starting dreads

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by pbfanatic321, Jan 25, 2009.

1. pbfanatic321

pbfanatic321 Member

2. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

ok fuck that video that will only scrwew you up bad
    all theyre products and advice are scams
    second, is that how long your hair is now? if so, no methods are going to do much till its lil longer
    3-4 inches if u backcomb 4-6 if u go natural
    backcombing really doesnt speed things up that much and does alot of dammage in the process
    the knottyboy shit , they glue tyourt hairt with wax
    that traps dirt causes mold and very very few waxy dreads last long enought to really dread
    wax also stops movement needed to dread slowing the process alot
    but over time the hairs so gunked yup and sticky it looks like dreads withoyt ever really locking

forget u ever saw that vid..theyre scams destroy somanmy dreads and costs would be dreadies millions of dollars worldwide just for a sticky grosdss mess that needs to be cutr off

3. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie Member

You don't look fucked up, you just need to smile :]

4. pbfanatic321

pbfanatic321 Member

well my hair is about 3 inches now, just looks a little short in that picture.

also what are the steps in the natural process? and if i start the process with my hair for say 5 inches, will the dreads always stay 5 inches or grow longer? i never understood how that worked because if my hair grows it grows straight because i have straight hair, and wouldn't my hair more towards the root start to become straight pushing the dread up?

5. Thekarthika

Thekarthika Member

Lol. I use to be like this.
    Just relax. The natural way is just that - natural. You don't have to do anything. Stop brushing you hair, use resido free shampoos, have patience. After a while you could start separating and palm rolling(palm rolling really damages hair I've noticed) you'll be fine. Your hair will grow and dread up on it's own. Relax.

Btw, don't use wax. I've never heard of anyone pleased with it, and it's not natural.
    (thank gosh I never fell for it!)

6. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

i started mine naturaly at just a few inches ..lil longer then yoiurs but not much
    its now way past my toes

the hair at the rootrs will be straight..for an inch till its all tangled and knotted with the rest of the dreadf
    as the hair grows it dreads the dread becomes longer and longer

but u dont need to know the physics of it all u need to know idss it happens if u let it

7. Natures Love Child

Natures Love Child Member

My hair was almost as short as yours. It's been 2 months, havent seen much except for the hair going into it's own neat sections. I am sleeping with a wool hat on now. Just chill and let your hair do what it wants.

If you are going to backcomb wait till it's longer, I backcombed one section of mine to see what would happen and nothing.

8. menghele

menghele Member

the dreads in that vid looked gross :ack2:

9. ThePmiester

ThePmiester Member

As SE said :) Forget you saw that video ;)

10. captaindreadlock

captaindreadlock Member

that video sucks.

11. Thekarthika

Thekarthika Member

So I just watched that video a bit... Did she really say broken hairs keep dreadlocks together??
    Wtf?
    Where's her logic in that??

12. pbfanatic321

pbfanatic321 Member

nice sig, ska is the best!

also guys, what is some residue free shampoo i can buy at a local meijers or just some local store?

13. ThePmiester

ThePmiester Member

Cheers man :)