Stop rape!

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by JavaJade, Jun 20, 2006.

1. JavaJade

JavaJade Member

I think the whole abortion issue is constantly being debated because of the whole rape issue. So, would it make sense to make efforts in order to stop rape before we stop abortion? Sure it's a long shot, but to me it makes sense. There would no longer be a reason to abort babies.

Any thoughts?

2. mr.morrison

mr.morrison Senior Member

the only way for girls to stop rape is to put a metal bear trap in your vagina. and it shuts if entered by a dick. but thats just plain frightening.

3. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

um, abortion is legal!

4. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

The most predominant pro-abortion argument is freedom of choice...the possibility of a rape-induced pregnancy is just a factor of that larger argument.

5. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

there are many other reasons for abortions

and if it were so easy to stop rape just by saying it, we would've long ago

6. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

As many have noted, stopping rape is an admirable, but unlikely goal.

The rape argument about abortion bothers me for a couple of reasons. The first is that an exemption for rape implies that the zygote (I don't want to use "child") of a rapist is inferior to other zygotes.

My other bother-ment is that it dodges one of the main arguments for the legalitiy of abortion. With modern technology, anti-abortion laws are the state's attempt to control women's choices for reproduction. Those behind the attempt to control (other) women's reproduction are also eager to control other aspects of people's lives. Those control freaks need to be disappointed.

It sounds like you think that rape is the main reason for abortion. That is not the case. Does anyone have links to figures about the reasons that women seek abortions?

7. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

I think it's more an issue of the woman not wanting to be impregnated with the zygote of the man who raped her...and on a non-technical side I have no scientific evidence to back, I'd say that the genetic material of a rapist -is- inferior to the genetic material of someone who isn't a piece of crap/rapist.
    Again, no scientific evidence to back that up, and I'm sure someone will say "BUT IT'S THE UPBRINGING..." and so forth anyway....
    But if you're a lady, and you have two options to impregnate you, and they are completely identical in every way somehow...except that one is a rapist and one isn't. Whose man-goo would you want festering inside of you?

8. MikeE

You misunderstand me. I would oppose a law that forbids abortion except in the case of rape. If a rape victims feelings are the reason for the exception, what justifies disregarding the feelings of non-rape victims? All arguments for anti-abortion laws are based on the notion of zygote rights. I don't see that a rapist's zygote should have different rights from a horny 16 year old's zygote.

9. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

I would take a chance and say most, or at least a huge chunk of abortions stem from inadequate sex education

particularly in North America, land of "abstinence-only" education in a lot of schools
    terrifying

10. MikeE

What? :eek: Abstinence doesn't work?:eek:

Do you mean that those nice young people who attend the lecture still go out and....well.....you know....do IT?

Oh dear....

Somebody better tell those kids that there are ways to keep from being parents until they are ready. Some of those methods even help keep them from getting nasty diseases.

11. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

People have abortions for a number of reasons, not just bcause of rape... where are you trying to go with this? They are in essense, two very separate issues.

12. Bellfire01

Bellfire01 I'll say anything

Let me say this: Rape is a crime that is misunderstood by some people. It's a crime that can be committed by ladies men and even children. Let's talk about man on lady rape. His crime is out there because there are common misconceptions that allow for people to think a certain way that's not in the best interest of the victim.

A girl matures faster than a boy. (True but not in the way people think.) A girl is prone to make better decisions because parents tend to be more demanding of her. She can't stay out as late and do the things a boy her age could do because of the way society is set up and it's really sad. Once a girl develops breast then she's considered (almost an adult in society) I once heard a reporter interviewing an officer. The two talked about rape of a girl vs. rape of a boy; this is what he said: When a girl is raped (Girl meaning under 18 *probably 13-15* it's not such a big deal because they were probably going to have sex in a few years anyway. (Not word for word but the language is 90% the same.) Now you think about that mentality and how destructive a thought like that can be on an innocent girl coupled with environment and the way people general think of a girl's role in society and you have a real can of worms. Let me tell you something: Just because a 13 year old girls as a shapely body, big breasts and winks at you doesn't mean she's equipped mentally or physically to handle a sexual relationship. That ladies mature faster than guys is a load of crap when it comes to relationships and that's why I get so mad when people say a 14 year old girl dating a 17 year old guy isn't really bad. It's terrible. There are probably 10% of girls that can handle it and the rest get caught up in a crapshoot. Why would a grown man want a teen girl? Answer: A. He's not mature enough to establish adult relationships so he finds someone on his level of thinking. B. He wants someone he can control and dominate. C. He genuinely loves her and feels she can handle the situation and even looks to her for guidance. C. Sounds the best but is just as dangerous as A and B. Let’s talk a little bit about adult rape. When a man rapes a lady it’s not for sex it’s for control. It’s a release of anger a show of force and means of dominance and control. Just because a lady comes to your house doesn’t mean she wants you sexually and I don’t care what time she come either. Just because you are married to a lady that doesn’t mean you own her and sex isn’t your right. Just because a lady wears clothes that make her look sexy and make you aroused doesn’t mean you have a right to tough her in anyway but society doesn’t always see it that way and unfortunately that’s why there is such a problem. The crap about how a lady dresses isn’t a consideration in most rapes but it’s a favorite excuse amongst the people trying to explain why he’s innocent. Well I ate enough space but I hope this makes sense.

13. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

paragraphs , please

14. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Stopping rape is a very admirable goal.

Part of a good solution is more money in schools and child protection services for this kind of thing. It's certainly not a silver bullet, but it will help as people with no oppurtunities are more likely to commit many types of violent crimes.

More womens protection services would help a lot too, because someone that is victimized is likely to be victimised to.

Abortion is a very distinct issue.

Ever read freakonomics? theres pretty good evidence to show drops in violent crimes (including rape) in states where abortion was previously banned since Roe vs Wade, as less children would be born into harsh circumastances.

15. Bellfire01

Bellfire01 I'll say anything

Why? Your'e not going to read it anyway.

16. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

better retro?

17. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Oh, are you talking about the study that showed that where abortion is more easily attainable, there are lower crime rates in the "offspring" of the generation that was allowed legal abortion?

It may be true. Many minorities and low income people thought they were somehow being chosen for "genocide" because one of the findings of the study suggested that people who are of the classes and backgrounds who have the most abortions are also those who commit the most crimes. and that these "future criminals" were aborted before they could start a life of crime. But abortion is not forced in our society, It is chosen, and also common in ALL socioeconomic groups, so that complaint about the study can't be true. It is, still, a very controversial study.

18. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

That said, only a small % of abortions are due to rape, so although I would LOVE to see rape eliminated, I don't think this would make any statistical effect on abortion numbers.

Also, womyn who report rapes are almost always offered Plan B, the "morning after drug" to prevent ovulation and implantation from the rapist, so this lowers the rape/abortion rates even more.

19. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

plus a lot of rape is part of domestic violence, for example spouses, and in that case, if the women is not reporting, she's probably also not aborting a pregnancy.

20. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Yeah, that one in particular.

I'm certianly not advocating abortion. I support it when the woman makes the choice however.

But I was simply saying that there may be, as the study point out, benifits to abortion too, such as less women having to struggle through children that they couldn't support.

Abortion does happen amongst all classes, although I was under the impression that it was more prevelant amongst women who would otherwise have difficulty supporting a child.