Synthetarianism

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by walsh, Sep 22, 2011.

1. walsh

walsh Senior Member

All life is sacred, not just animals. Why should I be a vegetarian or a vegan, when carrots are just as alive and precious as a cow or chicken? Animals aren't any more important than vegetables - both are life.

I therefore propose a new diet - synthetarian. You can only eat synthetic foods, nothing that is alive or has ever been alive.

Who wants to join me?

2. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Sorry, no can do. I actually like real food.

3. Perilless

Perilless Member

Joking though I'm sure you were, that sounds horrific.
    Why not a diet that doesn't directly lead to the death of anything? Eating an apple doesnt kill the tree etc etc.
    I think they call that fruitarian....
    Also I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say animals are more important than vegetables, in fact probably the opposite. However, animals have the ability to feel extreme pain and discomfort often on a very similar level to ourselves, while vegetables do not.

4. walsh

walsh Senior Member

This is such a dumb argument. Pain is just a defence mechanism of the organism. It helps us stay alive. Some organisms have it, others don't. We sympathise with the ones with the same mechanism as us, while killing the other ones and at the same time preaching non-violence and anti-killing.

Vegetarians won't take this diet because they wouldn't be able to get over the fact they are 'hurting' any living thing they eat. They're all into their 'natural' way of life, which is all too comfortable and convenient for them to actually change to prevent unnecessary killing by eating stuff that isn't tasty. Deep down they're just food connoisseurs like their omnivore rivals.

I think this will be the diet of the future. Maybe in 200 years.

5. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Why do so many people go fishing?

Because the fish don't scream .... no matter how much you torture them.

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

And after the torture...they throw the animals back...so they live to be caught again. This is "sport."
    Fish terrorists.

7. drumminmama

And, many, most vegetarians understand we take life. The point is to eat lower on the food chain.

I suggest those who think the poor vegetables are suffering apply that UP, to sentient life forms (defined as an organism with a central nervous system). And quit eating things with faces.

8. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

9. drumminmama

I highly suggest not eating that particular carrot.
    Sell it to a freakshow.
    :)