Tent camping with a bad back

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by gypsy_queen79, Jun 3, 2012.

1. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

I have arthritis with lower back issues caused by a combo of a swayed back and lumbar damage from surgeries. A hot shower every morning usually works the kinks out. Some days, I practically crawl to the shower because of being so "stoved up."
    I'm allergic to AsperCream, menthol and mentholatum, so I haven't found a muscle rub that works.
    Usually, when we go camping, we choose a place with showers. I know, not exactly "roughing it."
    Now, my sons (ages 15 and 9) and I are going camping and there are ZERO showers for miles. Baby wipes are fine for the stink factor, but obviously wont do a thing for my back.
    HELP!
    Any ideas on what to do to get my back working in the morning?

I should also mention that the air mattress has also been used for years when we sleep in our tent at festivals. It helps some, but I can still barely move in the morning.
    I am toying with the idea of hot rocks. That would mean that one of my sons would actually have to have a fire going BEFORE I got up. The whole idea is to indoctrinate them to tent camping. I just don't want to be stuck in camp the whole time because I cant move.
    I don't want to ruin this for my sons because of my back issues.

2. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

when i threw out my back as a kid i took DOANS pain pills. trust me, they work like you wouldnt believe

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You can get foam/rubber roll outs to sleep on. I don't think they're too great but it'll be better than sleeping on the ground. But since you're in a tent you could invest in a raised platform/stretcher to sleep on.
    To to local camping shops and have a look around. Nowadays it's impractical to not to be comfortable when camping so you're sure to find something.
    I sleep in a swag myself so I use the foam supports. Like I said they don't do much but it's better than earth.
    You should also take muscle relaxers, a hot water bottle and probably some of those heat stickers you can stick on your back and they warm up.

4. Capt._Obvious

Capt._Obvious Member

I wonder how a hammock would work out for you (I realize it could be a risky experiment since it could make things worse).

5. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

Wish I HAD muscle relaxers! However, I will try to find a back patch that I was able to use years ago, if they still make it. Air mattress and two boys to help peel me off of it!

6. kenwilkes

kenwilkes Member

If available, try icing down the area before you get up. This will reduce swelling.

7. hoboberg

hoboberg Member

There's a wide variety of propane heated showers on the market. Paired with a Walmart shower tent. Might be what your looking for?

8. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Turns out I'm only getting to camp that one time this year.
    Too much goin and not enough time to take it slow.

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

wake up halfway through your sleep and take a few ibuprofen...maybe a slice of bread too so it doesnt hurt your stomach

then by the time you wake for the day it should be feeling better

10. reload

reload Guest

I sleep with a good size pillow under my knees at night. Also try drinking a lot of water, take some magnesium (its a vitamin) and stretch (touch your toes) all before bed. Works wonders for me :)

11. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

As my bed and I don't see eye to eye on comfort, I may employ some of this for at home too. (can't afford a new bed, the last one cost $1200) At least this bed isn't poking me with springs after 2 years, like the last one. It's not like we have abused the mattress either. Its just not as good as it should be. My folks got the same one in a king, so we went and got the queen size. They sleep much more than we do too, so you'd think theirs would be in worse shape.

12. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

maybe a back massauge before you tried to get up?

13. Censored

Censored Member

Alcohol numbs the pain, and makes camping great. Two birds one stone.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah that'll work wonders when her muscles cramp from dehydration.

15. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I have a real bad back too, there is no way I could sleep in a tent, advil or meds from the doctor might help, I'm lucky when it comes to camping my dad has a 5th wheel so he lets me take the queen size bed and he takes the couch. I have offerd to take the couch but he said it would be terrible on my back

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You have a couch and queen size bed when camping?
    Does not sound like camping. ... >.>

17. Censored

Censored Member

Add water and a powerade to replace the lost electrolytes.

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Haha! And green tea cures everything!

19. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

[​IMG]

20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

she brings the xbox too :mickey: