Stupid Dog Owners

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Aerianne, Jul 26, 2013.

1. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yep!

My 2 and a half year old is a sweetie pie BUT... hahaha :D

He can be wild! All boy at times. My father in law has a black lab who's really nice but has lots of energy and likes to play... just like my son. They get on very well, but...I have to watch them. Cason doesn't understand that dogs can hurt him... he just likes them and likes to play with them. Will go running up to his dog...getting the dog to chase him and that excites the dog... so there they go...Cason running so the dog chases him n then Case jumping up onto the couch, the dog jumping on him... only the dog is much bigger and strong.. and lol.. last time the dog was right on top of him and Case ends up screaming "mommy! mommy! help help!" the dog wouldn't get off of him and he could barely breathe.. idk, it doesn't sound scary but it actually kinda was if you saw how excited and hyper this dog was... which Cason got it excited like that... But see that's my father in laws lab who is very nice..
    I'm terrified if Case acts like that to a dog who ISN'T as nice...
    just playing and a dog flips...

2. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Yes, AT...that is exactly what I'm talking about...how a child doesn't realize things, and we can't really expect an animal to be smarter than a human...even though sometimes they are. ;)

So very much goes back to the owners and how they raise the animal. But even then, when idiots just let their dogs loose to roam free there's no telling how the animals will act/react.

3. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

I am glad that all are OK Aerianne.

My dog Sundance (Sunny) and I were attacked by a Pit Bull in 2008. I live in an apartment building and had just come in from walking Sunny. We entered the hall and I was unlocking the door when a neighbor came in the other end of the hall with a dog. The dog took one look at us and started charging down the hall. I could not get the door open fast enough and the dog started attacking Sunny. I was screaming and the guy (building manager at the time) came down the hall to pull his dog off us.

He was pet sitting for his sister. Why he did not have the dog on a leash is beyond me.

I had to call the police, Sunny had to get stitches in his ear and face and I had to get a tetanus shot because I was bit as well. The guy ended up losing his job and would not give us his sister's name so that we could verify that the dog was up on his shots (rabies etc.)

This happened about three weeks before my Mom died and it was just a real bad time all around.

I still like all dogs though. It is the owners who make the difference. And some of them should be taken out and shot (the owners that is).

Glad you all are OK.

PS
    I have always had mixed breeds. I think they can make wonderful dogs. Sunny was a Chow/Shepherd mix and was one of the most gentle people and dog friendly dog that I have ever met. Toddlers used to run up to him and throw their arms around his neck. He was gentle with everyone.

4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Wow...that's terrible, Specs.

I say that about Chow's because I'm only repeating what an Animal Control officer told me when they had to come out and pick up a stray/aggressive one years ago.

Animal Control told us we had to "catch" that dog and they'd come get it. So we did manage to shut both ends of an empty chain link fence in a yard that was vacant at the time.

I watched the officer try to coax the dog with Gaines Burgers, etc. The dog would have no part of it. She finally had to corner the dog and get the loop out. That dog was flipping, hollering, and going crazy as she got it in the truck. That's when she told me that too much mixing of that breed had made them aggressive.

I really don't have any experience with Chow's myself.

5. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I take personal offense to this ignorant statement. All dogs are unpredictable if you don't understand their psychology and body language. No dog ever just snaps out of nowhere and attacks.

Except the part about the owners, that I agree with.

6. Aerianne

These dogs last night are in a new neighborhood and I guess they were trying to establish territory. They've only lived here for a week or 10 days.

Maybe they got off on the pack mentality with the two of them. IDK.

All I know is that my 5 grandchildren play outside and I hope they never turn those dogs out loose again.

I thought maybe it was just our dog that they were aggressive toward until I saw them doing the same thing to the police officer. We turned our heads away when he put his hand on his gun. We really thought it might end badly for those dogs.

7. deviate

deviate Senior Member

They should've shot the owners not the dogs. I can't stand irresponsible dog owners.

