teaching english in foreign nations

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by sheeprooter, May 31, 2006.

1. sheeprooter

sheeprooter Member

do 3rd world "developing" nations really need english? is it in their interest to be able to communicate with western nations and join the global marketplace? i want to teach english in south america or asia because its a cheap way to travel, but i wonder about the ethics involved. what do you think. has anyone here actually tried it? i plan to use this experience to join the peace corps

2. somedude

somedude Member

Knowing a second language helps anyone get better work. So, yes, they do need it.

3. sheeprooter

sheeprooter Member

but there just seems to be something so wrong with introducing "society" to a people who have a valuable, unique culture. maybe they are happier without advancement. of course, if you wave a big mac in front of a tribesman he will want a macdonalds, but he wont have any way of knowing about the terrible price that us 1st worlders pay for it in obesity, boredom, drug addiction, crime, all that terrible shit that we assume to be normal.

4. somedude

somedude Member

How is teaching English introducing "society"?

5. indescribability

indescribability Not To Be Continued

It's not. There are plenty of societies, located all over the world, that do not speak English as a primary language. That was either a rediculous statement, or a poorly construed thought.