Takashi Miike.....stay clear of this director

Discussion in 'International Movies' started by CandeeVictoria, Feb 1, 2011.

1. CandeeVictoria

CandeeVictoria Member

I was in a dark place once and decided, "Hey, I wonder if I can find the most fucked up movie ever created." At first titles like Cannibal Haulocaust and The Girl Next Door came into my collection. They were pretty messed up. But then I delved deeper and came into contact with a Japanese horror film director named Takashi Miike. He is notorious for writing and directing films consisting of taboo and unspeakable wrong. Just take a look at the top 3 fucked up movies that made my list, all movies directed by Takashi Miike.

1. Visitor Q - About a crazed, dysfunctional family that gets an unexpected visit from a stranger who, in the most bizarre ways, brings the family back together.

Contains: Rape, Violence, Domestic Abuse, Incest, Adultery, and Necrophelia.

2. Ichi The Killer - Kakihara is a masochistic gang member in search of Ichi, the sadistic killer who may be able to inflict the pain Kakihara desperately craves.

Contains: Massive amounts of Rape, Violence, Gore, Sadism, and Masochism.

3. Box - A young woman who is having strange, reoccurring dreams of being buried in a box in a body bag finds a connection between her dreams and the disappearance of her twin sister.

Contains: Rape, Incest, Violence

Get what I mean?

2. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Telling us what's in it doesn't necessarily tell us why it's in it.

I mean, clearly those things are controversial; but there's a difference between Boyz in tha Hood and Get Rich or Die Trying.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn probably has the most utterances of ****** of any book, same with Blazing Saddles, for film; and both are anti-racism.

3. Nyxx

Nyxx HELLO STALKER

I really like his films. Ichi the Killer is a great movie. To each his/her own.

4. CandeeVictoria

CandeeVictoria Member

Oh trust me, I never said I didn't like them, I love his work. It's just his once-in-a-few movies that he directs just to see how far evilness in a film can go. He does this well, though! He is my favorite, next to Fruit Chan and Park Chan Wook.

5. Nyxx

Nyxx HELLO STALKER

Have you ever seen "Tetsuo: The Iron Man"? One of the most twisted and brilliant examples of modern Asian cinema.
    Check it out.

6. CandeeVictoria

CandeeVictoria Member

Yep, I enjoyed that one. You and I can get along. =]

7. Nyxx

Nyxx HELLO STALKER

That movie...blew my mind. So original, creative, and visionary. It is like watching an intense anime, but live action. Yeah we could watch twisted flicks togehter haha.

The scene where he notices one of his whiskers is metal...fucking awesome scene.

8. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

your trolling on this one right?

miike and his works, have won just about every award there is in the movies and film arts.

'cannibal holocaust' and 'jack ketchum's the girl next door' are great works of art, due to their thought provoking natures.
    that goes for miike's works also.
    as a case in point about miike's works,
    vistor q is a movie that deals with reality television and, how it corrupts every thing and every one it touches.
    miike deals with hardcore ethical and moral questions about mainstream society and what kind of people are we.
    right now, i'm re-reading one of my favored books, 'steppenwolf.'
    hesse got the same kind of shit dumped upon him during most of his life time that, your doing with now with miike.
    now hesse is reconized as one of the greatest authors of the 20th. century.
    i think miike is well on his way to being reconized as one of the greatest movie directors of the 21st. century.

please, just give me a break!

9. CandeeVictoria

CandeeVictoria Member

Hey, I wasn't trying to dog him. He really is a genius, it's just me reflecting on my own messed up desires to watch in a movie.

10. rak

rak Senior Member

I wanted to watch Ichi for so long. Alone that trailer drives me crazy.

11. laudenum

laudenum Guest

Ichi the Killer aggravated me because it was almost a really good movie.It had a lot of interesting points, and a lot of cool parts, but there was a lot of dumb getting in the way(especially if you're jaded to movie violence and gore). Now Tokyo Gore Police, that's how you do a super-violent movie.

Tetsuo the Iron Man has what my associates have called the Donnie Darko effect. I don't know if I liked it. I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone. I don't think I understood it. But I'm glad I watched it.

The sequel, Tetsuo the Bullet Man just sucked, though.

12. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

bloody love him, there are some who call him the japanese david lynch (which, although i'm sure it was intended as a compliment, i find a little reductive) he has this reputation for making weird, messed up surreal violent horror films, but really his work spans many, many different genres. he's one of the most prolific directors around, its just his "weird" stuff that gets exported most.

i really wanna get my hands on a TV series he did called MPD Psycho about a detective with multiple personality disorder (if miike: lynch then MPD psycho: twin peaks) has anyone seen it?

13. Red Fox VII

Red Fox VII Member

I'm interested in seeing Itchi the Killer. I don't think I'd be down with the rape but martial art violence is alright by me.

14. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

13 Assassins was fire