Tate & Lyle exact their 'pound of flesh' from donation !!!

Discussion in 'U.K. Politics' started by Vladimir Illich, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Tate & Lyle donated sums of money to the scumbag 'nasty party' and are now set to exact their 'pound of flesh' for that donation, at the expense of the rest of us. BASTARDS !!!

Tate & Lyle: Brexit-backing firm that donated to Tories set to save £73m from trade change
    Company denies ‘sweet deal’ that will import sugar cane from countries with lower employment and environmental standards

A company is in line to save £73m from a post-Brexit trade shake-up, after campaigning to leave the EU and donating money to the Conservatives.

Tate & Lyle Sugars has secured “a sweet deal” that will also see cane imported from countries with lower employment and environmental standards, Greenpeace alleged, following an investigation.

“It looks like the government has granted them their wish,” said Sam Lowe, senior research fellow at the Centre for European Reform think-tank, on the new arrangements.

But the firm said it was “a complete fantasy” that it wanted to import cheap, poorly produced sugar, under a shake-up at the end of the year, and defended its lobbying.

Gerald Mason, its senior vice president, told The Observer: “We’ve never hidden our issues with Europe. We’ve been quite transparent about it.”

The controversy comes after the government said companies will be able to import 260,000 tonnes of raw sugar cane from anywhere in the world, tariff-free, from January.

However, the only company that currently imports raw sugar cane is Tate & Lyle – one of the few large employers that publicly backed Brexit.

Its name was also carried on the lanyards worn by everyone who attended the 2017 Tory conference, a sponsorship is recorded as an £8,000 donation by the Electoral Commission.

The new tariff-free quota equates to a £72.8m saving, according to analysis by Greenpeace’s Unearthed investigations team.

It is being introduced after a long and public lobbying campaign by the company. Greenpeace said Tate & Lyle had held at least 10 meetings with senior ministers over the last three years.

The Brexit fight split the UK’s sugar industry, because the company’s main rival, British Sugar, makes its product from beets produced by British farmers – and has attacked the changes.

“This is a sweet deal for a food giant with close ties to the Conservative Party and easy access to ministers, but it’s a bitter one for our environmental standards and farmers,” said John Sauven, Greenpeace’s executive director.

“Ditching tariffs on raw cane sugar will boost imports from a handful of countries, all of which use pesticides banned in the UK for being harmful to wildlife and humans.”

But Mr Mason said: “In Australia and Brazil, which are two countries we’d love to buy more from, they have the highest numbers of sugar producers who are certified for the highest ethical environmental standards in the world.”

He defended Tate & Lyle’s links with the Tories, saying: “Yes, we have ministers visit the refinery to talk about the issues.

“We have Labour Party politicians, we have Lib Dem politicians. Anybody who can help us secure the future of our business in the UK, we will speak to very openly and transparently.”

A Department for International Trade spokesperson said: “The UK global tariff schedule is tailored to the UK economy and designed to back British businesses, ensuring they compete on fair terms with the rest of the world.”

2. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

That's just typical of how things are today with this government, talk about looking after their own, recently there was that bloke, a relative of a serving mp, when all this Covid stuff started sending businesses into difficulty he went round buying up all the shares that had fallen dramatically,he even admitted that he was going to make a killing when things turned around again.
    As far as I can see it is all about looking after their own and the common man can go to the wall, it is wrong, very wrong, and something needs to change. Same thing with the famous, 'we're all in it together' speeches, actually we were not all in it together, the well off Tory mp's and their cronies were getting a bit of shit on their shoes, the ordinary working man was swimming in it, how the hell is that being 'all in it together' as someone once said, 'all men are equal, but some are more equal than others'.

3. Vladimir Illich

The scumbag 'nasty party' have NEVER been any different - they've always been bastards !!!

phil1965 likes this.
  4. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

From what I hear the firm of Tate and Lyle is scum internationally. Just ask anyone in Brooklyn about what happened to the Domino Sugar factory!

Only thing worse I hear is the real estate developers who jumped on that factory property after they ran the company into the ground and fired all the workers.

5. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

I don't think any of them are any different these days, our local council is Labour and they are as bad, they closed libraries and day centres due to lack of funds but there's always money for stuff that we don't need but they want, monuments to vanity we call them.

6. Vladimir Illich

... and who were supposed to be providing those necessary funds - Hmmm ??? - None other than the same scumbag 'nasty party' government !!!

7. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

As usual you missed the point, yes the tories give out the money but the way our labour council waste it makes them no better! lets suppose I give you a small amount of money, now it's not enough for you to buy beer and fags and buy food for your family, if you choose to buy beer and fags instead of feeding your family does that make you any better than me, the one who doesn't give you enough money? No it doesn't, and that is exactly my point!
    Our council was going on about how tight funding was, they closed things and reduced staff, our main library, a listed building, is being allowed to fall into disrepair for alleged lack of funds, yet they decided at a meeting that we needed a new crest for our council sothey spent a load of money having it designed, then they had it put on all the vehicles and road signs, replacing the existing ones, not too mention all the stationary.
    And what was the difference between the old crest and the new one? well the old one had a coat of arms with the words 'St Helens council' below it, the new one has 'St Helens Borough Council' ! Hardly a worthwhile use of limited funds if you ask me,
    The amount of corruption is shocking, they are spending many many thousands of pound on a new recycling cart, all the other area's use several bins yet we are having a cart that is big and clumsy, all despite the fact that almost all of the residents are against it. there are that many plain brown envelopes flying about in our town hall it's unreal, at the end of the day 2 wrongs don't make a right.

8. Vladimir Illich

You and the majority of your neighbours voted them into power, based on a manifesto of promises, if they haven't kept those promises, no doubt come the next election they'lll be voted out and you'll put back the scumbag 'nasty party' - your choice.

9. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

Unfortunately, we really only have two options, labour or tory, we had a really low turnout in our area for several years, most of us can't be bothered voting, the trouble is not only is there no credible alternative, the one's that do vote are so stupid they would vote my dog in as mayor if I stuck a labour rosette on it.
    we have the idiot parties, democrats and greens, but their policies are pathetic, I remember the green party manifesto, they'd put all their effort into cleaning up open spaces and increasing recycling, not a mention of improving much needed social care etc, they all live in cloud cuckoo land.

10. Vladimir Illich

So do I matey, which is why for the past ten years we have had a 'Green' MP here in Brighton and she makes an excellent MP, I contact her (and receive replies) quite frequently.