tatt care

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by hippin life, Apr 22, 2005.

1. hippin life

hippin life Member

ok i havn't gotten a tatt done yet and i was wondering if anyone could share some general matinence(sp) rules for them (i realize a good artist would tell you, but i want an idea before approaching one).

2. HippyLove

HippyLove Visitor

make sure you keep it clean. I also got a jar of "tattoo goo" and put that on it everyday. And careful nothing rubs up against it while its healing- loose clothing. They will tell you exactly what to do when you get it done.

3. Crayon

Crayon Member

Dont cover it with goopy shit. If you want to heal a tattoo with ease, just wash it daily with dial soap and put a very very thin layer of neosporin on it. When it starts to get scabby and dry,use a bit of unscented lotion (lubriderm) on it. Should work great!

4. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

tattoo goo is good, but it smells pretty strongly. Ask your artist what they would recommend... my artist said anythign designed for tats is good but especially if it has vitamin E. Keep it moist with the product until it's done peeling. If you get it done on any spot that clothing usually covers, you may need to do more loads of laundry... I ended up changing my shirt a couple times a day because it got all sticky and smelly from the goo.

5. stormyy

stormyy Member

For all 4 of my tatts I washed them twice a day with diluted liquid Dial antibacterial soap, and applied a VERY thin layer of Lubriderm lotion when the itchies were unbearable. I think the less you do to tattoos (and piercings) the better off they will be. If you are constantly messing with them and putting a ton of stuff on them, the chances of irritation go up.

6. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

I concur. You should keep them clean, but they don't have to be sterile. I just washed my in the shower with dial soap. I used lotion 1-3 times a day to kill the itchies. If its not itching, it doesn't need to be moist. Actually, overmoisturizing them in the first few days can leach out some ink and make them less vibrant. Use a mild lotion. Anything that you use before that doesn't give you a reaction is fine.

PEace

7. Welsh Werecat

Welsh Werecat Member

Yeah, I used a healing jel, I forget the name, but only used it twice a day, once when I got up and once when I went to bed. Other than that, I agree with everyone else, keep it clean and DON'T SCRATCH IT!.