio and we watched the Ed Sullivan Show on a little black and white TV.
    I caught the train to the city and some long haired friends took me to this place where people were gathering to go on a peace march. All around the room were posters of Che Guevara. An older guy tried to chat me up.
    After the march we went to this groovy place called The Cellar where everyone was laying around on the floor on blankets and matresses smoking dope and having a bit of free love while the music played, and outside people were talking about politics. The smell of incense and weed hung in the air. The Hare Krishna's and the Orange People (Rajneeshis) were all over the place in the city. We all wore jeans and had long hair. We often went barefoot. I'd go home and try to tell my step father why we shouldn't be fighting the war in Vietnam, but he was too brainwashed and believed everything the government told him. I listened to Bob Dylan, Peter, Paul and Mary, The Mommas and the Poppas, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Joni Mitchell, The Beatles, The Stones, The Doors, The Lovin Spoonful. School was boring and we had to wear uniforms, hats and gloves! (I went to a posh school). I remember playing the record "InaGadadavida" really loud, and all the songs from Hair ..."Manchester England, England, Across the Atlantic Sea, and I'm a genius, genius"...and of course "Masturbation can be fun".
    We just used to hang out in the streets together, and in parks, and at train stations, and talk and smoke. I lost my virginity at 16 with a guy who's hair was longer than mine. Everyone loved the Beatles, but my older sisters were loyal to Elvis and the older style of rock and roll. My parents had really old records, like Mantovani and Shirley Bassey and Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass ...all this instrumental stuff.
    This was in Sydney, Australia, in the 60's. I got to see the Beatles standing on the veranda of the Sheraton Hotel, in Kings Cross, and George waved at me. My mother let me stay home from school that day. I went to the movies and saw Clockwork Orange (hated it!) and went to see Funny Girl (loved it).
    People used to buy Jaffas, these lollies that were chocolate inside and orange-coated on the outside, and teenagers used to roll them down the centre aisle in the movies as a bit of mischief.
    We NEVER saw a security guard anywhere, not like today. Cops were a worry, as they were mostly corrupt and big, tough guys. We made out in the back seats of cars, especially at the drive-in movies. If the cops caught you parking and making out they'd shine their torches in at you and tell you go home. I remember watching Laugh-In on TV. I remember seeing Alfie, with Michael Caine, and the song was really popular "What's it all about, Alfie". Also the Fifth Dimension singing "The Age of Aquarius" stands out in my mind.
    All the girls wanted to be Air Hostesses (that was the big thing...the unreachable dream!).
    We had no computers. We used typewriters that in those days were huge clunky things (manual). We had no video games etc. Families used to sing together around the piano, or play card games, or watch TV or listen to radio shows...they'd sit around a big radio the way people sit around TV's today.
    I remember hearing the news on the radio that John F Kennedy was shot, and I cried, and we all walked around in a daze, not believing it.
    Anyway...just a few of the memories I have to share...love and peace!

17. mladen_22

mladen_22 Member

I hope some kind of "time machine" will be invented soon :)

18. MBintheOC

MBintheOC We're all mad here..

19. SweetLorraine

SweetLorraine Member

I really enjoyed reading your memories from the 60's Goddess Om:) You should write a book,you have a real flare for it!!!

I was born in 1964 so dont recall very much but i certainly have a love for the 60s' and:cool: all it stood for,and the 70's,woohooooooooooo!!

20. Goddess Om

Goddess Om Member

Thanks sweetie! I still remember the vibe so vividly. As if in my thoughts all the years in between mean nothing. Life was much simpler. There was much less violence and crime. We had so much more freedom because of that. People trusted eachother more. I feel really lucky to have been a part of that time, and also THIS time. You know, its all in the attitude, so don't let anyone take away your freedom to be who you are. Think like an individual and be brave, then all obstacles will fall away.