Stevia

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by mlo, Apr 16, 2007.

1. mlo

mlo Member

I got some Stevia, my market finally got some, and I'm wondering a few things. I got one that says "NO: saccarine, nutrasweet, aspertame, refined sugar, maltodextrin, fructose, artificial sweeteners of any kind" and I got Stevia Tabs as well, but the tabs did not say all the NO info on it and it's made by the same company, Sweet Leaf. The "other ingredients" for the Stevia Tabs are: sodium bicarbonate, citric acid, calcium phosphate, microcrystalline cellulose. I'm not sure what all of those are, but it does say all natural. Also, the stevia powder I got says 2 tablespoons=1 cup of sugar, does this mean that if I am cooking and a recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar I'd use 2 tablespoons? May sound like a silly question, but I just want to be sure, the volume is so different, I know it's because stevia is sweeter than sugar, its just new and strange to me. Thanks for your replys!

2. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

I use stevia a lot. I haven't really tried using it in baking, but I think I will just to see the result. It should work, but don't be sure until you've tried it. I know it works for sweetening Kool-Aid. You can sweeten a pitcher of Kool-Aid with a bit of Stevia on the end of a teaspoon, while the packet calls for a cup of sugar. It's great. Try putting about a sixth of a teaspoon on your tongue and you'll see just how sweet it is.