Stuck in the past musically

Discussion in 'Music' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jul 22, 2009.

1. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Now I remember why I put you on Ignore. Thanks.

2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

So you're going to put me on ignore a second time for not agreeing with you?

Cool.

Irminsul likes this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I can't see why anyone would block you lol.
    Me, yeah sure, I'm a complete pain in the ass. But not you.

Asmodean and guerillabedlam like this.
  4. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

One of my favorite songs. Certain Dylan still gives me chills, doesn't seem to matter how many times I listen to them.

That being said, I like it all. Ain't much music I hate. The new stuff is pretty catchy, and some of it is pretty damn good.

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i listen to the stuff i grew up with because those were my best years (late eighties early nineties)

even in my dreams myself and my friends are still all teenagers

i wish i could go back...but second best is just remembering and music helps me do that...so many songs are attached to memories

take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty ;)

6. Noserider

EDIT: Weird double post situation.

7. Noserider

Why was my post deleted? Meanwhile the above lives on?

8. Noserider

Some weirdness going on with double posts and post deletion, so let me paraphrase what I said before:

Thanks, Irm. You're sweet. But I don't think you're a pain in the ass, and, evidently, there are people who think I am.

I should apologize then. My comment was more a backlash against what I perceive to be an attack on my generation by the generations that came before. The average person hears, like, 5% of all music out there, 4.5% of which is their favorite stuff and from their generation. But they then they make assumptions about the rest of all music in creation and the people who listen to said music based on that remaining .5% and pass it off as fact because they like The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin and are thereby music "experts." I find it to be, not only narrow-minded, but also elitist and insulting. Offensive even. Truthfully, I have nothing against Mr. Tambourine man. I don't listen to it, but I don't have a problem with it.

I just wish people would stop acting like the last good music was made sometime before 1990, and acknowledge that, while they lack the cultural understanding to appreciate more recent music, that doesn't mean all music they don't like is garbage. Stop telling me everything I like sucks; you're essentially saying I have no taste because I am too stupid to appreciate good music.

Asmodean and Irminsul like this.
  9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Lol thanks. But nah I know I'm a pain in the ass because I have my fathers sense of humour and he's a pain in the ass, and I'm fine with that BTW because I've always said I don't need anyone telling me I'm a pain in the ass or a problem person as I see myself as a strong individual character and if anyone's going to be a problem or a pain in the ass, it's gonna be ME! :D

10. Noserider

See, I don't see you as a pain in the ass. I see you as goofy, fun loving and an individual, which is how I see myself. There are nothing wrong with those traits, but they are going to offend certain people. Way the world goes.

Strong and independent women who don't play by the rules eventually rub someone the wrong way. But I mean no ill will toward anyone. If people dislike me for me being me, despite me not disliking them, there's nothing I can do about that. The waves will still crash on the shore, Golden Road will still brew IPAs, the Boston Celtics will continue to exist--I'm good. What more can anyone ask for than to be good, bruh?

Irminsul likes this.
  11. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Tastes are tastes, not much you can do about it. And it's generational. Most people stick with music they grew up with. And times change. Look at what was originally called Rhythm & Blues. Today they put totally different stuff under R&B.

12. Noserider

Fair enough. When I hear the term "R&B" I think TLC and Lauryn Hill

13. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

How about Cab Calloway? :D

14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Many genres of today have bands that retain elements from previous generations. I know I've heard some recent R&B that is more like R&B of the 60's, I couldn't give you names off the top of my head...it's not a type of music I listen to often. But here is an instance in rock where there is a bit of overlap amongst generations.... :D

15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Here is some r&b modern stuff...

16. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I remember passionately discussing this stuff (on here) ten years ago

17. Asmodean

Come on. Are they all guilty pleasures? :D

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Ok, this is going to sound really gay.

But for the last two years at least, just really only been listening to Rhianna, Sia and Ariana.

19. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Impressive, never heard of these guys. Nice find.

A while back I listened to Count Raven and thought the singer sounded just like Ozzy.

20. Asmodean

@VG Hahahaaa!

Jk man ;) If you enjoy it :) I maybe thought though it could be some new groovy rock. Recall a thread where you asked for good new (hard) rock. I of course posted a shitload of stoner rock (which does contains some of the grooviest stuff of this millennium)