Study room decor ideas

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Lilyrayne, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

I would like to decorate the room the computer is in and make it study-friendly. I've already cleaned it up as much as I can, but it still doesn't seem very peaceful. What are some ideas I can do to decorate it and make it more inviting and warm and relaxing? I want as little clutter as possible though.

Even painting ideas are welcome although I doubt I am going to be able to actually repaint the room (I wish tho!)

2. bellystar

bellystar Member

Plants!!!!!! :)

3. gertie

gertie Senior Member

i have a small fountain.

4. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Hmm plants and fountains, I like! I actually have a desktop fountain I could use. I hadn't even thought of plants. I could set up plants, and candles everywhere.

I covered my bookcase with a curtain that I made out of tie-dye bandanas, to cover the clutter. My next task is to buy some funky fabric and make curtains for the windows out of it. This room is really starting to take shape!

5. Hippievixen

Hippievixen Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm with Bellystar, plants really spruce up a place!

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

bree could you sponge one wall a relaxing color?
    maybe a watery blue green?
    also pasting (as in flour paste) jute/burlap will give a texture alone or under paint (again that could be one wall.)
    scent can be important. Lemon will invigorate and mentally sharpen a person (we used it on deadline days at the Scout)
    Even using lemon oil to wax the furniture will help.
    Be sure and get natural spectrum bulbs (Akins on 63rd /OKC) and have enough light, perhaps in different locations.

7. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Thanks!! Yeah I could paint .. in fact I want to repaint the ENTIRE Room in a really funky "me" way but that's a big task so I will just have to stick with "easy" stuff for now. I thought about sponging on shapes or something maybe. I hadn't thought of the lightbulb thing.. good idea.

8. urbangal

urbangal Member

Bree, you might even wanna use small shelves to place little knicknacks (also a great way to free up floor space for something else). IKEA has a nice choice or you can make your own with just a 2x2, some brackets (painted a fun color) and voila'! Instant 'you' space.
    I like tapetries, posters, or writing on the wall. Paint squares, circles, symbols or use decoupage or stencil to add a personal touch.

urby

9. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Plants! If you're painting, go for a light blue or yellow, something that will make you feel relaxed. Blue is good for calming and logic, purple is for creativity, yellow is for happiness and smarts, green is for prosperity and smarts, pink is for coziness, white is crisp and clean.

Put up pretty framed photos or paintings of landscapes/nature, have a fountain, keep some essential oils in the drawer or on a shelf (again, for relaxation). Againb, art is a great thing to have in a study! It can spark your imaginationa nd creativity, or calm you down a bit if you take a break to look at it. Don't forget to feng shui!

10. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Ikea has plenty of shelving units of all sorts, I would start there.

Also, go through thrift stores and your own closet for material... a few patchwork curtains to hang infront of windows and shelves is an inexpensive and colourful way to decorate the room.