Thailand

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by HuckFinn, Feb 15, 2005.

1. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

I've heard that the Thai tourist industry is desperate for business after the tsunami, but my brief web search hasn't yielded any spectacular bargains that weren't available a year ago. Does anyone here know if/where any great deals can be found?

I'm not eager to exploit a tragedy, but my wife and I have wanted to see Asia for a while now, and I hear that their economy is hurting badly due to lack of tourists.

2. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

See only a small part of it was affected, Islands the other side of the Mayalsian Peninsular such a Ko Samui (sp?) and loads of other places are still thriving.

Only the left hand side of the bottom bit where Phuket is was affected.
    [​IMG]

Try checking out Cambodia, it's meant to be far cheaper than Thailand and less commercial.

3. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Yes, but I've heard that the entire country is now suffering economically from a huge drop in tourism.

4. iluvmorocco

iluvmorocco Member

I hope Thailand gets back on its feet tourism-wise. It's a beautiful place just like Morocco.

Casablanca Trip

5. drgoon

drgoon Member

Just returned from 3 weeks there. ! week in Bangkok - pretty much everything you have heard about Thailand is in BKK. Travelled on the overnight train to Chiang Mai, took about 14 hours but was great fun with other travellers. Chiang Mai is more laid back than BKK. The Wualai Rd night market on Saturdays is better than the market in town. The snake show on the road to Maesa Elephant/Doi Sutep camp has a guy who does a hilarious commentary.
    Further north To Chiang Rai & Chang kong is more rural and lovelly countryside.
    As for bargains, the Empress Hotel in Chiang Mai has a special on as they are renovating. Down from 2500 baht per night to 1700 baht.

In BKK the New Siam 2 guest house is excellent value at about $30 NZ per night. Good central location and great staff.