Teen hippies?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Mitok, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Mitok

Mitok Senior Member

So, here's a thread for the young'uns like me to communicate.
    So, a few questions to all ye fellows
    Who really impacted your life to mold you into a hippy?
    How do your friends treat you, and who do you hang around with?
    Do you think it'll last?

2. ChildoftheRisingSun

ChildoftheRisingSun Member

1. Many but mostly Jimi Hendrix
    2. My friends treat my same as always, and i hang around with people i like.
    3. It'll last always

3. ciggy020

ciggy020 Member

well i have to say my mom made me a hippy.

My friends, of course call me a hippie everyday. but some are the same

I think it will last, as i tell my brother, this isn't a simple phase, its a lifestyle.

4. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Oh man, it was back in the summer of '67. I was out and about, walking around just checking out the flowers... then before I know it... I was in the city, the big city man. There were these cats standing on the platform, shouting at the automobils to stop. Long haired hip cats. I instantly found my calling in life.

Man, my friends, we're jive man. We go and do all of this groovy shit. We sit around and talk about the good ol' time when people were fighting on the streets, and not sitting infront of their TV. We smoke a little bit of the mota, that's how the Mexican cats used to call it. Then we go out on town with the hip jive groove in our eyes.

Do you think it'll last?

Hey hey, my my
    Rock and roll can never die
    There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye.
    Hey hey, my my.

Out of the blue and into the black
    You pay for this, but they give you that
    And once you're gone, you can't come back
    When you're out of the blue and into the black.

The king is gone but he's not forgotten
    Is this the story of johnny rotten?
    It's better to burn out 'cause rust never sleeps
    The king is gone but he's not forgotten.

Hey hey, my my
    Rock and roll can never die
    There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye.

5. Ayzcrava

Ayzcrava Member

It started that I always kind of had the ideals but never really did much with them, I wasn't a hippie at all, more of a nihilist metalhead who uses psychedelic drugs. Then one night a friend invited me along to a goa party on Ruigoord. Now ruigoord is a place founded, or actually taken over in the early 70's by hippies and over the years transformed into a place for parties, people to meet, and festivals and there's ateliers for artists.. it was mostly squadded. My mother used to have a horse there when I was younger, but they destroyed the nature aria behind ruigoord left it only to be a village near a large square piece of water.
    For years I never heared of it until the friend invited me a long. I thought 'haha, a party, on ruigoord? I should be there', and should, because going there every weekend for the horse stuff made me grow up there (thinking back; there were always hippies there). Basically; that night something changed. The feeling I had held hidden inside of me had always been there, but I felt a need to live to it a bit more. I talked to strangers as if they were my best friends (sober) and danced the night away; I actually made friends that same night. After that I felt a need to return to the goa scene (lots of old and young hippies) after that party and went to a few more. There I got more connected to the scene, the feeling behind it, the love and above all: the freedom! And since that moment I just kind of became one.
    So it wasn't really someone who impacted me, it was the whole scene, the memories of me as a child running over the fields between the dreadlocked colourful people laughing, the fact I was already into psychedelic drugs and freedom to decide over your own body; I already had very liberal politic views.. all I needed was to see the place were all of them connected to one. In way I'd been one all my life without knowing, as I said; was interested in tripping since I found out about its existance at age 10, had always been interested in politics with very liberal views (extremely pro-choise on everything basically), and the freedom.
    Actually today I went to a protest for the first time and it just all feels natural. Its not htat I chose to be a hippie. I was one and found others to check on if I actually was.

My friends aren't hippies, but they don't actually see me as one. Most of the days I don't look like a hippie except that I grow my hair real long and keep it natural, I really love simple black clothing so thats what I wear most. They refer to me as 'being quite hippie like' and sometimes say 'you're quite a bit of a hippie actually' but they all accept me the way I am.
    I must add though, the have the same political standviews that I have, they love nature as much as I do, they smoke weed and take psychedelics, they are for freedom all the same.. but the feeling is missing. They just think those things, but they don't feel .. just it. Maybe they just haven't been to ruigoord yet haha.
    And I deffinatly think it'll last; I found a word for what I am, I found the people and I found the feeling growing stronger and stronger. Its not something I do for fashion (I don't even have many colourful clothing) and I don't do it for the music (although I like some 60's music, I'm mostly into black metal and dark psy trance), and I don't do it for the drugs (I did those before I thought I could be a hippie). I am because I feel it, and it'll last. Its what I truly feel.

Edit: haha shit this got long

6. The Reverend

The Reverend Member

^^^ Hoi! Hoe gaat het met u?

I've been to many goa parties on Ruigoord. The New Year's Eve ones and some of the Solstice ones over the years. Not since last year though :( Some friends of mine got booked to play on the new years party a couple of years ago and I came over with them, amazing venue! Can't wait to be back, I love that place :)

Sadly I'm not a teen hippy so sorry for the thread hijack...

7. Ayzcrava

Ayzcrava Member

Hoi; 't gaat goed.

I was also on a few parties on ruigoord (also some trance mafia places in amsterdam noord). I might go to this new years one, and this years solstice. And yes ruigoord is an amazing place; its like time never hit it.

