Supplements for vegetarians/vegans

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by pipgirl, Mar 2, 2013.

1. pipgirl

pipgirl Member

Hi guys, I've been trying to eat healthier for a while, and now I rarely eat meat anymore(maybe less than once a week). I don't have any cravings for meat anymore, which would make it very easy to become vegetarian.

I want to become vegan, but I'm concerned about getting all the necessary nutrients and vitamins.

Do you take supplements to ensure you stay healthy, or do you get it all from the food? If you take supplements what do you recommend? If not, do you have any tips on which foods can provide the necessary amount of calcium, iron etc?

Thank you

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

3. DrummingJoey

DrummingJoey Member

I don't take vitamins and I would say I'm pretty healthy.

4. pipgirl

pipgirl Member

Wow this is a pretty cool site, I didn't know it! Thanks!

5. pipgirl

pipgirl Member

How long have you been vegan? Do you have any tips on foods?

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

there is enough vitamins in a single bowl of total cereal.. that in fact 2 bowls in to much..

7. DrummingJoey

DrummingJoey Member

I have been vegan for about 6 years and I really don't have much in the way of tips. You generally know what's good for you. Eat lots of colorful fruits and vegetables and stay away from really sugary/salty foods.

8. drumminmama

Which is a cheap way to "just be sure."
    Pity I never liked total.

9. pipgirl

pipgirl Member

Update: I have in fact become vegan, I know it's only been 3 days but I'm really determined to continue this way. It's a lot healthier, and also I saw a horror documentary about animal cruelty. Very graphic but also very informative. It made me not want to touch animal products again.
    So far it's been quite easy, I eat a lot of fruits, I also eat a bowl of cereal and nuts as a post workout meal, and I'm learning new recipes for cooking :D. I'm also taking some vitamins now, until I learn to get my diet right.
    Thank you all for replying and new tips are always welcome :D

10. drumminmama

So, are you taking supplements at all?

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

lol me either.. :love:, I tend to stay with a Rice cereal fortified. As my previous comment stated: might be to much vitamins and minerals.. have to be observant

12. pipgirl

pipgirl Member

Yeah, I said I was taking some vitamins (vegan), it says 'vegan multivitamin & mineral. Food supplement'.

I'm not going to take these every day though. I'm still a bit confused but I'm learning new stuff every day. :) Mostly confused about the whole B12 thing..

13. pipgirl

pipgirl Member

Hello people, I just wanted to post an update.
    It's been 3 months, I've never felt better in my life, I am bursting with energy, I don't have headaches anymore, my digestion is perfect and so many other small changes like these.

I've learned so much and I'm sure there's still so much for me to learn. I haven't taken supplements. I will get a B12 test and only get B12 if I'm deficient.

And if anyone wants so learn more I highly recommend reading 'The China Study' and 'The 80/10/10 Diet' :D.

14. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

It was my understanding that a good vegetarian diet provides all the nutrition a human needs anyway, as we were always designed to have a plant based diet? Correct me if I am wrong.
    I think b12 might be the only issue.

15. pipgirl

pipgirl Member

Yes, we were definitely designed for a plant based diet. It's just that before, like the majority of the population, I thought we were natural omnivores. Which we are not. :D

And the B12 thing was something that kept me grounded in my beliefs for a while. I thought that B12 was a vegan issue. But it's not. I don't know how much you know about the B12 issue, because you didn't say. If you don't know much and are interested, I can explain more :D

16. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm interested in learning more about b12, as well as Omega 3 fatty acids.

17. pipgirl

pipgirl Member

Ok, let's see how well I can explain :D
    I was more interested in B12 because I thought you could only get it from meat, and therefore I didn't understand how we could be designed to be vegan if this 'diet' didn't give us all we needed.

First of all, I learned that B12 deficiencies are not limited to vegans or vegetarians.
    There are 2 sources that should provide the B12 we need:

1. B12 is the 'product' of a bacteria that is found in soil. Before, humans got B12 from fruits and veggies, that soaked the vitamin from the soil through their roots. The problem nowadays is that because of pesticides and other chemicals, the soils are more sterilized, and thus they no longer produce the bacteria. SOOOO nature did provide us with B12 on a vegan diet, but we destroyed it.

Another problem is that many people can't absorb the B12. There are many dietary factors that interfere with B12 absorbtion, but high fat diets are the most important one.
    This is why B12 deficiency is not only a problem for vegetarians or vegans. Many meat eaters eat enough B12 but can't absorb it due to an overall unhealthy diet. About 40% of Americans are B12 deficient, and obviously, only a very small part of them are vegan.

2. B12 is also produced in the intestine of HEALTHY humans. It regenerates and recycles itself.

Now I have to admit I don't know as much about omega 3, because I knew you could get it from plant foods as well. I know that flaxseeds and hempseeds are really good sources of omega 3, but there are so many foods that have omega 3, just in less quantities.
    I also know that one of the main problems with omega 3 is actually the omega 3- omega 6 ratio. An ideal ratio is 1:1, although even 1:4 is considered good. The problem is that we eat foods very high in omega 6 and the average ratio in western countries is about 1:15, which contributes to many diseases.
    I'm afraid I don't really know more about this right now. I found this article though: http://foodsforlonglife.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/omega-3-power-seeds-chia-hemp-and-flax.html

18. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Are you serious?

19. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

That is not true at all!! Where did you hear this?

Humans are omnivores.

20. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

There have been plenty of studies done on it, want me to reference them? I won't do it right now though, I have to go bed. :p