Taxes

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by DancerAnnie, May 30, 2006.

1. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Since, as an American, I have to pay taxes or the government will knock on my door...

I think it would be great if I could itemize what I permitted the government to use my tax money for. You know, like if you make a donation to charity, you can identify what you want it to be used for, i.e. a certain program you may support.

I think it would make me less grumpy about getting taxes taken out of my check.

2. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Charities are non profits and they don't have to publish their funding, which would be a disaster if everyone did it.

Even if that did work, I assume there'd be a lot more animals eating better then old people.

And you know animals... they'd just spend it on crack, [​IMG]

3. DancerAnnie

Actually, non-profits do have to publish their earnings and budget. I took a non-profit management class last semester and learned that, since a good portion of their budgets come from government funding, they require them to post their earnings and budget to be sure that money is being used correctly.

4. indescribability

indescribability Not To Be Continued

If the average american was left to allocate the spending of the money their required to pay, things would turn out very ugly. We elect officials because we trust them more than we trust ourselves with these sorts of decisions.

5. DancerAnnie

We do???

6. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

NPO's that recive government funding need to publish earnings, although I've never heard that NPO's that government does not fund need to.

Got a link?

7. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

How many people do you think care for funding dams in Alaska? It's a really bad idea.

8. DancerAnnie

Dams are bad anyway...

I think it's a good idea...and no I don't have any links...I read it in my text book.

9. indescribability

indescribability Not To Be Continued

"We" is the equivalent of those who vote for the officials. If you do not vote, than you're saying your voice does not count and leaving those decisions, indirectly, in the hands of others.

10. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Textbooks are worse for the enviornment. And in times of the internet they're much less usefull then a good dam. [​IMG]

11. DancerAnnie

I vote, but it doesn't mean I trust them with my money, which is why I propose we tell the government what we want done with the money that WE earn :)

12. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

I mean a hot dam. I'mma go drink some more.

Most people are way to dumb to hold on to their own money. That's why god invited the televangelist.

...or maybe it was the CIA...

13. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

And how many crazy old men do you think would rather give to the NRA then to schools?

14. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

I had a similar thought myself. If we could do that it would effectively democratize public finance and would do alot to minimize government waste.

15. DancerAnnie

I think the U.S. population would probably even things out...and I mean, at the present time, we wouldn't be able to pay the President, so...it's possible he would resign :) I mean, who works for free?