8. lilyflowerr

lilyflowerr Member

i cant really think of one person whos really impacted my life to be a "hippy" it just sort of happened one day - i guess id have to say my english teacher because thats when i really started understanding it more and he really taught me a lot

my friends definetly arent as serious about it as me but theyre pretty open minded and they understand the way i am - as far as believing the same things as me they really dont at all .. but at least most like the same music as I lol

I think it will stay - i feel really strongly about what I believe and i mean that cant just change easily .. my guess is ill either persue the lifestyle hardcore or ill just stay living of how i live now

9. stratface

stratface Member

my parents turned me the way i am by being opressive motherfuckers.

that said, i'll be a hippy 'til the day i die.

10. SlydeHippie

SlydeHippie Banned

Who impacted me to be a hippie?
    Well, I used to be involved in alot of violence. It got out of hand, to the point of gangs chasing us in through there, and out that way, etc. etc. Whne I moved, I told myself I wanted to start over, I no longer wanted that lifestyle. So I just stopped and I became my own person.

However, one day I was sitting in Barnes & Nobles waiting for my mom to pick me up. I had a book report due in 2 days so I scanned through all the books quickly. One was extremely appealing due to the peace sign in the front.

The book is called Schooled. The main character of that book "Cap" is how I think people should be. He's a peace with himself and others. This REALLY shaped my beliefs and made me what I am today.

*Book desciption*
    "*Starred Review* Homeschooled on an isolated "alternate farm commune" that has dwindled since the 1960s to 2 members, 13-year-old Cap has always lived with his grandmother, Rain. When she is hospitalized, Cap is taken in by a social worker and sent—like a lamb to slaughter—to middle school. Smart and capable, innocent and inexperienced (he learned to drive on the farm, but he has never watched television), long-haired Cap soon becomes the butt of pranks. He reacts in unexpected ways and, in the end, elevates those around him to higher ground. From chapter to chapter, the first-person narrative shifts among certain characters: Cap, a social worker (who takes him into her home), her daughter (who resents his presence there), an A-list bully, a Z-list victim, a popular girl, the school principal, and a football player (who unintentionally decks Cap twice in one day). Korman capably manages the shifting points of view of characters who begin by scorning or resenting Cap and end up on his side. From the eye-catching jacket art to the scene in which Cap says good-bye to his 1,100 fellow students, individually and by name, this rewarding novel features an engaging main character and some memorable moments of comedy, tenderness, and reflection. Pair this with Jerry Spinelli's 2000 Stargirl (the sequel is reviewed in this issue) for a discussion of the stifling effects of conformity within school culture or just read it for the fun of it. Phelan, Carolyn"

I recommend picking it up, it's a short novel, a good book.

I've officially been dubbed "Hippe Boy" in my school. More people know be by that than my real name. I only hang around with my 2 best friend's, and the occasional random skaters I meet. My best friends accept me for who I am. I have even influenced one of them to follow in my footsteps, and we can both walk this road together.

My brother keeps telling me I'm going through ALL of my phases right now. Beatles, Hippie, skating.

They can call it what they wish, but this is a lifestyle, not a fashion statement or a petty attempt to gain attention.

Peace and Love, John.
    Keepin' it Groovy since 93'

11. Beckner420

Beckner420 troll

I never really new what being a hippy meant until i started realizing i was kind of like one. I dont think im a hippy as the definition is, but people call me a hippy often. Dont think ill ever change either.

12. Mitok

Mitok Senior Member

I just realized I never answeres hese questions mehself.

My older (by 5 years) brother's friend, Marina, who I consider more of a sister than my brother is a brother, taught me everything I new, just by hanging around me. She would talk, I would listen, I would ask questions, and then over time she was asking me questions. I hardly see her any more, but when I do, We just talk and draw and laugh.

I hang out with everybody at my school. By everybody I mean a little bit of everything. I don't accept those who don't accept me. I hang out with the people who are "unpopular," even though that's a majority of the class, and the people they hate. The "unpopulars" are dubbed nerds, and the others are dubbed dumb, but when I hang with them, I see no difference between them. Almost everybody, mostly the girls, love my hippyism. Some of the guys are a little more close-minded.

As for if it will last, definitely. I am, and all of you are, a living monument to the greatest people on Earth and beyond, and we should live for their tribute.

13. lilyflowerr

lilyflowerr Member

I am, and all of you are, a living monument to the greatest people on Earth and beyond, and we should live for their tribute.[/QUOTE]
    ah right on

14. nynysuts

nynysuts No Gods, No Masters

Noone in particular made me into a hippie, it started when I got really concerned about the environment and in particular Nuclear warfare. I'd always been freespirited, but after being called a hippie mid-environment rant, I got quite interested in it. At this smae time I'd started to dress in a very hippieish manner, and that hasn't stopped. the best thing is the fact I have a place to fit in now, I prefer being called a hippie to 'that weirdo girl with no friends' as I used to be. Hippiedom made me realise how important being your own person is and not to listen to what others say about you. I'm really comfortable with myself and my style, noone can say anything that will get me down!
    Just realised, somethings that strengthened my hippieness was last week in north wales when I walked into a hippie shop and the two women in their as soon as i came in spoke to me like I was an old friend, complimenting what I was wearing (jeans, a kaftan type dress, one of my big tam hats and boots with rainbow laces, quite toned down for me) and saying I was a breath of fresh air (!). the woman said she felt a connection wityh what I was wearing, and my friend (not a hippie) said it was because my aura is extremely bright. It was like I fitted in and it was such a good feeling, I can't wait to meet some more hippies!

