Taking Zoloft while pregnant?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by lizardqueen102, Sep 9, 2013.

1. lizardqueen102

lizardqueen102 Member

Please share your stories, negative and positive alike. I want to start a family but am currently on 100mg of Zoloft for depression and anxiety and I can't find any information regarding the effect it can have on an unborn baby. They say it's the safest antidepressant to be on while pregnant. Also my depression and anxiety is severe so going off of medication is not an option for me and my doctor has said the stress I would be going through without medication would not be good for the baby either.

2. gilded raven

gilded raven Member

Zoloft contains sodium fluoride
    "

Epidemiological studies conducted in areas with high levels of naturally fluoridated water showed no increase in birth defects. Heavy exposure to fluoride during in utero development may result in skeletal fluorosis which becomes evident in childhood. Adverse effects on reproduction have been reported in animals exposed to 100 ppm or greater concentrations of fluoride in their diet or drinking water. Other animal studies reported that lower concentrations of fluoride (5 mg/kg of body weight) did not result in impaired fertility and reproductive capabilities. Animal studies have reported that fluoride crosses the placenta, but only 0.01% of the amount administered is incorporated in fetal issues. Maternal animal exposure to 12.2 mg fluoride/kg of body weight or 13.1 mg/kg of body weight did not affect the litter size or fetal weight and did not increase the frequency of skeletal or visceral malformations.

Fluoride topical has been assigned to pregnancy category B by the FDA. Animal studies have shown that fluoride is not a teratogen. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy. Fluoride topical should be given during pregnancy when need has been clearly established.
    Fluoride topical Breastfeeding Warnings

There are no data on the excretion of fluoride into human milk. Because many drugs are excreted in milk, caution is recommended if products containing fluoride are administered to a nursing woman.

Reduced milk production was reported in farm-raised animals when they were fed a diet containing a high concentration of fluoride (98 to 137 mg/kg of body weight). No adverse effects on parturition, lactation, or offspring were seen in animals administered fluoride up to 5 mg/kg of body weight."

3. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

I wouldn't trust the pharmaceutical company’s. They want to make money even at the expense of an unborn child. You should try more natural herbal ways to heal your mind and body. It would be difficult because many herbs can have adverse effects if your pregnant but I think you would have a better shot at having a healthy child if you stayed away from the pills the doctors are paid to hand out.