Stupid Dog Owners

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Aerianne, Jul 26, 2013.

1. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Yeah I wasn't faulting Ari for calling, just stating my point of view. I probably should have been more clear about that. I just don't like most cops, and certainly don't like asking them for help. And around here, they shoot the dog if it even moves toward them.

2. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

aeri---- no body meant someone calling the cops because of a dog ATTACKING.:sunny:

3. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Dev... what would you do if you saw a (big, scary, mean-looking) dog attacking a toddler and you didn't have a gun w you??

4. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Attack the dog..

If it's a pit, which seems to be the topic of conversation in this thread.. hold its head so it can't shake and pry his mouth open.

The thing about pits is that if they are attacking something, they get tunnel vision. They don't redirect aggression. Well, usually.

I wouldn't shoot it even if I had a gun. That's a pretty crazy situation that can change at any second, and I'm not firing a weapon anywhere even close to the vicinity of a toddler.

5. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

We have a dog living around our property that it's owners do not tie up, nor do they have adequate fencing. In addition they take it for walks without a leash. It got into our rubbish twice and we have seen it get into the rubbish on other properties as well. We called the council multiple times to complain and we advised that they have had issues with this dog before

A month ago it's owner was walking it down the path without a leash as usual and our cat was sitting outside, ON our property and the dog ran from the owner, onto our property and cornered our cat, who was terrified and began barking aggressively at her. The owner stood outside the property like a moron just repeatedly calling the dogs name. When I called out to her, asking why the dog wasn't on a leash she just totally ignored me and kept calling the dogs name until it finally ran off - only when my partner moved toward it to take it off our property.

We called up animal control who advised the owners would get a $200 fine, after they had been warned multiple times.

I really can't stand dogs, after being bitten badly by one when I was very small. If someone chooses to have one, I really feel that they AT LEAST need to have a fully fenced property and have the dog on a leash EVERY time it leaves the property. If they can't even meet those minimal requirements - why are they allowed pets at all?

Hope you and your daughter are OK. My best friend's niece was savagely mauled by a pitbull 1 or 2 weeks ago. The stress of the attack caused her epileptic father to suffer a massive seizure and he actually died. It's so tragic that these kind of things have to happen.

6. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

yea it's a tricky situation and that's why I asked really. I have to really think about that one. Obviously I'd try to help the toddler, but I don't know if I could stop a fully grown, dog that is aggressive.

7. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

That last story is so sad and so terrible. :( I'm very sorry to hear that!
    Do you know...where the dog's owner was?

8. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

Yeah, you can't risk yourself....don't think I'm criticizing....I would have called animal control from the safety of my home.

9. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

This is all really terrible.

I would like to add though, that walking a dog off leash isn't a problem if the dog comes back when it's called - immediately and every time and doesn't go to other people or their property.
    I know because we have a family dog that is usually off leash when we take her for a walk. She's trained and always comes back when called, doesn't care about other dogs, children, people, cats, bicycles, etc. If she wasn't like that, we would never have her off leash in an outside environment.
    I often meet other dog owners who's dogs aren't trained. The dog is running all around, the owner calling after it and looking pathetic and is then all apologetic about how there's nothing to worry about, since their dog is a 'good dog'...yeah, very well behaved, right :rolleyes:. There's obviously no way I can trust such a dog owner.

10. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Animal Control is closed at 11:30 at night. You have to call 911 for dog attacks after hours.

11. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Yeah, my dog is almost 4 and I've been walking her off leash since she was 8months.....without incident.

Well there was one incident where someone called animal control and told them I had a "vicious pit bull" off leash. My dog is a Bullmastiff. I happened to be outside with my dog (off leash) when animal control pulled up. They stepped out, asked me a few questions, pet my dog, cursed whoever called it in for wasting their time, and then left.

12. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

I am not sure, Trish. Obviously once the father died, I kind of focused on that - still concerned for the little girl of course, but the death of the dad became foremost in my mind. I will check, and find out.