Stuff to avoid and check out this summer

Discussion in 'Events and Festivals' started by jahpiper, Jan 24, 2005.

1. jahpiper

jahpiper Member

Considering that i feel like the proverbial insect in a 5 gallon bucket, in this place of livement of which i am currently residing, summertime is the one thing im really looking foward to. Now, Im stationed on the East, and this means I only really get to travel much during that time (because i attend community college).
    Ive experienced a bunch of summertime shows/tours/festys and i think i should toss out some suggestions to make others decisions easier.
    - STAY AWAY FROM Warren Haynes and all other kinds of "i have to be in every band during my career" musicians. By Draining the hell out of dead tour last summer, i think my tolerance for him faded. Id rather have Jimmy Herring because at least he knew how to play with an edge. I, Myself think that John Kadlecik of Dark Star Orchestra should sit in for Jerrybear, because his voice is almost exact and his guitarwork is phenomenal.
    - STAY AWAY FROM CUSTIE-ROO!.. Unless you like getting ripped off, having too many people around you (easy to get lost or lose your kids especially when spun), and not seeing anywhere near your moneys worth of music. I heard Superfly and AC productions sold the name to CLEARCHANNEL!! That which steals all of my money and kicks me out of shows. the EVIL behind that is profound. Boycott CustieRoo And Clearchannel. The money it takes to get there alone adds up like madness.
    - CHECK OUT SMALLER FESTIES! now if you have a tent, you dont need a hotelroom. tickets are usually under 100 if not under 50 (depending on how long). Dont be afraid to go to some with a majority of bands you dont know.I first heard Bomb Squad at secluded forest festival this year and it was soo tight. not to mention there was a discofunktent all night long (where kids were feeding everybody everything). it was such a family show, you never see that at custie-roo.
    The bands i follow : PHISHPHISHPHISH ( i will wait forever for the next show but i will be there within spitting distance for the first note), the dead, the disco biscuits, (check out ->) SOUNDTRIBE SECTOR 9!
    (if any of yall havent heard any STS9 Feel free to email me at soundofthestorm@mail.com and well set up a show trade. you need to hear this amazing music).
    well i feel like this is a good starting point for suggestions to make a summer a great one. Hope to bump into any of you wherever i go.
    PeaceHarmonyCompassionHopeLove
    Namaste

2. MossIcon

MossIcon Member

Agreed on Warren Haynes.

3. Yeah Warren is a music slut. Can't stop just gotta keep on rocking. Problem is his own band Gov't Mule isn't even that good! He's too busy playing in other people's bands to get his groove on with his own band.
    Definetely not going to the roo to commercialized, and now they are adding all these people I have never heard of, and shouldn't be at bonnaroo in the first place.
    Are the going for a bad reputation like woodstock 99'?? The people that are attending the Roo now never have been to an event like that and don't realize it's all about survival. I worried that more people will die this year.
    I'm also going to the smaller fests, Jerry's B-day Bash at Sunshine Daydream, and maybe All Good.

4. humandraydel

humandraydel Member

I gotta agree on letting john sit in for jerry! Sometimes the sound of his voice is astonishingly close to jerry.

Actually, i pretty much agree with everything you said. No 'roo for me this year. I'm spending that 200 bucks on 3 small festivals, probably all good, maybe 10,000 lakes and floydfest.

hope everyone has a happy festival season! i can't wait!

humandraydel

5. LaughinEyes024

LaughinEyes024 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I just agree. That is all.

6. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

warren haynes is an awesome musician....I wonder if thats part of the reason he plays with so many people?

7. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

Warren is great and I don't mind so much he's a music slut. gotta give it to him for playing so much.

I'm afraid more people will die at 'roo this year too. I mean let's all be honest. If you want drugs, make a shopping list, go out to the campsites and shop away. A lot of people have never been in that position and take it too far too quick. even us veterans need a reminder to use in moderation, drink plenty of water, don't mix a lot of shit and TELL someone if things just aren't right. They have medical tents all over the place that will help you with out turning you over to the cops. Drugs can make things a lot of fun, but you have to be careful. Keep safe!

8. jahpiper

jahpiper Member

Woop Woop
    totally feelin the vibe that bonnaroo is gonna turn into a bunch of kids tweaking out on shit they couldnt even imagine, going crazy and smashing stuff. By booking bands that dont belong there, (that suck and play the same version of the song live as they do on the album), you are naturally going to have this influx of mindless adolescents who want to experience WOODSTOCK! America turned woodstock into a battleground they can do the same with custieroo. I feel betrayed by the production companies. Its almost like they cut off and stole my (spiritual) dreads when i was sleeping to sell them on the black market. I can eat a whole strip and pretend im at a festy better then custieroo!
    Totally agreeing with Headymoechick on custies not being able to handle the accessability to goodies. Even if they know to be precautious in attaining them, they can still miss out on info like...
    -alcohol and molly are a no no. (especially in summertime)
    -if youve never had the batch before, one at a time for the L (always)
    -pharmies are primarily opiates (heroin is bad, ruins music)
    -Microdots are synthetic analogs of mescal, not L
    -SIT DOWN if you enjoy the hippiecrack
    and all other tidbits of really important information unacknowledged in the mind of the custie or the visitor.
    What it all boils down to is Know to Take Care Of Your Family!! There are alot who still keep it real. good people find good people. without the people there would be no show. trust in positivity eternally, and youll know what freedom is.

