The 3 classical theistic false claims

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Cherea, May 13, 2013.

1. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

#1 --- appeal to consequences (if there were no god, life would be meaningless; if there were no god, we'd rape and hack each other with manchetes)

#2 --- circular logic (god has a plan, but works in mysterious ways; god is good, but tests your faith; etc.)

#3 --- backward logic (my indicator fits perfectly into my nostrils, therefore there is a god; things exist, therefore there must have been a creator; etc.)

Any more?

2. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

On second thought, I might want to add the I-am-spiritual-not-religious god: god has not traits, does nothing, demands nothing, etc.

But it must exist.

3. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm transitioning from a Gnostic Militant Atheist to an Eclectic Agnostic Yogi....
    I don't believe in some sentient, patriarchal, Old Testament god watching us from a cloud ready to punish our sins.
    I think if there is an onipitent sentient superior power, it has far better things to do than worry about who we marry.
    Do I believe in a higher power? If you mean like nature, space, evolution, love, etc. sure.

1) this claim is funny, and scary. I often ask people, "you need the fear of a vengeful god to be a good person?" "I'm good just because it's the right thing to do." It's like people really truly believe we are barbarians without a conservative patriarchal deity to scare the crap out of us.
    2) outright BS.
    3) These are the saddest kind; the ones who never questioned god.

4. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

I guess we could call them presuppositionalists; wherever there is causation or pattern, presuppose god/intelligent design.

Edit: I should start a thread on things such as 'nature'; which, to me, is attributing unity where there is none. A cloaked theism. Stay tuned for more goodies!

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Appeal to authority: Believe based upon their parents beliefs and/or simply due to tradition.

6. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

Ah! That's pretty good! ;)

7. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

A perfect example. This dude went full religitard. NEVER go full religitard:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4yBvvGi_2A"]Atheist Nightmare - YouTube

8. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

lol! And then they say sucking a cock will earn you a trip to hell.

9. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

10. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_PZ6xtdfgc"]Family Guy defines religion - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n16PpvdpMXo"]Christianity in a nutshell - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p5jnqEyUs4"]Family Guy: If Christianity Never Existed - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPAlyl9cu8I"]Creating the Asian family guy - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkPgYbdQ1kQ"]Family Guy - Dinner with Jesus - YouTube

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Empiriscism, the idea that nothing is innate, all knowledge is learned.

If you had grown up with absolutely no human contact and of knowledge of other humans. When grown up what would be your sense of self, what language would you create, what or who would you worship?

In an arid climate, sun god bad, moon god or water/sea god good. In a colder climate sun god good moon god bad. As soon as there were too many of us it was, forget about the sun, do unto others and god looked like us

12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

13. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

HA! What makes it even more hilarious is Kirk Cameron sitting next to him smiling like the idiot that he is.
    lol Yeah, the comments are always hilarious on videos like that. I'm not sure if the atheist comments or the religitard comments are more hilarious. Regardless, I love trolling christians on youtube. They make it so easy.

14. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

lol!!

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

remove all distractions and illusions, and you will realize two things;
    first that there are things you don't know
    second, that what you don't know, is not bound by what you thought you knew about it.

(this is equally true, no matter what or how much, you believe or don't believe)

16. tubahead

tubahead Member

17. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

18. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

It's written in THE BOOK so it MUST be true.

And god's own word on top of that.

19. tubahead

tubahead Member

20. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

Oh yeah! Big one. I don't know what to call it, but it departs from a self-validating premise.