teenage self-esteem

Discussion in 'Protest' started by heartonmysleeve, Sep 21, 2009.

1. heartonmysleeve

heartonmysleeve Member

I think teenage self-esteem should change honestly i could say about half no 95 percent of the magazines these day imply on making you be 102 pounds its wrong be the weight that makes you happy the more you think about changing yourself the more your getting farther from who you really are just be you just being yourself is a total attitude changer i know from experience love yourself its a wonderful feeling dont worry bout what everybody else thinks worry about what makes you happy and what you want.

sincerly with love c.c.

2. MaxPatlick

MaxPatlick Member

nice sentiment. I dunno about "the weight that makes you happy" though.. sounds like fat apologist to me. Simply be healthy. Eat a healthy diet, get a healthy amount of exercise. Your numerical weight should not be a factor in your happiness. Whether or not you're healthy is.

3. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

I think it's all about respect each other. I don't care how heavy you are, I do care if you victimize others to make yourself feel more important.

And for MaxPatrick the balance falls both ways if there can be fat apologist then there can be skinny promoters.

4. MaxPatlick

MaxPatlick Member

of course. Making yourself too skinny for the sake of aesthetics is just as wrong as allowing yourself to become obese because a diet of cheesecake and ice cream and twinkies is what makes you "happy"

also, patLick, not patRick :)

5. Neon Fruit

Neon Fruit Member

Teenage girls need to learn to not buy into anything the media says. The magazines, advertising agencies, and television networks all are trying to make as much money as possible, nothing more. Some of these teenagers now days totally are sold on these images and products which these companies are getting rich off of selling and promoting. They need to cut off your attention to these media outlets and get a good nutrition book written by someone with proper knowledge on human weight and diet.

6. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

It's not that hard.

[​IMG]

7. heywood floyd

heywood floyd Banned

I don't think it's the fact that kids are 'buying into' the media messages-- it's that the disgusting, inhuman AMOUNT of messages out there is wearing EVERYONE, but especially teenagers, down to the point where any decision is actually really hard.

It's not just that you have the media telling you that you have to look a certain way, it's that you have some media telling you that you have to look a certain way, and other media telling you that you DON'T... one website is telling you one thing, and another site is telling you something different-- and no one is allowed to come to their own conclusions about how they feel.

Some people will tell you to 'be yourself', and then later some other people will tell you 'fit in'... so you're getting opposing suggestions in your subconscious colliding. You can't stand up and sit down at the same time, so nothing happens. You become a passive, apathetic creature who tries to do the right thing but can't-- because both options are equal and neither of them are truly yours.

Nobody really even owns their own thoughts anymore, and it's totally fucking sick.

8. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

It's all about respect.

Fat uggos are gross and make me sad when I look at them - and this is disrespectful toward me, so the magazines are doing God's work. More power to 'em.

9. Hear Me Rawr

Hear Me Rawr Member

I think the media is a good guide for girls like me, who actually do agree with society's definitions of beauty and want to meet those standards. It's not bad on my self-esteem though. I still love myself. I just think I need work, physically. And I think that just wanting to be that beautiful alone is a good quality. Whether some people want to accept it or not, the idea of beauty in America today is part of our culture. Not everybody has to live up to it though. It's just that, this is what the majority wants and there's no harm in actually BEING that "beautiful." Unless you're starving and puking to get there. But not all of us are doing that. I think you should think about the people who actually read those magazines, look at these models, and feel the little celebrity in themselves smiling. But I also think something needs to be done to tell younger kids, majority does not rule. There is no one type of beauty. You need to figure out how you can feel good about yourself despite views from the outside. But the media isn't to blame.

10. marblegallery

marblegallery Member

says the media lover..

i honestly think the media is a terrible guide for anything