Summer of Love

Discussion in 'Books' started by TrancedelicBlues, Oct 20, 2004.

1. TrancedelicBlues

TrancedelicBlues Member

I'm new here, so my apologies to all if this book has been discussed before.

It's 1967, and Chiron Cat's Eye in Draco, time traveler from the year 2467, has just arrived in the Haight Ashbury on the eve of the Summer Solstice--the beginning of the Summer of Love.

Chi is a native San Franciscan from the 25th century on a mission to protect all of space and time. He must find the "axis"--a 14 year old runaway who will turn out to be the great-great grandmother of the first female president of the United States--and protect her from DEMONs--Devolved Entities Manifested from the Other Now. The Other Now is a nightmarish hell, and Chi must prevent it from becoming the future of humanity.

He soon finds that the Haight is filled with Indian Chiefs, reincarnations of Merlin, gurus, Pharoahs, and assorted other wondrous beings.

In an environment like that, a time travler from the 25th century doesn't make much of a splash...

This book was first published in 1994 by Bantam books. I don't know if it is still in print or not, but it is well worth seeking out. It is, quite simply, one of the best books i have ever read. :)

2. MEltingpOpsicle3

MEltingpOpsicle3 Member

sounds pretty groovy, and i like the title haha. thanks for posting it!!

3. SingflowerCat

SingflowerCat Member

Sounds like something in the Richard Bach genre... author of The Bridge Across Forever, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Illusions, One,

4. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

5. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

sounds like a whole lot of crap to me.

6. m6m

m6m Member

Yeh, truth is far stranger than make-believe.
    But it takes a true artistic eye to see it.

7. VWHippieBus

VWHippieBus Member

Did anyone read this book? I just started it and it's taking a while to get going but it seems good so far. Some parts are hard to understand though. If you read it, what do you think about this book?

8. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Threads merged... please, please, please... seach before posting.

9. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

"sounds like a load of crap to me"

~
    well, that's sorta like "sturgeon's law" :

as some gathering of scifi folks many moons ago, somebody complained to author theodore sturgeon that "85% of all this science fiction stuff is crap!" - to which sturgeon replied "85% of evewrythiing is crap"

henceforth to be known as "sturgeon's law"...