Stop Eating your POO!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by CrAzYStaRR, May 10, 2004.

1. CrAzYStaRR

CrAzYStaRR Member

Ok, This is sick but....My dog will go poo in the middle of the night, and then he will eat it. This is really making me sick, and I am wondering if there is somthing wrong with him.
    I feed him all the time, so I know it's not that...
    Can anyone help?

2. DoDaMan

DoDaMan Member

Ask your vet for some ForBid. You sprinkle it on the dog's food and it is supposed to make them stop eating their poo. Works for some, not for others. It's worth a shot....

DoDaMan's wife, aka Dragonflyblue (I can't figure out how to log him out and log me in, so I'll just post under him for awhile!!!)

3. DoggoD

DoggoD Member

Mabe its not as bad as you think. Dog food is even better the second time around. Dont hack it till you try it.

4. veinglory

veinglory Member

You have a few options, one is to sprinkle the litter area with something a dog won't eat but will poop in (salt?), to train the dog to wait until morning, or to trying feeding a more natural diet in case the behaviour is due to a nutrient deficiency (either ground carcass or a good whole diet pellet from the vet).

5. CrAzYStaRR

CrAzYStaRR Member

ASTROCAT,

I feed my dog Purina Puppy Chow, do you think that is a crappy brand of food? Just wondering because if you know of somthing better, I will switch. That stuff isn't cheap, and if it is bad for him, I would rather switch.

6. veinglory

veinglory Member

I think Purina is a whole diet and so it should be fine. Another possibility is to give him something yummy as a distraction. Puppies have a very erratic sleeping pattern and so the wake up a lot. Maybe some rawhide or bones to chew on would ne a nicer 'alternative'.

7. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

hah, crappy food

8. StellaBlue

StellaBlue Senior Member

I no longer have dogs, but when I did we always fed them iams or science diet. It's the best on the market in my opinion. What we did to lessen the costs is give them table scraps as well. But you have to watch what you give your doggy. Lots of things we eat aren't healthy for a dog, hell, most of the time they aren't even healthy for us. Our doggies prefered green veggies, raw potatoes once in a while, good red meats (not hamburger and such) and also chicken (de-boned of course, please never give a doggy chicken bones). We'd mix some of these goodies in WITH their food so they knew they both came together. If you do this and encouter problems with them only wanting to eat the scraps refrain from giving them the scraps until all the dog food is gone. :)

9. Animaliberation

Animaliberation Member

Iams is bad, they test + do unethical things to animals. I will find some info to post later.

10. serra

serra tentacle girl

that's kinda gross! i had a dog once that would eat its own puke.... that was gross as well.

11. Harmony_rain

Harmony_rain Keeper of the Stars

really Iams is bad? I feed that to my cats they really like it and its one of the only cat food they make where the first ingrediant is not corn gluten. I like giving them stuff that is healthy and not made only of starches. Any good ideas would be awsome.

12. PAPOOSES

PAPOOSES Member

My dog eats my daughter's poo when she goes in her mini potty chair =P ::::blech:::: When I snatch it up too quick for her to do so I get the "evil eye" & a nasty snort of displeasure {LOL}

13. nightmarehippygirl

nightmarehippygirl LEVI'S MOMMY

somehow the word "poo" always cracks me up...sorry guys i just had to jump in.

my dog will eat cat poo, if given the opportunity, so we have to try to put the cat box where she can't get to it, which is funny, because then our fat cat can barely get to it either.

i've never had a dog that ate it's own poo...that's a new one to me.

14. /|\

/|\ Member

15. Animaliberation

Animaliberation Member

Yeah well they may like it but what about the animals iams hurts + kills to produce that food?