Super long hair--how long will dreads be?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by boek, Apr 1, 2007.

1. boek

boek Member

I haven't had a haircut in two years, so my hair is around two feet long (just measured it). I'm planning on getting dreads again, but when I had them before my hair was way shorter. Does anyone have a rough idea on how long my dreadies will be if I don't cut my hair prior to dreading?

2. lunatic_on_the_grass

lunatic_on_the_grass Member

mine didnt shrink all that much, but some peoples around here shrank huge! i think it may all depend on how tightly you backkcomb at first, or which ever method you choose. if you were to choose neglect i have noticed way more shirnking in dreads created that way. and how thick your hair is, people with thicker hair tend to have a problem with knots, but not if you embrace the knots. so really i dont have an answer, only thats its a trial kind of deal, and everyones slightly different .. good luck on your journey, its fun... as you already must know, going into your second head of dread.

3. boek

boek Member

I'm backcombing with no wax, my hair is pretty thick though.. hopefully everything will turn out fine :D

4. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

lunatic how long ya had ypours ya may still shrink a good bit

boekthey'll shrink b4 they grow..but then they just grow & grow & grow
    just keep in mind by the time theyre past your knees they'll be gettin heavy..

mines extremely thick started em at inches & now theyre 8 inches on the ground..you'll be fine..oh i went mostly neglect though..played with em lil bit but never heard of backcombing back then..this whole dread in a weekend things all new to me..lol

5. 3littlebirds

3littlebirds Member

I think the thinner your hair, the more it will shrink. Mine shrank a whole lot, and I have pretty thin hair. (it was about 8 inches past my shoulders before I dreaded...now some of them barely touch the top of my ears, and some are barely to my shoulders)

6. benotfree

benotfree Member

My hair was half way down my back and not they dont even tought my shoulders, so yes they are probably going to shrink drastically, mine lost a foot, I dreaded naturally

7. lunatic_on_the_grass

lunatic_on_the_grass Member

ive had mine just over 2 years soaring eagle.

8. Scorpius

Scorpius Member

yo soaring eagle im going natural =]

9. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

naturals the way to go

10. wildflowereyes

wildflowereyes Senior Member

mine only shrank an inch (i have some loose hairs, so its easy to measure lol). But it matters on the hair.
    I think it matters on the day too. sometimes i swear mine are shorter, and other days they are longer.