Tell us about yourself and your work history to date

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by odonII, May 2, 2013.

1. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

ive been self employed so long...all my other job managers/bosses are long gone retired etc,,

i would just put in my phone number and tell them to call and ask me whatever they want to know...or invite me in and ask in person

2. odonII

odonII O

Thank You :) :D

3. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hello,

with this qualities you are good son-in-law material, too ;).

Regards
    Gyro

4. odonII

odonII O

That would be so much easier!

5. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Well I guess everybody stretches the truth a bit on their CV... :rolleyes:

:D

6. odonII

odonII O

MARRIAGE?

:leaving:

7. odonII

odonII O

:frown:

:biggrin:

8. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hello,

:rofl:

Regards
    Gyro

9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Use self affirming statements about your prior work experience, but not in a arrogant manner.
    For example from my past working for a small computer retailer I made a bet with him that I could increase sales. I managed to make a few big sales and won the bet.
    Now when relaying this information on a application I word it thus;

"While working for Computer BlaBlaBla as the Asst. Sales Manager I introduced (self-affirming) and implemented a new sales approach. As a result we were able (change focus to group effort, team player) to see sales increases in excess of 200% in one quarter."

That shows that you are confident about your abilities, but not a conceded dick about it.

When talking about your personal life avoid any mention of religious or political affiliations, do mention any and all type of community service things you do as well as any hobbies/interests that may relate to the field you are considering.
    Be sure to maintain a formal, business like demeanor throughout. Some people switch to a more personal prose when talking about personal interests, that's a mistake.
    The person reading it is considering you as a potential employee, not a potential friend.

10. odonII

odonII O

Post 17:

I know I said...

...and In the thread header it said: '...and your work history to date'.

It isn't actually for a job, it's for a training course: http://www.jbctraining.co.uk/
    I quit work a few weeks ago.
    I just said that to Mr Migration as a joke :D

This seems like some good advice: '... A specific type of job, a challenge, an advancement.' (Thanks, Meliai)
    I can waffle on for England, It's just the first sentence or two, though : /

I don't have any.

I do tend to do that. I'll try not to. Thanks.

11. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Most applications ask for previous work experience and dates worked etc. but that information does not necessarily translate into skills that you have learned by doing the jobs that would help you on the job you are seeking.

Like if you have attention to detail or are reliable, if you are good with numbers or at reading the fine print, if you work well with others or prefer to be in a cubical etc. Focus on the position you are trying to get and figure out the skills you possess that would make you good at that job.

NoxiousGas gave you a good example.

12. odonII

odonII O

It's not for a job - it's for a training course.

(the main issue is about talking about myself - how to start off)

[​IMG]

See post 17 and my last post.

13. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

LOL ^ Odon!

And since smartassness really seems to be appreciated, I have to ask why in the world would you even need to pose this/these question(s)? You are a smart young man!

The only thing I can add to the (brilliant) replies of Melial, NoxiousGas and Specs is to have a ready reply if they ask WHY DID YOU QUIT WORK BEFORE GETTING ANOTHER JOB and/or being lined up for training. Potential employers really do ask that type of question. You could say it was to devote all your time to what you really want (this training or similar training) and that you have saved money in order to do this...or something like that.

14. odonII

odonII O

Thanks.

Ftr, I didn't make myself 100% clear, so can understand the confusion.
    I did try to clear it up - apparently unsuccessfully.

I'm not quite sure why the training course is asking me to tell them about myself, but that's what they are asking for.
    I have not had to write something similar - be it for a job application, or in this case, a place on a training course. I've only had a couple of 'proper' jobs in my life - and they didn't require this - so I am not sure how to start, and what to include.
    I think I can expand upon some general themes that have been (brilliantly) raised here, but I have no idea how to start talking about myself.
    I guess it could end explaining why I want to take part in the training course.
    I did look around for some tips - but it was all geared towards job applications.

I had to quit my job because they lost a lot of contracts and didn't have enough work for me.
    The training course is free for the unemployed.
    I wanted some time off work, and not jump back into a rut for another couple of years. Improve and apply myself to something I am interested in, and would like to pursue as a career.