9. Clear Channel does not own Bonnaroo. Clear Channel owns the right to burn shows right after a concert. I think that is where everyone gets the clear channel owning/buying Bonnaroo thing from. Bonnaroo does provide a map when you pull in. Take advantage of it. Get yourself acquainted with the festival grounds before you get all spun. I think I got my moneys worth out of Bonnaroo. I got to see so many bands that I would not have otherwise had the chance to see. I fell in love with moe. Bonnaroo's first year. I got to see Patti Smith, The Flaming Lips, My Morning Jacket, David Byrne, and Femi Kuti. All acts that I probably would not have went to see by themselves.

10. headymoechick

yes jahpiper!!! Sit down if you're gonna suck down a balloon! I've seen SO MANY kids smash their face trying to be superman. while funny at times, the blood and screaming and commotion once they come to isn't good for the tank business.

maybe we should start a thead on what to do and not to do at festivals for people who haven't been there before. We call them custie bastards but what we really should do is take the youngin's under out wing and teach them the ropes!

11. dazed_confused817

dazed_confused817 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

all awesome advice. just curious. what's anyone thing of gathering of the vibes? i think bonnaroo has gotten too big for it's bridges and people are going who then cause trouble. rather spend my money elsewhere

12. Doran

Doran Member

I dont care what you people say im going to roo this year. Im not going to get screwed up on drugs ive never done, im going for the music, and the vibe me and my friends will be giving off. Im sick and tired of ever person on these forums dogging roo. Sure there more commercialized than last year, but Its YOU people that have this is another woodstock 99 attitude that are letting roo down. I dont give a shit if everyone is causing mahem around me, im paying to see Umprees, Karl Densons, Govt' Mule, Allman Brothers, My Morning Jacket, Panic, and yes even DMB.

13. headymoechick

why don't you just go and not worry about what anyone else thinks?

14. I think it is cute that teenagers are talking about teaching youngins [​IMG]

15. superNova

superNova Member

agreed on warren haynes. i got so bored at the dead show i went to because it just seemed like it was warren-haynes-fest. same with allman brothers. and gov't mule sucks. imo. :)

and bonnaroo just seems like something you go to so you can get the shirt and tell everyone you went.

16. headymoechick

the first time I did a whole tour was when I was 16. I'm almost 19 and I've had great opportunity to see lots of bands play. I think I have the right to give out a few tips. Just trying to be helpful to the newbies instead of being a jerk like most people.

it's not nice to be condescending.

17. imaflake

imaflake Member

Hey guys. I am one of the new kids goin to roo. You guys kinda scare me cause I got the vibe off my friends who have been that it is a fun peaceful time. I don't do drugs but I don't care about other people doin them. I am kinda naive when it comes to stuff like that though and I got scared because another friend told me people put acid in their hand and shake yours and it absorbs into your bloodstream. He also told me there will be needles everywhere and to watch where I step. Is there any merit to this or is it all garbage. Also, what is this about survival?

18. headymoechick

no one wastes that much acid to stick it on their hand and just dose people they don't know/ people not asking for it.

there aren't needles everywhere. I've never seen 1 on the ground in all 3 years. Are they there? sure, but not everywhere you step. most people go barefoot just fine.

if you don't do drugs and don't care about tons of wacked out people around you you have nothing to worry about in that area.

when it comes to survival just remember to bring a tent, sneakers or sandels, and be prepared to WALK!! Last year the camp grounds were so big the people farthest out had to walk about 2 -3 hours (depending on how fast you walk, if you get distracted. ect) to get to the music stages. Bring healthy food that won't spoil and plenty of WATER!!! bring clothes for hot/cold weather -you never know. and be sure you don't leave anything out to get stolen. nothing of value anyway.

it can be a really fun/peaceful time. I really hope your experience is awesome.

19. mm....advice for kiddies to go on tour with.

1) Be prepared, think of all possible situations.

a)This means make sure you have enough money in advance to get your car the whole way through, so you dont get stranded somewhere.

b)If its a show where tickets might sell out, get them in advance, I cant tell you how frustrating it is to drive for 7+ hours somewhere, only to not be able to get in to the show.

c)If you are going to drive around with drugs, or be distributing drugs, be very careful, as undercovers do exist. Obey all traffic laws, this includes the speed limit!

d)Plan on things not working out exactely as planned, and make contingency plasn for all possible scenarios. This means bring extra food, bring warm clothes, summer clothes, sleeping bags/tents (even if you plan to sleep in hotels)

e)Be resourceful: More often then not there is an easier/cheaper way to get something done then the most common route, so just keep that in mind.

I will post more later, gotta go to class now, good luck.

moe. tour is where it is at, btw...best live act at the moment!

20. superNova

superNova Member

i'll second that! :)