At least you have a dog that can take care of itself though, as far as that goes.

8. Aerianne

My dog ran!

She's just an 8 month old pup even though she's 62 lbs.

She hurt my daughter's wrist as she tried to hold on to her. Finally she had to let go because of the wrist, plus the dog was on the slip leash and she didn't want to choke her. I went out to help and the first thing I asked was where our dog was. She was in the driveway watching my daughter yelling at the dogs in the grass.

9. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

I can't stand neighbors like that. I have them too.. their dogs are not vicious, but they shit inmy front yard next to my steps, so every time we have to go out there with rubber gloves and throw the shit back into their yard. i tell my wife to throw it on the sidewalk in front of their steps or on their porch.. two big ass pit bulls can make a lot of shit and its abou to be chucked all on the front of their siding and windows if i am the one that has to go out there and clean it up. \

10. Aerianne

Animal Control will come out and talk to them about that, I'm pretty sure.

11. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Wow, that whole situation could have taken such a bad turn that it is scary. I am glad that you are all safe and hopefully they got the message about controlling their dogs.

I do not fault the dogs, it is owners who are at fault. Unfortunately the owners usually do not learn from these situations or they simply do not care about their dogs or the welfare of others.

After being around breeds for over 25 years, if there is a behaviour issue with a dog, look to the owner. In all that time there was only one dog that had to be euthanized at it had a temperament issue from birth. The dog was never adopted out and after a year of trying to work with it finally a decision had to be made as it was simply not trustworthy. It was sad.

12. Aerianne

Wow, Heather, I didn't know you worked with dogs! Cool!

13. Heat

My sister is a registered breeder. We have been doing dogs for over 25 years now. :)

14. Aerianne

Well, I learned something new about you today. :)

15. Heat

16. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Funny, I was going to make a thread about irresponsible dog owners.

Growing up we had, in order, a German Shepard, a three legged mutt, a mixed Collie, a registered German Shepard, and a registered Standard Poodle (and a cat).

That being said, I have no desire for anymore dogs and am now a cat person cohabiting with two and three quarters cats.

Dogs have to be disciplined, trained, and attended to, especially in an urban environment. Unfortunately most adults can't even discipline their own children let alone a dog.
    An untrained, undisciplined dog is a pain to everyone, no matter what size or breed it is, although some breeds are just obnoxious and others dangerous.

If a dog is not properly trained, including barking, it should be removed and the owners fined. IMO

BTW, the registered Shepard that we owned was given to us by an irresponsible owner who had trained it to attack cats and certain people. I have seen what a dog of that size can do to a cat and groundhogs, they do not stand a chance. As a boy of ten or so I retrained that dog to obey many standard commands and cured her of her destructive ways. But most people have no idea how to train a dog.
    I have also been bitten by a neighbor's dog, when young, and can attest to the violent nature of those attacks. Dogs often go for a kill and can be extremely fast and vicious.

17. Aerianne

You're so right, Meagain.

18. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

This probably is not the right thread for my post.

I have always loved dogs. When I was getting married in 1970 I knew that my partner did not like dogs. He had had a bad experience when he was a child. I did not think that I could live with someone who was afraid of dogs so for a wedding present I gave him a puppy.

We named the puppy Spectacles because he had circles around his eyes. We ended up calling him Specs for practical purposes. He was a wonderful dog and went everywhere with us. The marriage only lasted a few years but I always felt in the end that I did something right by giving him a good dog experience. The last time I saw him he had three 50-60 lb. dogs and was very happy with them.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Did you name your username after this dog too? =]

I don't own any of my own personal dogs anymore except for my big stuffed Rufus. My daddy used to show and train German Sheps for the police and Shutzhund kennel shows. We used to own a lot and even one in Australia but he died of cancer and I think daddy was too hurt to really want another one. There's a couple on my uncles property where I live but they aren't really mine.

20. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

I'm glad everything turned out alright for you, Aeri!

Some people should never own a dog...