Teenage Drug Use

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by 0oScarletBegoniaso0, May 31, 2006.

1. 0oScarletBegoniaso0

0oScarletBegoniaso0 Member

I wrote this for my journalism class a while ago, it won a class award and the teachers seemed to really enjoy it...I'm kinda proud of it so give it a chance.

In adolescence; you never question the purity of life, everything is sunshine and butterflies. Then you become “enlightened” with age and that has a lot to do with the drug culture. Teenagers claim that they know what they’re doing to themselves, smoking joints and rolling blunts instead of writing essays or working on power points. Self-loathing, depression, anxiety are the close friends of delving into the drug culture.

Days that a student fills with pushing the limit further and further just so later they can describe how “stoned” they were; are really just ways to dumb themselves and stall them from future advances. I’m not trying to be a hypocrite and advocate that drugs are bad and everyone that uses them are bad. They’re just bad for me, and led me to make dumb choices that I’m paying for now. It took me two years to realize what I was doing to myself and now I have a message to convey for my adventures.

High school is the easiest part of your life, it may not seem like it, but it is. So, getting messed up all the time and saying you “don’t care” isn’t going to cut it. I wasted two of the easiest years of my life before figuring that out. That my lack of caring was going to drop me in some profession that was greatly below my potential. It exasperated me to think that all these well-groomed Barbie dullards are going to become nice things while I just slip into something that just barely gets me by.

It’s thoughts like these that eat at my motivation and frustrate me. These tight-knit cliques quibble back and forth over hottest hubbies and what not why I fume over bush’s latest vacation while his “comrades” lay starving on the home front. I’m sure in my head that high school is one of the easiest things in life but it’s also one of the most frustrating. It’s where being different is feared and being the same is encouraged. Where creative writings are given guidelines on how to write them and “artistic” projects, well aren’t really artistic at all.

Teachers may seem lame preaching you to do your best but many people hardly even do the bare minimum. It took me a long time to finally push myself to throw a little bit of effort into my schoolwork and since then it has made everything a lot easier. So to the underdog in their third year in English 9, or the kid failing Chemistry, This is going to be the easiest of your days so don’t throw them away.

2. AlfredNewman

AlfredNewman Member

Thats how you gotta live, under your means, just barely getting by isnt the correct term. Not getting by in todays society

you know who orrigonally did scarlet begonias right...

3. 0oScarletBegoniaso0

Grateful Dead, of coarse, my favorite version is the sublime one...

4. baloon

baloon Member

hmm.. well because high school is so easy, you don't need full potential, just enough to get you where you are going. be glad you don't have to sit over books all day long like a medicine student. on the other hand, as you say, it is not the time to drop out. you can always do that later, maybe when ou are 40, 60, or 80 perhaps???? always time for that

5. peaceloveandshrooms

peaceloveandshrooms Member

Someone once told me something like... its a huge mistake to believe that everyone else sees the world the same way you do. I think that drugs have a very bad steriotype associated with them and that that steriotype is extremely wrong. While I applaud your rendition of your experience, I caution you to not form generalized opinions about drugs.. they aren't all the same and they don't cause the same thing in all people. I really believe that drugs are an awesome tool to push the limits of reality and that they CAN be used responsibly and usefully to gain knowledge about the human experience.

6. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

I have smoked pot since the fourth grade... I am now graduated from highschool, THREE YEARS EARILER than "planned". I now have 3 years to figure out who the fuck I am before I go to college... and I'll smoke pot, and drop LSD, eat up some boomers to do that. Don't preach. I guantee that I'm learning more doing this than what the damn government wants me to learn from their stupid books.

7. steffan

steffan puffin

That was well done, you allowed the reader to draw his own conclutions, and maybe make a kid or two consider there reasons for using drugs. it was a well deserved award

8. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

i'm sooooooooo highhhhhh

9. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

although your a good writer, this essay is very stereotypical, of drug users, teens, cliques, and high school.
    anyway, maybe all your realizations and conforming are clouding your judgment more than your two years of smoking.

10. stalk

stalk Banned

high school drove me insane,
    i dropped out
    and now i play guitar
    by the river,
    waking up on my own
    Time.

11. electric_poet

electric_poet Member

sweet same here i droped out because education is just a trip its like 20 years of scholling so they can put you on the day shift retire u when your a hundred and give u your pension when your dead / exactly a bit to late / i now play guitar allow my mind to wander through thw wilderness have a smoke now and then and write poetry im working hard at my music i joined a few folk clubs and im also playing gigs and making a bit of money

12. 0oScarletBegoniaso0

One of my favorite pass times is smoking a bowl, going off into the woods far far away from everything and write. Just kinda fun that you do it to. ^.^

13. electric_poet

electric_poet Member

farout im not the only one then thought i was alone on that one for a while but its great to be who you want to be thats why i do that i hate been governed by what people are telling me to do u only live once in my openinon u should just get high write music in the wilderness and set your self free the greatist gift we all have is our minds so use them drugs arent badd they just reveal the real you to yourself

14. OnlyIdiotsLoveWar29

OnlyIdiotsLoveWar29 Member

I'm a little late but I love your paper.

Then again i've actually SEEN what drugs do to you later in your life.

15. L.A.Matthews

L.A.Matthews Senior Member

You'll regret it...You can't even use punctuation and grammer, for God's sake.

16. L.A.Matthews

L.A.Matthews Senior Member

Nice writing, although I find it stereotypical. It seems like it was a good story for the teachers to use as an anti-drugs motto. Never the less, you have good writing abilities.

Well done.

17. 06thenewsummeroflove

06thenewsummeroflove Member

i would like to say that i think you are a talented writer but really it sounds like you took your ex weed smoking adolescent angst and added a few "emo" feeling and now your gonna sell this to me as deep. I'm sorry but i cant buy that. depression from interest in drug culture I was depressed for about 2 years it just so happens that i wasnt smoking then mi wasnt doing E and LSD wasnt involved just high school bull shit and spurts of Binge drinking which is a much bigger problem, write on that shit.

18. shockseventyfour

shockseventyfour Member

It seems like though high school might be easier, college would be better because you can study what interests you. And not everyone who uses drugs is stupid really. You can't just say DRUGS ARE BAD and this wasn't too bad but I wouldn't buy it. But D.A.R.E. might. No offense meant, I do think your a good writer.

19. shockseventyfour

shockseventyfour Member

I do agree however, that drugs can be distracting and the reason I quit recreational drugs is because I want to LEARN not just in sschool but in other ways (I read a lot and like to go places and such) because if anything, tripping gave me a great desire to explore the world around me. And I havent used drugs in like, a year.

20. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

i quit weed 2 and a half weeks ago with no psycological withdrawal symptoms. i started smoking when i was 12/13. i'm 19 this september. i have a lot to catch up on.