Teen hippies?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Mitok, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Vongaelly

Vongaelly Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well I dunno really.. I have always sorta just felt that way. Then I discovered the music haha and went great from there lol

2. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

No offense to those who like old music, but young hippies are still making hip music in the here and now. The ideas of 50 years ago still inspire us, but it didn't stop there. Great people are still saying and doing great things.
    I will be the first to admit that the numbers of people in the movement are not what they should be. We can't "fix" the knuckleheads, but I think there are a lot more people trapped in gray suburban conformity who do want a way out. Show some love and help those who want it!

3. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Who cares?

FUCK LABELS!

4. Rivehn

Rivehn Member

Tame impala and temples are two very good bands that play like the 70's.

5. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Looking for kindred spirits? Look for our people in many of the hobbies, professions and lifestyles that the hippies were known for: organic gardening and permaculture, alternative health care professions, yoga, Breema, meditation, some of the more progressive naturists, some members of the arts community, community service groups, environmental groups, communal living groups, some (but not all) of the homesteaders , crafters of many skills, some backpackers and hikers have a hippie-like wilderness ethic (which goes back to Thoreau and native American traditions), Rainbow Gathering, many people who travel as a way of life.

I don't know of anyone who is fully active in all these life skills and interests, but there seems to be a common theme in many of these that the original hippies as a whole exemplify.

As for current music with a "hip" flavor, off hand I can think of Sigur Ros, Feist, Dawn Landes, Raissa and her UK band The Mummers, all fresh composers and performers but a definite hip inspiration to their sounds. Please don't diss me for skipping your favorite hip-sounding band. Just add them to the list!

6. Wolfman's Brother

Wolfman's Brother Member

-Who really impacted your life to mold you into a hippy?
    My dad listens to classical rock and with time I started to research the culture who listened to such music as well,Also I was raised in an hippie style by my parents although they aren't really hippies.

-How do your friends treat you, and who do you hang around with?
    I have friends who don't mind who I'm they just accept me the way I'm if they make fun out of you for being different they aren't your friends. I mostly hang with people who are laid back and share the same interests as me.

-Do you think it'll last?
    Of course it will the hippie style is the most laid back,care free lifestyle why should I change it,hippies are also the best kind of people you will ever meet.

7. lazylion

lazylion Guest

2 questions.
    1. how do you join a group on here?
    2. Do you know of anyplace that i could go to to join a true hippie community?

8. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

1. How far did you get when you clicked "Social Groups"? See anything you want to join on Hipforums?

2. "join a true hippie community"? Do you want to stay in Michigan or are you willing to live somewhere else? Do you just want to help out somewhere for the summer or is this something more long-term, communes maybe? Disclaimer: some hippies are not members of anything, they just gather and share some good times. There are places in Atlanta where hip people can be found on a regular basis. "Hip Happens" everywhere, not just the big cities: college towns, even some rural areas. Let us know how your search goes! I am sure you will come back with some interesting stories.

9. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

lazylion, also check out Hippie Havens a page from a sister site to this one!
    Peace and Love should not be a nostalgic concept!

10. lazylion

lazylion Guest

garden guy i am looking for both,helping out somewhere for the summer and something more long-term

11. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Alright, here's another place to search: Intentional Communities for communes and other community groups like it.

Hippies are not as concentrated in one place as they were, but the easiest way to find them is to go to events that hippies enjoy participating in: Bonnaroo music festival (Manchester Tennesee, Burning Man, Rainbow Gathering Grateful Gathering (Bowling Green KY)stuff like that. There are a lot of hippies in and around Hendersonville NC and at the John Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC.
    I know of some hippies in Marin County north of San Francisco, look in Sausalito for starters. I better let some of our friends in California give you a more detailed picture of where hip people gather out that way.

Here in the big city, we have local environmental groups like Sierra Club, various native plant societies, and then there are hiking clubs, arts festivals, community service groups like Habitat for Humanity, community gardens, the list goes on.

Are you open to nudist camps? There are some all over the US, some with a more open attitude, some a bit old fashioned. I have been to a couple where hippies would be welcome. There is one clothing optional organic farm in Wisconsin about an hour's drive east of the Twin Cities. Some activities are only open to couples, but they are more open to singles when they need help on the farm.

Depending on what your interests are, how far you are willing to travel, there are a lot more hippies than you might first expect.

12. treeleaf

treeleaf Guest

no one really impacted me to become hippielike..i mean i grew up on the classics due to my parents but i think i properly got into the lifestyle when i was 15. not influenced by anyone i just really liked nature and groovy music. I ate organically and i believed that everyone should just let peace flow through them and get in touch spiritually with good energies.
    i didn't have friends for a while due to being "different" but it was just the area i was in. A beachy, bitchy, seclusive area that didn't allow for individuality and then i got out and made friends that dig who i am.
    I think that it is who i am- and that it will last as long as i live.
    --Leaf

13. volunteer_tommy

volunteer_tommy Elongated Member

1. I met a guy on another forum who was at Woodstock and we became friends... I was pursuing that lifestyle anyway, as I was into all the old music that is so commonly a stereotype of hippies, was growing my hair out and the like... and then I met Theodore Jankowski over at a guitar forum and I was inspired. Simple as that really.

2/ I hang around with the 2 groups of guys (musicians and my other friends), both of who aren't cool to everyone else... not that we give a damn. I'm THE hippie, the one and only, but we all stick together regardless of what subculture we wanna identify with - we have a "hick" in the group of friends, although we don't really label ourselves.

3 yeah, even if I wanted to, which would be a baaaad mistake, I doubt I could escape it:2thumbsup: I really love it all - I'm still working on it, but hey, I found this place, so that will make it far easier... and seal my fate, haha

14. eternal_traveler

eternal_traveler Members

ummm i really hated the trendy generation and trendy lifestyle since a kid. so i did my researches about nature , psychedelics and lifestyles attached with those , so yeah that is how i got into it

15. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I just skimmed through a few pages of this thread. It's cute.
    I'm really glad I didn't post here when I was fifteen : )

16. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

The teen hippies who posted here in 2007 are no longer teens o.o.

I started posting here under a few different aliases at 17, and that was embarrassing enough. Never mind 15.

17. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Hehe, so actually, both age 17 and 19 version of me posted in this thread.

Embarrassing.

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i have not posted in this thread. i'm just putting this here so next time it gets necroposted i'll hopefully see this and not skim through all 28 pages looking to see how i responded years ago.

i miss the feature from the old software that would take you directly to each of your posts in any given thread.