I hang about with an evangelical christian, a grl who is very interested in runes and wolves and the like and a few others. At work I hang around with a muslim and a very normal conservative girl. None of them are bothered that I'm a hippie, they respect that I've chosen that path in life, though none are thrilled with my prospective weed experiment. I live in a very conservative area, I get a few negative comments, basically 'freak' and 'hippie', which i've learnt to take as a compliment towards my individuality.

Do you think it'll last?
    Put it this way: I hope so. I love being a hippie, I just think it's my niche after taking so much shit when i was younger (I was badly bullied). With my interest in the environment, the dreadlocks and nose piercings that will emerge in a few years and the freedom of university, I hope that i will grow as a hippie! I can't wait to meet hippies who I can regard as my friends, we have one boy with dreads and a very environment-concious boy in my school, neither know me very well, and I have a feeling the one with lovely dreads doesn't like me too well...

15. SummerEco

SummerEco Member

1. well i've always known that i was way different from the rest, than as i got older i had a teacher/friend who was a total hippie. after that i just got curious and discovered the hippy way! right then and there i discovered that this was what it was missing from my life and that my whole life i fit in the hippie characteristics and i loved it. so really i've always been a hippie i just didn't know it until my teacher opened my eyes.
    2. and as for my friends well they treat me kind of the same, except when they're joking. they understand how i live my life and try to respect that. and i really hang out with a lot of different people each one way unique. some artists, musicans and such. and i know all kinds of people.
    3. some people do think that this is just a phase in my life. but i know it isn'tthis is how i am and i how want to live my life. if i didnt really believe in what i'm doing i wouldn't have done everything i've done so far.

16. HippieBuster

HippieBuster Member

it was my neighbor, a college student anmed Josh that kind of made me who i am. He was so intelligent about everything, and we hung out so much that I sort of becamea hippie by mind.

I dont have many friends at school, all my real friends are college aged. Even my fellow Starbucks employees are all college students. I dont dress like most people see hippies as. I'm more of a jeans and shirt type of guy.

I dont know if it will last. I know my dad was a hippie in the 60's and 70's but now he is a fiscal conservative. When i asked him, he said that he was young and ignorant then, and that his eyes had been opened as he got older. Maybe that will happen to me, maybe it wont.

17. emelia

emelia the resident gangsta

Nobody in particularaly influenced be to be what I am. I've always been free-spirited; accepted by all but at the same time different from everyone. I've always been chirpy with a welcoming attitude. I've never been judgemental and I've always been more accepting than most.
    I don't think anybody made me a hippie. If anything had something to do with it, it was my families choices and lifestyle. We're a normal enough family, but my mum has always encouraged me to be whatever I want - not what my friends want. We've also travelled alot... I've lived in 12 different houses in my life, and I've lived in England, Gran Canaria, Fueteventura, Lanzarote and Tenerife. Living in some of these islands molded me to be more laid back and carefree; I don't think I could ever live an English Lifestyle now.

My friends treat me fine ^_^ I'm the sunny, happy person in our group, and I sort of put us all together, as a collection of the nicest people in my school. But that doesn't mean I restict myself to just hanging around with them. I've got friends from all walks of life. I'm lucky in that way, I could be in the 'popular' crowd or the 'outcast' crowd... But I choose to be close with the people I most connect with :D

Do you think it'll last?

I think it will. For me, being a hippie is my personality; not just my lifestyle.

18. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

Some of my friends, not really molding, mostly me seeing them and talking with them and thinking 'dude... this is YOU!'. Also the music involved. My life is mainly about music, and it has effect on me like nothing else. It was just the 60s West Coast psychrock doing its work.

I'm one of the gang, just as valuable as any other. We love and respect each other the way we are and that's how it's been from the beginning when I started at the faculty of archaeology. Though I have to say one friend (comrad Gijs) has really been making the difference the last one and a half years. He's become an immensely valuable brother-in-arms, and I love him dearly.

Do you think it'll last?

My hippiness? It didn't! I'm a permanently depressed, cynical, misanthropic bastard now. :) Our friendship? Yes, and if not, I'll make it last god dammit!

19. FreeLeverette

FreeLeverette Member

I am 13. I used to conform, listen to rap music and crap, but one day when I got into a street fight, I noticed what the hell! Society is corrupt! I view everything differently now, and I wish I grew up in the 60s. I have about one or two friends, and my acquantances call me hippie.

20. Mitok

Mitok Senior Member

Abut the wishing being born in the sixties, I think the post-flower children can each individually make an impact instead of having to do it in big groups. Still, big protests are always a good way to voice your people.