starsigns...

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by chickabean, May 23, 2004.

1. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

just a thought...who believes in starsigns? i mean, read horoscopes or classes themselves as a particular starsign? i find it really bizarre to be honest!! what is it that makes you think people fit into twelve differnet starsign groups becasue of the date on which they were born? doesnt make any sense to me...
    if you believe in starsigns, how far do you go with it? which horoscopes do you believ if you do? and why?
    do you really believe that you share personality traits with someone beacuse they are the same sign as you?

as i said, i find it very bizarre...!

love luchi xxx

2. butterfly

butterfly Member

I read mine, just to see what it has to say, but I don't believe that they are actually true, or that the month you are born has any significant effect over your personality.

3. kier

kier I R Baboon

if i have finished watching my paint dry then i sometimes look at them, just for the kick at the end of the week for none of it being true!

i find them more vague than weather forcasts :)

4. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

There are different schools of belief with astrology, all of which will tell you that newspaper horoscopes are a load of shite. Personally, I'm on the fence with the whole thing, but to play devil's advocate for a minute, the argument is not necessarily that you'll be affected by the stars on the day that you're born, but rather that there's a synchronicity between the patterns in the heavens and the patterns on earth. Rather than the stars affecting us, they reflect us. Think of it like fractals. The smaller pattern can be seen reflected in the larger pattern.

As I said, I'm on the fence, but I've seen too many coincidences to dismiss astrology out of hand. But don't get the shite that's in the papers confused with real astrology.

5. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

Yes, it is very bizarre ... personally I try not to have any superstitions, so in light of an overwhelming lack of evidence, I don't believe in anything like astrology, ESP, God ...

We obviously have a desire for things to be explained to us in a neat and easy-to-grasp way though, I think that explains a lot of superstition. If you're given all the answers about how to lead your life in a horoscope or a holy book it means you don't ever have to deal with the messy truth, which is that nothing means anything, we are all here through arbitrary chance and there's no point or purpose to anything we do...

"There is no magic, just science you don't understand."

6. DoktorAtomik

Just to play devil's advocate again.... astrology isn't about telling you how to lead your life or attempting to provide the answers. It's about providing you with the tools to better understand yourself and the way you interact with the world. I think there's a danger of people mistaking the 'predictive' astrology of the newspapers for real astrology, which it isn't. It's just entertainment.

7. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

im not really into it, i've looked at star charts birth charts, had my palms read, had a tarrot reading...i found things that i related to my life, but thats all it is really, its personally lookign and thinking "yeah that relates to me in this or that way" but its just you relating it, i dont think its divine or whatever

8. dhARmaMiLlO

dhARmaMiLlO Member

indeed, as Dok says, 'they reflect us'.
    To me the astrological bumph is no different from seeing faces in the wallpaper or clouds.

~
    [​IMG]

9. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

read earth medicine book and you may be surprised...

as has been said before horoscopes are crap but come on! the universe obviousely affects us.....please people surly you can see that?!?!
    so it makes sense that for the conditions to be right for our existence if we tudy them we can find out things about ourselves... but hey each to your own i gues...
    namaste
    x x x

10. Josh-e

Josh-e Member

It does, your star sign is just your inner self though, if you goto www.astro.com you can get a reading. theres much more too it, you have your rising sign (outa self), moon sign (emotions, responses etc), and all the other planets such as mars, jupiter, mercury, saturn, venus etc, you have a sign in each.

theres other stuff like what house you have the sign in, all very complicated but it all adds up to you, the individual.

I dont read horroscopes much, there is no point in reading ones in the paper anyway as they just cover star signs (your inner self) and are normally total bollocks, www.astro.com is good for more personalised horroscopes as it's taken from your birthchart. Mine have always been pretty spot on when I've gone on there.

11. Enonemouse

Enonemouse Happy Wanderer

I agree as they are very general. I tend to read them the day after and yes you can read something from your day into most any of them. However horoscopes are far more then just what month you are born, the place and time of birth have a lot to do with it as well as the date. You have loads of different things that effect you personally so all Leo's are not alike as they will all have differences in their charts. I am just learning all this on the Astrology forum myself as I am very interested in them but I have now gotten enough knowledge to know that unless you work with all the factors in your birth and just read newpaper horoscopes it isn't very acurate. Ones in papers have to be general as they are working with only one factor of many.

Oh yeah I am a Gemini / Cancer cusp.

Love & Laughter
    EnonEmouse

12. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

The conditions need to be right for our existence, but I'd say it probably has more to do with how drunk your dad is and where your mum is in her ovulation cycle than the alignments of planets and stars millions of light years away!

