Table Mountain Ranch ... interesting read

Discussion in 'The Media' started by Duncan, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The Last Glimpses of California's Vanishing Hippie Utopias

"There was an aphorism in the movement: “Bad roads make good communes.” And the road we're on today is bad. Several miles inland from California's foggy coastline, we're driving down a single lane hemmed in by 50-foot fir trees and then turn onto a rocky dirt path, joggling our rented SUV. Photographer Michael Schmelling and I are in Mendocino County, about a three-hour drive north of San Francisco, looking for what remains of perhaps the most famous of the hundreds of rural communes established across Northern California in the late '60s and '70s: Table Mountain Ranch." from GQ Magazine

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2021
    FritzDaKatx2 and ~Zen~ like this.
  2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

"Half a century ago, a legion of idealists dropped out of society and went back to the land, creating a patchwork of utopian communes across Northern California. Here, the last of those rogue souls offer a glimpse of their otherworldly residences—and the tail end of a grand social experiment."

Capture.JPG

I know this shack in the woods, I have visited the Nonagon Commune in Humboldt, the Black Oak Ranch on Highway 101 where Wavy Gravy has his camp for disabled children, and of course Walker Ranch further south. Many communes existed for decades until locals pressured them out.

Many of the organizers and movers have passed.

Another abandonded dome home:
    Capture.JPG

It is eerie to see this images as I remember when they were filled with vibrant life and happy hippies doing their thing, which by the way was developing some of the finest strains of cannabis every created. Things like Sour Diesel, The Purps, and any crosses with Sativa and Indica. They all go back to the Hippies in NorCal who traveled the world and brought seeds back from far flung places such as India and Afghanistan.

I thank them for their service to humanity.

FritzDaKatx2 and Tyrsonswood like this.