Sweden Riots

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by acuarela, May 23, 2013.

1. acuarela

acuarela Member

2. odonII

odonII O

3. magic_rocks

magic_rocks ٱللهِ ٱلرّ

Hopefully, Albion doesn't get hurt :(

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Says the same thing on yahoo as it does there, the internet is awesome that way

5. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

You mean to tell me Sweden isn't perfect??

6. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Sweden riots: Cops seek reinforcements, US citizens warned

[​IMG]
    More cars set ablaze amidst 5 nights of rioting

Hotwater

7. hotwater

No the paint is a bit uneven [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hotwater

8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I wonder if this is a case of the swedes being completely xenophobic or of foreigners coming into a land known for its welfare state and getting pissed when they aren't handed a magical life ...or somewhere in between.

9. acuarela

acuarela Member

I've found perspectives often change from the inside to the outside. I'm always curious to know what the impression of the people closer to the issue is.

Cherea - at least we still have Norway.

Meliai - I'd think is a combination of both, but all I know is what has been posted here. I don't really pay much attention to the news, but I normally find out about stuff like this from people at work or people on Facebook. I get the impression most people here don't even know it's happening.

10. hotwater

The only news we want hear out of sweden is the who/ what/where on the next female tennis star, victoria’s secret model, or the lowdown on tiger woods next girlfriend :2thumbsup:

Hotwater

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think it's closer to the second. They just took in all kinds of immigrants apparently but now there is not much work and unlike some other countries who only take economic refugees in when they have some qualifications they got stuck with lots of people who are not qualified in anything. Sweden is apparently also a country that is really focussed on educated job applications so there is no change in sight for all those immigrants. This seems to be the main reason they got riled up. That and that it seems that the wellfare state isn't as good as it was so their situation sucks.

12. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

It might be a combination of the two. I met a Swedish girl a few months ago at a party who was telling me that immigration and in particular immigration from the Middle East has been on the rise of a long time now. There is a massive influx of immigrants from Middle Eastern countries who once in Sweden, do not work or contribute to society. (I don't know for certain if these people get government assistance or if they are classed as refugees), but it is causing a lot of resentment among native Swedes. People also feel that they can't talk or protest about this as they are instantly labelled 'racist' if they do so. Because they can't talk about these things openly, it is driving some underground movements to increase - such as some white supremacy groups.

13. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

And those stretch marks .... :D

14. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I think it's both, although I wouldn't classify it as xenophobia. Xenophobia implies unreasonable fear or hatred, and I don't think it's unreasonable to dislike a group of foreigners who are doing nothing to contribute to their new society - only there to soak up the benefits.