Stop the Russian Troll Farms!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by skip, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

13 Russians were just indicted for interferring with the US electoral process

You guys know this is real right, it isnt some left wing conspiracy theory.

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

You don't believe there are Russian bots?

RUSSIAN BOTS ARE USING 2016 TACTICS TO HIJACK THE GUN DEBATE ON TWITTER

3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I must admit, I was employed as a Russian troll here on Hip Forums during the US 2017 presidential election. I'm sorry if I helped to screw things up for you guys, it's just that Hillary reminded me of my Mum.

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

You're in your own parallel universe--on the never-ending cruise up Africa's longest river. The weight of the evidence suggests there really are Russian trolls, regardless of what Alex Jones and RT tell you.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Toker, scratcho and unfocusedanakin like this.
  5. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

*In my best Russian accent*

Eh-hem

"Yes, it was I who spiked Hillary Clinton's iced coffee, causing her to short-circuit and suffered coughing episodes. Leading her to pass out and be thrown in the back of a van. I then phished John Podesta and sexted Anthony Weiner, so I could order Wikileaks and the FBI to do my dirty work. It was I who also staged the behind-the-scenes Project Veritas videos of CNN. It was also I who stole the election from Bernie Sanders. What else? Oh yes; and I have an cyber army of trolls flooding social media promoting the 2nd amendment, even though here in Mother Russia we cannot own hand guns or semiautomatic weapons.”

Orison likes this.
  6. MeAgain

6 eye I used to have respect for your posts.

scratcho and Tyrsonswood like this.
  7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Don't the indictments prove that there is a Russian troll farm? I'm wondering what they're after too, as far as promoting the second amendment, but I think they really are.

It's insidious. It could be that they do that because they know it bothers people. They want to sew discord from what I understand.

Toker likes this.
  8. deleted

deleted Visitor

Wow a whole 13 that took the lives of 17 school students. Great Job FBI..

9. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

It took less than 13 Russians to make me not vote for Hillary.

Orison likes this.
  10. skip

skip Founder Administrator

The Russian bots only repeated what actual employees of the Russian Internet Research Agency, wrote. And they had to follow detailed instructions when posting, including never posting the same sentences twice, no interaction with friends or having them retweet, strict time schedules, etc. They had to post up stories about pets, food they ate, etc, to make them look like normal posters before they got political. They had to do everything an American would. BTW, I've noticed exactly this behavior by some trolls on HF in the past. I don't believe bots are subject to such restrictions...

They couldn't do it without real people pretending to be Americans.
    And once you REALIZE how much B.S. went around last election that was NOT POSTED by Americans, you might want to rethink if Americans are the sole cause of the division, or whether that division has been exploited not just by the Republicans (who divide us anyway they can - Dems try to UNITE, BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE that ppl should learn.), but also by foreign agents at the direction of a hostile gov't.

I should also point out that I witnessed quite a few ads and stories that were obviously the result of these Russian Troll Farms on various news sites. So it wasn't just FB and Twitter as ppl seem to think. They were buying ads everywhere! The most outrageous ads and made up stories came from the Russians...

Hell, I even got caught up in it when I promoted RT News here on HF. I was amused by the Americans pushing Russian propaganda (to an extent). I thought the Russian propaganda machine was in full view for all to see. And yes, they cut down Hilary every chance they got, and rarely ever mentioned Trump, and always in a good light. Instead they focused on what was wrong with American society (lots of truth there!), but the Russian spin was always there and the overall effect was to make the viewer angry by pressing their buttons...

Remember media that pushes your emotional buttons is often propaganda. Always consider the source.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    scratcho, snowtiggernd and Asmodean like this.
  11. MeAgain

Toker likes this.
  12. deleted

deleted Visitor

IF the Russians really wanted to fuck over the USA.. Hillary would've won by a landslide..

pineapple08 and SpacemanSpiff like this.
  13. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Muellers wrong then?

14. MeAgain

Of course. He's just making this up because the Democrats lost the presidential election even though he's a Republican and was appointed FBI director under Bush II and was appointed to lead the investigation by Rod Rosentein, another Republican and another Bush appointee.

Toker and scratcho like this.
  15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I haven't been able to take him seriously on topical politics and social issues for awhile unfortunately.
    I really hope he is just very bored and/or 'just' playing devils advocate.

16. Asmodean

That would give them a righteous reason to take things a step further and more openly. More pointless antagonizing with perhaps serious negative consequences.
    And of course your whole country would be steeping down to their pitiful and backwards level. It's better to not go there. I'm not saying this shit should be without consequences, but a nation can retaliate in different ways.
    Besides, you're not the only nation hassled by russian trolls, bots and hackers (which, for the doubters, are now undeniably clear government steered). I think we will team up on this.

What are they threatening with? I thought its all done in secrecy. Its more like they have the cyber low ground :p
    As several parts of the world continue to progress on scientific and technological advancements in cyber space I don't think they have or will get a superior position there.
    What's the real reason they do this? Because they're so powerful on the world stage? No, they're desperate to get there, and it seems they figured out its easier to weaken other countries than actually achieve that position by working themselves up.

17. MeAgain

What I meant was the Russians are using cyber warfare to threaten the stability of things such as the free press and the ability of society to believe in its own institutions.
    By spreading propaganda and misinformation via the net they are blurring the lines between fact and fiction and directly influencing the thought processes of many individuals.

I'm not saying they are more technologically advanced, but they are using the technology in a more advanced way to get their aims.

18. Asmodean

I agree. They're very clever in their dishonesty.

19. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think the important thing to realize is that in order for this indictment to stick, Mueller has to prove intent.

13 Russians indicted for interfering with election to help Trump

20. MeAgain

Agreed, but I don't see how he can't find intent as Trump publicly asked the Russians to hack Clinton's system.

Not to mention the secret Russian meeting in Trump tower to get dirt on Clinton from the Russians.