It's Occam's Razor - why assume vastly complicated explanations and possibilities before exhausting the simple ones? There may well be ways in which the forces in the universe affect us in subtle ways - gravitation, timespace and quantum particles are all things we don't fully understand. But unless and until someone can explain to me the mechanism by which it works, I'm extremely sceptical. If you build a belief system on a series of unverified assumptions it's like a house of cards - it has a tendency to come crashing down!

13. DoktorAtomik

But if you dismiss phenomena because you can't explain them with your current belief system, then you never learn anything new. I'd say the healthy option is to approach such subjects with an open but critical mind.

14. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

Couldn't agree more. Like I said, scepticism is the approach I always take. If things happen, they happen according to natural mechanisms. In the absence of evidence of such mechanisms I am disinclined to believe in any "mystical" phenomena. Show me a reasonable explanation for how such a thing might occur and I am all ears!

15. DoktorAtomik

Well I'm no expert in this area, but I understand that it's been demonstrated on a quantum level that the expectations of the observer can affect the results of an experiment. Given that there's no demonstrable physical connection between the observer and the observed, is it not reasonable to assume that a similar phenomenon might be at work in the realm of astrology?

Personally, I think it's pretty much superstition to say that the planets affect us directly, but it doesn't seem so far-fetched to consider the possibility that the patterns of our lives might be reflected in the larger patterns of the cosmos.

16. butterfly

butterfly Member

Astro.com:

Limitations Today you may become very conscious of the limitations imposed on you by circumstances and other people. Your task today is to not let yourself be overwhelmed by them. One effect of this influence is a sense of loneliness or inability to communicate with others. You feel that here is a gulf between you and others that you can't possibly cross. What you are experiencing is the real gulf that always exists between people. But there is no need to let that truth drag you down. You may not feel this effect psychologically, as described above. Instead you may find that you are actually unable to communicate with people, or that others constantly get in your way and hold you back. But you have to make compromises. If you are honest in expressing your needs to others, you should be able to work it out.

But it's all bollocks. If I think really really hard, this could, maybe, sort of, possibly, relate to one tiny experience of my day. But then I'm sure if you gave it to anyone they could do the same....
    I'd like to believe in starsigns because it would be bloody useful, but nah....
    And do other animals have horoscopes too? Or are they reserved for intelligent earth-based life forms only?

17. DoktorAtomik

But you're missing the point. Everyone's in agreement that the generalised astrology that's supposed to predict events based only on your sun-sign is bollocks. That's not what real astrology is about though. Real astrology encompasses a much wider range of factors to make much more specific character analyses, based upon your precise time, date and year of birth.

18. Mercy

Mercy Member

I only ever believe horoscopes which say positive things, so I guess that's not believing in them at all, it's just the tendency to like to hear that nice things will happen.

However, I have far to many traits of a Libra for it to be coincidence, I swear! There is not one 'typical' libra trait that I do not possess. And I think the same can be said for Fly too. So unless its just one big coincidence that we are both like that, I'd have to agree that the universe has some effect over us.

To be honest though, I really don't know enough about the supposed effects that the universe has upon us. If anyone has any recommended reading on this matter, I'd love to hear it.

19. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

Even weirder than that, the theory of quantum entanglement demonstrates that remote quantum particles under certain conditions can operate as a system. I don't understand it fully but the basic theory is that you measure the momentum or position of a particle in one location (in doing so altering its momentum / position), and the momentum or position you have measured is, with high probability, "transferred" to a remote particle. So quantum information has apparently been transmitted remotely by an unknown mechanism.

Bizarre quantum phenomena are clearly at work in the universe and we must approach these openly and critically. But it's hard to see how basic measurements like birth charts and planetary alignments can be exploited in such obvious ways to explain behaviour in such a simplistic manner. It looks very much like charlatanism - I doubt there's a single astrologer who has a degree in quantum mechanics! :p

I'd like to see an example of the "proper" astrology you mention; personally I've never seen any kind of astrological reading which cannotvery easily be dismissed as facile generalisation, superstition and nonsense!

20. Merlin

Merlin Member

I'm skeptical about horoscopes and all things supernatural and I also adhere to the 'there is no magic, only science we can't understand' rule. Besides, such a belief would totally contradict my beliefs of the existence of extra-terrestrial intelligence, science-based telepathy, (and just very recently) science-based meditation. Also, I think in a way it's good not believing in horoscopes because it implies that there is movement of celestial objects to determine your fate, only you choose your own fate. Unfortunately, most of my fate I cannot control!!