Step 9

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by wisp, Mar 5, 2012.

1. wisp

wisp Member

Grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference

Step 9
    Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

When you actually brings about in a physical way some sort of reparation for past behavior there is an inner imprint, which is made in the psyche of the addict.. Each time one cleans up a situation they caused to take place, a sense of return and renewal is felt. Step 8 is the beginning of the actualization of Steps 5, 6, and 7.

Through a true return to who you always were deep down inside, you begin planting the seeds for your own growth.

This is nothing short of penitence, and is indeed a very task-heavy step: the recovering addict uses your list from step eight and sets about making amends to the people they harmed, with one exception: "except when to do so would injure them or others."

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Through a true return to who you always were deep down inside, you begin planting the seeds for your own growth.

That line... I think that's one of the most beautiful ones.

I think one of the things that I understand about substance addiction is that a cycle of shame sets itself up inside a person, and that cycle takes on a life of its own, stalling out other growth a person would be experiencing.

So, yeah, that's why I especially like the line above. I think it has a huge message to bring about redeeming, reclaiming, rebuilding, regenerating, etc.

Thanks for sharing this, Wisp.

3. uitar9

uitar9 Member

Started my step 9

I had to take a deep breath and jump in.

I have received very supportive response from two remote family members. They were shocked by my news and I was stunned to learn of the alcoholism in different parts of my family.

If AA tells me I have to do this to stay sober, so be it

Thanks man

4. wisp

wisp Member

This is not an easy thing to do so i know how difficult it is uitar9 .i dont think i can ever make amends to those i hurt but i did the step and hope that one day they will atleast understand what i was going through and one day forgive me

5. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm proud of you guys!

6. uitar9

uitar9 Member

Resentments!! They were killing me.

I have now dealt with 4 people on my step 9 list and am keeping mindful of new situations daily. Life is becoming better for me (the promises???) and to my surprise and shock, those people who I have had resentments against. A simple program for sure, but damn hard to do.

Peace-trust all is well with you

7. uitar9

uitar9 Member

Despite a fairly thorough step 4, a couple of situations have come out of the old memory bank and I have dealt with them.

Felt much better because of it.

Chaired my first meeting today. Hadn't planned too. The small group asked me. Wasn't to bad, glad its out of the way

8. NurseSteve

NurseSteve Member

Remember to talk to a sponsor or trusted adviser before going out to do a 9th step. You should always be willing to accept rejection and go on with life, knowing that you have done your part and cleaned your slate.