Taking kids to PRIDE.

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by PhotoDude, Jun 15, 2013.

1. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

As this deals more with parenting that anything else, I feel this belongs here.

My best friend (whom I've known for 21 years, and is an ex-lover) wants to take her kids to PRIDE tomorrow. I'm all for her teaching her kids that homosexuality is a normal thing, as I strongly agree with this, but her kids are 4 and 6. Our City's pride is known for STRONG visuals, and I feel this is too much for kids that young. Does a 4 year old girl or a 6 year old boy need to see this so young? I feel she should wait until they 13 or so until taken to pride.

Opinions?

2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

At That Age They Will Most Likely See It As A Big

Colourful Noisy Street Parade And Nothing More...:).

I Wouldn't Worry Too Much...:).

Cheers Glen.

djomalley likes this.
  3. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Cheers Glen is right. Just because you might see it as something sexual that doesn't mean kids do that too.

4. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

I just feel that it's not an environment that her kids should be in. As for the sexually thing, her son is already at 6 trying to see breasts.

5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Well At Pride He's Going To See A Lot Of Those, Should Put A Smile

On The Young Mans Face For Weeks...[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

6. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Breasts are not necessarily something sexual. Again, you as a brainwashed adult see things different than kids do. Breasts are just part of someones body, but because we so desperately feel the need to hide that, we give it a sexual meaning.

7. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

I know what you mean, but the kid (son) has been looking at breast in a sexually matter, Kids start realizing and understanding things at a different age.

8. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

Also, I'm an Nude Photographer/Artist, and don't see breasts as a sexually thing. I see the Human body as art. But thanks for the assumption.

9. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I didn't mean it personally, I meant it as adults in general.

10. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

Oh okay, I understand.

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

bird didnt mean it personally, but I think I will.

You are full of it.

You dont see breasts as a sexual thing eh? But you automatically assume a 6 year old checking out boobies all the time is sexual in an adult way? Highly doubtful, it would put him at the extreme end of the puberty bell cuve.

And these exlovers kids, is the 6 year old yours? if so fair enough I suppose, if not , its so awesome you are there to tell her how to raise her kids

Take a poll, see how many chics actually believe you when you say you dont see breasts as a sexual thing, not that they'll bother answering, just roll their eyes.

So basically you are just being extra prudish in the hope everyone will think your work is purely professional and they never find out you have the odd tug over some models if they have a really awesome rack

12. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

I love how you jumped to this conclusion. It's like you know me. You must know everything. God forbid if somebody has different views or thinks completely different than you. Or that ALL kids are the same, or that all guys see the female form as something to get hard about.

13. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Or that people parent their own kids? G-d forbid.

My local Pride is SF. It is out there, with leather pride seeping in.
    So, parents keep an eye out and distract if the parade or area is a bit too adult for their kids to process. There are lots of things to see. Wander over. Get the kids to check out the pink poodles. There are always pink dogs.

I worked sound at Denver Pride a couple years, and they had a kid friendly area.

14. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

We went to pride with our daughter and her 5 year old son.

He had a great time and was quite the target for receiving frisbees, t-shirts, candy, etc. from the parade participants.

Once, or maybe twice, something a bit to adult came along and we just distracted him until it passed.

It was a great experience for all of us.

15. Sassygurl

Sassygurl Member

I've only ever been to pride in Toronto and that was years ago. At that time, from what I witnessed, it is not something I would feel comfortable taking my 4 and 6 year olds to. What its like now I am not sure, so I would have to ask my friends that go yearly if its a family friendly event....I just remember there being so much nudity and not in a casual way...but in an "in your face" kind of way. I'm not interested in my kids seeing some of those leather outfits at this time either.

16. Victoria1987

Victoria1987 Member

The kids probably won't remember anything about the PRIDE parade, so it probably isn't anything to worry about. I understand the concern, though. The "in your face" nudity that Sassygurl mentioned at some of the parades can be a bit off putting if you aren't prepared for it. I'd suggest taking the kids to the kid friendly areas that Drumminmama mentioned. I'd assume most PRIDE parades have those.

17. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I think the smaller-contained Pride events have kid areas.

I didn't notice one in SF, but it was overwhelming. I'm not great in crowds, and my kid is old now. Not a child. (21)

18. CandiiRainbow

CandiiRainbow Member

Gay pride is for all ages, I took my older girl first when she was 2-3 months, will take them both 2015 (we are moving during pride next year) so they'll be 3 and 5 :)

I've only been to the Icelandic gay pride and it's always awesome !

19. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Kids see it all on t.v. anyway...

[​IMG]

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

^^^

On TV they call it the eurovision song contest ;)