swing dresses...

Discussion in 'Clothes' started by FunkyPhreshMama, Apr 7, 2007.

1. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

Ok so I need a break from the same old stuff I have been making...

Today I am gonna go pattern hunting for a nice halter style swing dress patterns...

I wanna make dresses "I Love Lucy" style with the frilly petticoats and all for spring and summer, with my own twist of course.

I have fabric with strawberries to make one with and then some other fabric with ice cream and cupcakes =)

I also want to make a few plain black ones and make a skull and crossbones stencil and get some funky pink paint and put skulls on it =)

I havent tryed to make any yet, I keep looking at my fabric but havent gotten a pattern and I dont think I want to ruin the fabric by just sewing it freehand =) like I normally sew everything HEHE

I wanna make some "poodle" skirts too, but with skulls instead of poodles =) YAY

2. psychedelicgirl

psychedelicgirl Member

that sounds really cool!! (especially your poodle skirt idea, hahahaha)

be sure to post some pics when you finish!

3. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

Yes!! I loooooveloevlove those kinds of dresses. those are my next project too! I found a bunch of patterns from the 40's/50's at a second hand store...the only thing that really sucks is that they're SO SMALL!!! (28-30 inch bust) I'll have to figure out a way to alter them but i've never done that before so i dont even know where to start and i dont want to ruin the patterns b ecause they are SO AWESOME!

4. come_do_drawrings

come_do_drawrings Jaime

That would be sweet to see... I love that kind of stuff

5. indian~summer

indian~summer yo ho & a bottle of yum

when you do it, i'd love to see
    i really want to make a halter type dress like that, or maybe one with a sweet heart neckline with poka dot fabric :D
    i love the 40s/50s style dresses :D

6. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

that is the same prob i have with vintage patterns, they all fit my 8 year old daughter HAHA =)

I havent started yet since I haven't been out and about to look for patterns and my grandma threw her pattern collection out a long time ago =( she had tons..........

right now I am trying to get some funky tattoo print fabric on ebay to accent the dresses with, so once I get the right fabrics I will post pics..... I may just have a go at it without a pattern with some fabric i have here that I don't particularly care if I mess up!!