Taking Liberties Since 1997

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by mbworkrelated, May 21, 2007.

1. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

http://www.myspace.com/takinglibertiesuk

Freedom of Speech. Right to Privacy. Innocent Until Proven Guilty. Prohibition from Torture. TAKING LIBERTIES will reveal how these liberties have been systematically destroyed by New Labour, and the freedoms of the British people stolen from under their noses amidst a climate of fear created by the media and government itself.

Looks erm ''fascinating''.

2. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I'm not sure whether that constitutes a systematic assault on liberties. I don't think the government conspired to restrict freedoms in a variety of areas because they thought it would be a necessary ideological project to pursue. However, one might recognise that circumstance has convened in such a way that the Blair governments have presided over substantial restrictions of liberties. In many cases the government, media and population feed off one another to create irrational laws that respond to moral panics. In others the realities of a post-9/11 world have led to more coercive policies, some advised, other ill advised. But to see this as a systematic assault would be to imply a greater calculating logic than in reality exists....

3. lithium

lithium frogboy

Interesting that the big screen polemical documentary is now coming to Britain:)

4. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

For once I agree with both of you - shocking as that is.