Starting Guitar

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by Irminsul, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

So, I've decided I want to try guitar again. That's the first step, that's the good one okay phew I got that out of the way.

Now, what do I need to know?

I am going to not try and write my own music like I did last time, which inevitably lead me to quit very early as I didn't know anything but a few 10 second metallica intros lol.

So I am trying to find a free printable chords chart and just start like you should, with chords. :)

I don't really want to have any lessons, I know they'd be very handy and beneficial but I like discovering myself what I can do.

I have a fender telecaster and 100watt amplifier that will more than suit my needs. I would prefer an acoustic to begin with but I have a clean channel on my amp to use. I have an acoustic but it like a toy really, very cheap. I could re-string it and use it? I also need to restring my telecaster as the strings all yuck colors.

2. Uncut

Uncut Members

Your best bet is to take lessons, even if just a few to get your self started and to make sure you use the proper hand positions etc. Once you have the basics you an build from there. There are also many online video lessons, if you own a gaming console you can buy Rocksmith it's a great way to learn songs and have fun doing it.

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I tried multiple times without lessons, if I would make another attempt I would want a teacher or a friend teaching me.

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Sounds like you already know what you want. I've been taking lessons for the last year+. I already knew how to play, but I knew that I'm not any good. I will get to the point. The lessons program at guitar center is pretty neat. They have really knowledgeable instructors and I found the lessons to be a reliable source of interest. It wasn't boring. Now I was doing the Jazz curriculum, which is full of colorful chords that are a pain to get down, and I had learned from the Rock curriculum how to play the major modes which allowed me some different sounds for soloing. The point of telling you that is: that isn't where you start.

But if you learned I think you would enjoy. I don't recommend trying to learn by yourself. It just doesn't work. :) Hope this helps!

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Les Paul... Huge amp.... Turn it up to 11.

2 people like this.
  6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I suggest learning the Major and Minor Scales, and by learning them, learn the interval distances between each note in the scale, or put another way how far apart each note is from one another in a scale. Chords are just multiple notes in a scale played simultaneously . Playing within a particular scale can often dictate what key you're playing in.

For instance, say you wanted to play in A minor, you potentially have all the notes and chords you would ever need by just knowing that.

7. Banned Drama Queen

Banned Drama Queen Idiot

I hope you find more enjoyment this time around... I never took formal lessons as a kid but a few older kids who were good kind of took me under their wing and taught me when I was about 12... since then I haven't put the thing down...

...you could always start with YouTube tutorials if you don't want to get lessons... it's something to get you started and to see if you want to follow through with it... you could always get formal lessons later on...

... I wouldn't jump right into trying to play your own songs if you're not overly comfortable with how to play but you could fool around with some chords for the fun of it and see if anything sounds good together... and without the actual playing part you could physically write songs and then later try to put the two together and come up with a melody that fits...

...have fun with it and I hope it lasts for you! And if you're going to use that old guitar I would just make sure it's tuned properly... take it in somewhere, they usually do it for cheap

1 person likes this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

My fingers hurt and I may have already given up.

Well, no I want to print out my chords book first lol. And give that a go. Is it muscle memory at all? I mean I just always struggle trying to change chords. My fingers are retarded they dunno what they're doing. They also have a habit of touching other strings. But i really just want to be able to change from one simple chord to another at the moment. Like that's gotta be lesson one right??

The reason I don't want lessons is I'm rediculous at suffering from social anxiety. I just cannot do things while people are watching me. I've gotten better at this in other aspects but considering I cannot change simple chords, I will only get frustrated with the teacher and they will be frustrated with me.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have an electronic tuner. Yes I should do YouTube lol. I'm just such a ... impatient person so learning things really frustrates me I'm like that if im not good at it straight away then it's not going to work. I'm sure lots of people were like that with guitar though.

10. Banned Drama Queen

Banned Drama Queen Idiot

Everyone was a beginner at one time... Your fingers will definitely adapt and toughen up, so that part will be temporary... and a teacher shouldn't at all get frustrated... that's what you're there for, to learn something new...

...honestly like anything it will take some time to really get the hang of it, but once you kind of hear things come together for the first time (even if it's just a little) you'll get that feel good vibe... at least that's how I remember it...

...but ultimately, patience is the key... it's the hard things that make it so great once you've learned. :)

1 person likes this.
  11. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Your fingers will hurt like fuck and you will totally suck for the first couple of months. You will develop callouses on your fingers and sometimes your practice will seem not to be going anywhere at all. If you're okay with that, congrats you have what it takes to learn a couple of intros.

You should practice finger control, hitting the same pattern of cords for three minutes, trying not to mess up. Then select another pattern and do that for three minutes. It's a lot about boring repetition and building your hand muscles and coordination so that you reduce plucking the wrong things while performing. The point is to train your brain to intuitively understand where everything is. Don't think about ever becoming as good as Jimi Hendrix in your life and you should be an okay player in a couple of years.

There's a boatload of guitar lessons on youtube, designed by real professional guitar teachers. Adopt their exercise lessons and practice it daily.

P.S.

Finger practice aside, try avoiding learning songs that are boring to you.

1 person likes this.
  12. deleted

deleted Visitor

https://vimeo.com/167985315

2 people like this.
  13. StellarCoon

fuck that book! :D

14. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Marty on you tube can teach you Irm !

1 person likes this.
  15. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

http://youtu.be/iKP7DZmqdbU

1 person likes this.
  16. Uncut

Uncut Members

Guitar takes lots of patience.....I mean lots. You have to get in the mind set that if you don't practice you won't get better.

17. Banned Drama Queen

Banned Drama Queen Idiot

Agreed to the above statement... Don't get discouraged if it doesn't come as second nature... practice, patience and time are the keys to getting where you want...

...best of luck

18. morrow

morrow Visitor

Little one is using this..

https://youtu.be/Jg-BRpn38L8

1 person likes this.
  19. StellarCoon

I'd just stick to reading tab and learning how to move your fingers for the first year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUwMMHUrgnE

20. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Co-incidentally I got my old guitar out of the case for the first time in probably 2 or 3 years last night. Tuned her up, played through a few old folk songs, and back in the case again. Surprised that my playing, although a bit stiff to begin with, soon felt almost back to where I used to be. I could get there if I wanted to persevere. Singing voice though is shot to pieces. Probably I will not have the instrument out again for a while. Maybe ghosts live inside that case.

As to starting - it all depends on what you want to do. If you want to mainly accompany yourself singing, then learn chords, and try to learn how chords relate to each other. There are basic chord progressions that you find repeated over and over in rock music and folk music. When you know enough chords you will be able to play a lot of songs just from listening to them and experimenting.

If you want to play lead guitar then you need to learn scales. Well worth the effort. And even if you only want to be a strummer, it's still useful to know the main scales used in whatever idiom you want to play.

1 person likes this.